Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 19th, 2016, 8:16 am

Mount Olivet Careview down at 55th/Lyndale has an expansion underway http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... -underway/

I don't remember seeing this go through any meetings, was it all by-right and just required a site plan review? In any case, the drawing looks nice.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 19th, 2016, 8:38 am

Pretty sure this went through the planning commission a while back. I seem to recall some concerns about the setbacks to that poor house on Garfield.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 26th, 2016, 9:18 am

I think we've talked about this building somewhere. I'm guessing under that hideous siding is something of value.
Burma-Shave building destined to be torn down.
http://www.startribune.com/it-may-be-ra ... 337099421/
https://goo.gl/maps/rFYGdUkNKVr
Sue Weir linked to this photo on facebook:

That's why this building is so odd looking. It started life in 1892 as a church!

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 188376.pdf

Also note the 1999 pics. I had forgotten how it looked before the vinyl. There was once some nice detail there.
Heard it from the grapevine that the HPC approved the demolition of this structure last night.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 26th, 2016, 11:43 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 31st, 2016, 10:28 am

Nearly a full block of redevelopment on the SE corner of Bloomington and Lake (just north of the 55407 post office) proposed by PPL et al.
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 189061.pdf

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 31st, 2016, 11:14 am

What's up with that massive parking lot in the middle of the block?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 31st, 2016, 11:52 am

The grassy site used to be the Bloomington Lake Fairview medical clinic, which burned down a few years ago. I'd guess that the parking lot used to serve that clinic.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 31st, 2016, 12:04 pm

I meant the one in the new plans:

The PPL buildings are great, but the Family Partnership building is only two stories, has a drive-through(!), and has a parking lot bigger than the actual building.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » October 31st, 2016, 12:50 pm

I meant the one in the new plans:

The PPL buildings are great, but the Family Partnership building is only two stories, has a drive-through(!), and has a parking lot bigger than the actual building.
Oddly, the image on page 14 of the packet shows three stories on the FP Building, but the description on page two only says 2 stories. Also, it mentions offices and a potential Fairview clinic. Those will "require" some parking. Also, there is no drive through, so I have no idea what you are talking about there. They have a drop-off in back and are removing all curb cuts from Lake Street.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 31st, 2016, 12:57 pm

Oops, you're right about the drive-through, I misread (the existing building has one).

Sure, the office building will need some parking. But it's disappointing to see such a massive asphalt expanse (even screened, and with a playground) when the two PPL buildings would have underground parking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 31st, 2016, 12:59 pm

Ya that's an outline of the existing building.

That said, I definitely do have concerns with a "landscape buffer and playground" insulating a parking lot from a street. Put the playground on that center courtyard, which is the more natural spot to play in the first place. Then put in a storefront or a couple townhomes loaded to Bloomington Ave onto that playground site.

Regarding surface lot - if they could live with 18 spaces less than the current plan, they could do a single parking aisle through the site east to west loaded with 18 parking spaces on each side. There's plenty of street parking on 16th, 31st, etc.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » October 31st, 2016, 1:59 pm

Ya that's an outline of the existing building.

That said, I definitely do have concerns with a "landscape buffer and playground" insulating a parking lot from a street. Put the playground on that center courtyard, which is the more natural spot to play in the first place. Then put in a storefront or a couple townhomes loaded to Bloomington Ave onto that playground site.

Regarding surface lot - if they could live with 18 spaces less than the current plan, they could do a single parking aisle through the site east to west loaded with 18 parking spaces on each side. There's plenty of street parking on 16th, 31st, etc.
The playground is attached to the FP building because it serves the Child Care Center planned for part of the office space. I think that moving it away from the street would be better too, but moving over to the courtyard space would not be an option with the parking lot in the middle.

The proposal states that 52 parking spaces are required by code after the Pedestrian Overlay discount. This parking lot has 54. They say it could be reduced further with bike parking credits. I don't think it would be possible to move all of the parking under the FP building with it's current size. Aside from that, there are the normal budget concerns and also the basic fact that people prefer surface parking for visibility and ease of use even though it is relatively unattractive.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » November 4th, 2016, 8:10 am

Construction going on at 3400 42nd Ave S, across from Turtle Bread. This used to be Keller's Auto Service. The business going in there is Belle's ToolBox, http://belles-toolbox.blogspot.com/

Not much info on it yet, but this is from the remodeling inspection permit details:

APPROX 13 X 17 RESTROOM/ENTRY ADDITION & DETACHED APPROX 14 X 18 GAZEBO AT BUSINESS (JAG # 2)
TRAINING AND SKILL DEVELOPMENT NOT WITHIN A SCHOOL OR ACADEMIC PROGRAM BUSINESS.
APPROX 2390 GROSS SF. NEW ENTRY/RESTROOM AND GAZEBO TO HAVE ONE HOUR CONSTRUCTION AND MAXIMUM 10% OPENINGS AT 5 FT TO SOUTH P/L PER TABLES 602 AND 705.8.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 4th, 2016, 8:38 am

I thought that was going to be a children's play center (which seemed an odd fit for an old polluted gas station). They took down the original 'crackerbox' service station building that had a fatal looking crack through the middle. The remaining block structure could really use some pizazz.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 8th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Looks like a retail building is being erected in the tiny vacant lot southeast corner of Lake and 5th Ave S.

I'm out and about so I'm not gonna research it now, but I'd bet it's a Sabri project. Kinda wild that he's basically the only developer building new small scale, walkable, affordable general retail spaces. (Like this project: https://goo.gl/maps/ThCXdtyqW6n)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 8th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Isn't Sabri building a parking ramp on that corner?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 9th, 2016, 8:46 am

Adrian's Tavern (at 48th & Chicago) is closing. A new bar will open in it's stead.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/be ... /405478595

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » December 9th, 2016, 8:58 am

Adrian's Tavern (at 48th & Chicago) is closing. A new bar will open in it's stead.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/be ... /405478595
There have been rumors going around that Town Hall is involved... no idea if that means new concept or just an expansion of THT.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 9th, 2016, 1:17 pm

I too agree that there should be a coffee shop at 34th and 46th. I think it's close enough to the Blue Line stop that it could get some of that morning walkshed traffic, but it's more "neighborhoody" than the Oaks Station Place. And I have no idea how that Oaks Station Place storefront will fill without street parking on 46th or Hiawatha.
Sounds like a brewpub is planning to open in this space. The owners recently were canvassing the neighborhood to seek approval for adjusting the parking times for neighborhood residents slightly. It's Venn Brewery: http://vennbrewery.com/.
They said they hoped to open by summer.

I'll be anxiously waiting!

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » December 9th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Nice! Thanks for the update and link. I was hoping for something that would cater more to the AM crowd, but PM is probably a better bet for that spot. Wonder if there's room for more than 1 establishment there? A small coffee shop in addition to the brewery would be perfect.