Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby amiller92 » April 5th, 2016, 11:14 am

Don't really care that much about authentic, but good should probably a minimum requirement. Only been to Pepitos once. It's in the neighborhood, so we'll probably go back eventually, but it wasn't good enough to become a regular stop. (Not unlikely the 58)

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 5th, 2016, 1:00 pm

I never understood why inauthentic foods are looked down on. If you like it, you like it. I like both (authentic and inauthentic) and fully understand the difference.
This. Hell, my girlfriend is Mexican-American and grew up eating the real thing, but even she'll go to Taco Bell and Chipotle too when the mood strikes. If anything, she's way more put off by the "upscale" Mexican restaurants that feel they have to fancy up traditional Mexican cuisine.

thom
Block E

Postby thom » April 5th, 2016, 1:04 pm

There will still be a place for mediocre non-authentic Mexican food in South Minneapolis!
So accurate. What is the deal with these types of places? (Dominguez is another, slightly better one) Were they opened decades ago before Minneapolis had a significant Mexican population and before white people had tasted actual Mexican food? How are they still in business?
You got it. I remember going to Pepitos with my parents when I was a little kid in the early 80s. It was pretty much exactly the same. Being the only source of "Mexican" food made it successful 40 or 50 or however many years ago they opened, and nostalgia and its status as a neighborhood institution is probably what's kept it alive for the last 20.
Last edited by thom on April 5th, 2016, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 1:04 pm

I'm left handed, sometimes I put food into my mouth with my right hand, and it tastes exactly what I thought it was going to taste like when I chose what kind of food I felt like buying that day. I'd highly recommend trying it. So cray.

*this also happens sometimes in North East... doesn't seem to matter what neighborhood
Last edited by Nathan on April 5th, 2016, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 5th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I'm sure using 'authentic' as a way to describe cuisine started out well intentioned. But whenever I've heard it used, it's been in a way to disparage the tastes of others and prop up something you like as 'superior.' Because something as varied and personal as what you like to eat has to be a competition to some people.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 5th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I'm left handed, sometimes I put food into my mouth with my right hand, and it tastes exactly what I thought it was going to taste like when I chose what kind of food I felt like buying that day. I'd highly recommend trying it. So cray.

*this also happens sometimes in North East... doesn't seem to matter what neighborhood
I do not understand this comment at all. But I really like it and can't stop rereading it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 5th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Just giving myself loose credibility with unrelated attributes in a little ode to putting whatever the hell you want to eat in your mouth.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 5th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I never understood why inauthentic foods are looked down on. If you like it, you like it. I like both (authentic and inauthentic) and fully understand the difference.
This. Hell, my girlfriend is Mexican-American and grew up eating the real thing, but even she'll go to Taco Bell and Chipotle too when the mood strikes. If anything, she's way more put off by the "upscale" Mexican restaurants that feel they have to fancy up traditional Mexican cuisine.
I'm sure using 'authentic' as a way to describe cuisine started out well intentioned. But whenever I've heard it used, it's been in a way to disparage the tastes of others and prop up something you like as 'superior.' Because something as varied and personal as what you like to eat has to be a competition to some people.
I eat at McDonald's sometime, and actually enjoy it. I still say it's crap.

Let me put it this way: if Pepito's never previously existed and opened for the first time today serving the exact same food in the exact same venue, it would be gone in a year and it's Yelp reviews would be absolutely abysmal.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 5th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Getting back to why we're even talking about this particular long-established local institution of debatable [food] quality and non-debatable [atmosphere] quality: we ate there yesterday for dinner and I most definitely had a beer and mrs.shoes most definitely had a sangria (and toddler.shoes ate very little aside from the fried ice cream). So they must have paid their taxes right quick.

Random tidbit: that letter from city hall is addressed to the non-homestead duplex across the street, which happens to be the registered office address for the business. That's only moderately interesting, but yeah. Second random tidbit: William Senkyr? Family of yours, Silophant?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 5th, 2016, 10:41 pm

That's a good question! I've never met the Pepito's Senkyrs, and I've asked various extended family members, none of whom have any knowledge of a branch of the family living in the Twin Cities. That being said, it's a vanishingly rare last name, even back in the Czech Republic, so it's really hard to believe that I'm not related to them.

I'll have to go eat there sometime and try to figure it out.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 9:14 am

FYI, Pepitos case is "deleted from agenda" which most certainly means they paid their taxes/fines. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meeting ... MSP-176737

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 7th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Cap's Grille is looking for support for their new brewpub addition. See their facebook page for more information.
The bill (SF 2987) to enable us to proceed with our project is being held up in the Senate because some want to avoid a vote on Sunday liquor sales. Please email/call Senate Majority Leader Bakk and encourage him to strongly support OUR project which will bring more jobs, more economic activity, and an environmentally sustainable and iconic building to Minneapolis! Tell him NOT to delay this due to politics because our small business cannot wait any longer, but *please* be cordial as well!
https://www.facebook.com/capsgrille/

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 7th, 2016, 7:52 pm

Sunday sales zealots deserve the blame if we don't get a liquor bill and a Capps brew pub.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 12th, 2016, 7:44 am

The only threads for Minneapolis restaurants is Downtown and Uptown so I'll post here.

The Blue Nile just closed after 30+ years of operation:

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/br ... ed-7883258
Looks like the owners hope the closing is temporary.
Turns out the Blue Nile closing was not temporary. The building has been completely demolished in the past few days. The rumor on the Seward e-democracy forum is that the Indian Health Board will be building a new clinic there. The IHB owns a couple parcels adjacent to Blue Nile, too.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 12th, 2016, 8:46 am

Well damn. There was probably an attractive building or two buried under that horrible exterior. Tax records date at least part of the structure to 1901. Hopefully we do get something more than a parking lot.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 12th, 2016, 10:26 am

Crazy. Did they file the paperwork for this? I don't see anything at the HPC.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 12th, 2016, 12:08 pm

I didn't even see a permit posted

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 13th, 2016, 9:19 am

Blue Nile site this morning:

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 13th, 2016, 12:07 pm

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 13th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Does "Result: STOP" mean it got a stop-work order?