Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Wedgeguy » July 5th, 2014, 7:50 am

Oh no! I loved Anodyne. It had a really cool vibe. At least we get Bull Run as a consolation, and Five Watt up on 38th is a great new space. Speaking of which, a restaurant with full liquor license is going in on the northeast corner of 38th & Nicollet.
My only beef is, if I wanted to go to Bull Run I'd go to Bull Run. Anodyne had its own vibe and the baked goods were good and cheap: never did try the food.
Minneapolsite you will fit in nicely with the NIBMY crowd, who never want anything to change. The owner's of Anodyne's enjoyed their time running the place and now have decided they want to do other things with their lives. You really need to get over your beefs. Life changes around you every second of the day, so grow up and leave your beefs to yourself. After the last beef you had, I have a very low tolerance level with you and I'm sure a few more on here that feel the same way. I'm not picking on you, but telling you it is time to grow up. The world truly does not revolve around you.

So before you post anything in the future I'd hope that you would ask yourself if it will truly be something that contributes to all on here with facts. Rants are not facts, and rants make you look childish! (He steps off soapbox)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 6th, 2014, 8:28 am

Beef, it's whats for dinner.
Last edited by seanrichardryan on July 6th, 2014, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » July 6th, 2014, 9:54 am

Calm down Wedgeguy, its just the internet.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 6th, 2014, 11:16 am

Exactly. Its the internet. Freedom to argue woo

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 6th, 2014, 11:54 am

Minneapolsite you will fit in nicely with the NIBMY crowd, who never want anything to change.
Eh, it's not that he never wants anything to change, its that he only wants changes that have a direct positive effect on him personally. Things that have a negative effect on him personally but an overall positive effect (Pride), or no effect on him at all (St. Anthony Tower proposal) are bad, bad, bad.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 7th, 2014, 9:12 am

I can't count the number of hours that I spent at Anodyne. In grad school, I felt like I lived there on weekends. Alchemy Architects do thought-provoking work and the space was nice if smallish and in need of maintenance/refresh. I actually went there for a coffee last week only to find a sign on the door that said, "We love you all and we are out" <paraphrased>. It looked like the employees were inside having a goodbye gathering - they gave me a cheers with their cups/glasses.

With all of that said, I just finished a delicious coffee from Bull Run on Lyndale and while I was waiting, I sat at a large table with cleverly designed seats that swung out from below and peered over at the display shelving assembled from black steel pipe, and a "tin" ceiling that may or may not have been original to the space. Simple, elegant and comfortable. I asked them about the Anodyne space and the gal said, "We are keeping the food menu for the most part, we are just bringing our coffee over."

Change is the only constant, etc and I'm excited that what appears to be a good, independent company that cares about design and good coffee is moving into the Anodyne space.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 7th, 2014, 11:20 am

i live a half block from anodyne. nice place but honestly don't miss all the car traffic/parking issues that place generated. probably a wash with bull run taking over. if they keep the sebastion joes i'll be fine. 43rd nicollet intersection has turned into a nice little mix of uses.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2014, 12:17 pm

Nicollet has great sections right now. Between 42 and 47th there is a nice grouping of businesses that are doing quite well. The section between 38th and 33rd is an up and coming area with some new and strong new businesses that are making the street a strong retail destination and much more walkable. Eat Street is great, but does have some big gaps on certain blocks. It has come along way since 20 years ago. With the opening of Nicollet I hope that we see a strong multiple store front built along Nicollet from 31st to 27th. Retail stores and not just restaurants are needed to make it a full time walkable street.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 8th, 2014, 9:09 am

South Minneapolis eatery 3 Tiers closes
July 8, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... loses.html

Nokomis neighborhood favorite 3 Tiers Bakery and Bistro closed its doors over the holiday weekend.
City Pages reports on the closing of the five-year-old Minneapolis restaurant, which was officially announced Sunday on 3 Tiers' Facebook page. ...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 8th, 2014, 9:23 am

That's a thriving corner - something else will materialize in the space.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 8th, 2014, 11:32 am

There is construction happening on the southeast corner of 45th and Nicollet in the old dry cleaner or whatever was there too.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 8th, 2014, 11:44 am

Minneapolis has an RFP for 628 E Franklin, an absolutely gorgeous but abandoned structure:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 127798.pdf

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 8th, 2014, 12:02 pm

South Minneapolis eatery 3 Tiers closes
July 8, 2014
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... loses.html

Nokomis neighborhood favorite 3 Tiers Bakery and Bistro closed its doors over the holiday weekend.
City Pages reports on the closing of the five-year-old Minneapolis restaurant, which was officially announced Sunday on 3 Tiers' Facebook page. ...
Dammit! They did our wedding cake and it was outstanding.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 8th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Minneapolis has an RFP for 628 E Franklin, an absolutely gorgeous but abandoned structure:
Posted before, but...Sabri. :(

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 09763.html

EDIT: Clarification: not Basim.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 8th, 2014, 12:57 pm

FINALLY.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 8th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I heard a French cafe is going to open up in the old Town Talk Diner space.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 8th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Yes,

'Le Town Talk French Diner & Drinkery'

http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Foodie-File/Jul ... Town-Talk/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 28th, 2014, 10:08 am

Went past the Penn Ave reconstruction on 50th Street over the weekend and noticed that Broder's has a brand new curb cut into their parking lot from 50th. You can tell from Street View that there used to be a cut in that spot, but it had long since been blocked off by planters and the cut converted to curb. I have no idea what the post-reconstruction plan is for accessing their lot, but it would be unfortunate if they retain two cuts—one on each of 50th and Penn.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 28th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Glad to see the former Java Jack's returning to a coffee shop at 46th and Bryant...
http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/bi ... 6th-bryant

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 29th, 2014, 6:59 am

that's awesome, it's such a great litte sidewalk space there. perfect for a coffeeshop.