Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » March 19th, 2014, 7:35 am

How far "south" does this thread go?

Just wondering where the "Southwest Moratorium" discussion is being had...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 19th, 2014, 8:06 am

It's actually in the Politics subforum, though discussion of housing in that area would qualify for this thread.
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2288

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 19th, 2014, 8:18 am

It's actually in the Politics subforum, though discussion of housing in that area would qualify for this thread.
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2288
Thanks!

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » March 25th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Busters on 28th/42nd has started their rebuild.
Finally!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 31st, 2014, 3:27 pm

I found a great vacant site in Whittier for sale for UrbanMSP to do our first Kickstarter development ;)
http://www.edinarealty.com/landlots-for ... -106960355

At the very minimum, you could put a 4-unit here and potentially quite a bit more. It's zoned OR2. Up to 4-stories of multi-fam residential, only limited by the Floor Area Ratio (FAR) and massive amount space you'd have to dedicate to parking.

How long has this been vacant? What used to be there?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 31st, 2014, 3:47 pm

Hmm. It has newer looking curb cut dead center into the lot, per Streetview. Makes me think that maybe it was an overflow parking lot for the building across the street?

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » April 1st, 2014, 8:29 am

I found a great vacant site in Whittier for sale for UrbanMSP to do our first Kickstarter development ;)
http://www.edinarealty.com/landlots-for ... -106960355

At the very minimum, you could put a 4-unit here and potentially quite a bit more. It's zoned OR2. Up to 4-stories of multi-fam residential, only limited by the Floor Area Ratio (FAR) and massive amount space you'd have to dedicate to parking.

How long has this been vacant? What used to be there?
I remember a sign with a nice looking drawing hanging from a chainlink fence touting a new 4-plex here, that had to be at least 6 years ago? if my memory is right the rundown/vacant house that was here was torn down 1-2 years before that.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 1st, 2014, 8:36 am

How about the lot across from the CC Club and Treehouse Records? Has there ever been anything slated for that spot? Seems like someone would want to build something there?

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.955293, ... Zoqv-A!2e0

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 1st, 2014, 8:53 am

The owners of the French Meadow own that piece of property. They made the mistake of assuming that they would buy it and make a parking lot. They should have done their homework and known that parking lots are a fight till you die proposition in many neighborhood. Apparently they don't read Urban to enlighten themselves on what is good and what is not acceptable.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » April 1st, 2014, 11:01 am

Sioux Falls pizza restaurant expanding to Minneapolis
Boss' Pizza and Chicken is opening a Minneapolis location, its first outside of South Dakota.

Owner Jeremy Seefeldt, who has Boss' in Sioux Falls, said the restaurant should be open in the next few weeks at 5501 34th Ave. S. in south Minneapolis, minutes from the Mall of America and the hotels that surround the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
A new pizza place in the Nokomis area.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 1st, 2014, 2:40 pm

Have we seen any plans for the Beek's Pizza site, near 54th and Lyndale?

Apparently plans are working their way through approvals.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 1st, 2014, 2:47 pm

Have we seen any plans for the Beek's Pizza site, near 54th and Lyndale?

Apparently plans are working their way through approvals.
2000 Sq Ft each. Wow, that's nothing to sneeze at! I wonder what his target demographic is for them? Maybe some 3 bedrooms for families?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 1st, 2014, 2:56 pm

Hmmm, I wonder how much of that parking lot would be included in the redevelopment—if any. The land beneath the burned out building itself has a different owner than the two parcels to the north and is only 7000 sq ft total. Granted, 7000 / 4 = "close to 2000 square feet each", so it might just be that one lot.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

TommyT
Target Field

Former Dunn Bros, Tattoo shop, bike shop, quizno's Etc bldng

Postby TommyT » April 2nd, 2014, 6:57 am

Hey, so as I was driving to work this morning I was thinking about how long that building at the intersection of Ridgewood and Lyndale had been empty (about 2 1/2 years now if not longer). I know it's an awful location with the parking exiting out toward downtown but you would think with foot traffic of people heading downtown at LEAST a coffee shop could survive there. Apparently, that's not the case since Dunn Bros tried twice.

I'm just curious what you guys think might be a good and viable option for that building? Tear it down and build something else? If so, what? Or might there be a business model who may be able to survive there?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » April 26th, 2014, 10:45 am

A unique, low-key bar would be great: the northern stretch of Lyndale is lacking in nightlife. Rudolph's doesn't go nearly far enough with the 20s theme, since it feels and looks like a generic sports bar aside from a couple of touches here and there. Mortimer's, well, it's cheap. Maybe a Grumpy's South in the vein of Grumpy's NE: dim, quirky dark decor, good jukebox, great beers on tap, and the menu is Heggie's. Or a Pat's Tap-like bar would be welcome too. There's a reason both places alike are hard to find a seat at because it's full not just with neighborhood locals, but people from other sides of the cities who make the effort to go because they're that good. In many instances I can think of it's either a great bar, restaurant, or small live music venue that sits out by itself on the otherwise quiet outskirts of a neighborhood and is the only kind of locale with any sign of life after 5 that packs people in .

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 26th, 2014, 1:09 pm

You already have a low key bar in the area. It's Red Dragon. Just sit on the dining room side.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 26th, 2014, 3:36 pm

What about the CC? Or is that too far south?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 7th, 2014, 9:14 am

So, this Rainbow deal today leaves the Hi-Lake store branded as a Rainbow owned by Cub, across the street from Cub. Can this node support two big box grocers? I doubt it.

Which would be better?

Scenario 1: Rainbow closes, and 27th Ave is restored as an actual urban street between the Schooner and Denny's.

Scenario 2: Rainbow is remodeled into Cub. Target acquires Cub property and builds a new SuperTarget at the north end of the superblock (ideally with structured parking, something like the Hilldale Target in Madison) thereby allowing the southern half of the superblock between Hiawatha, Lake, and Minnehaha to be redeveloped.

Any other scenarios? Decades of big box vacancy?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 7th, 2014, 9:40 am

I'd like it if something was built that was more LRT friendly along Lake St there. The Target sort of has a grocery department and is sort of LRT adjacent (but boy, you gotta want it). Currently with both Cub and Rainbow I don't think the area could support a Super Target, but with one of those going away maybe it could happen. But I wouldn't say it's needed there.

I also think that the current Cub is bigger than the Rainbow, so I can't see them making a move to the smaller store (though I could be wrong about the size). Looking at the footprint of teh buildings, they're pretty close, but Cub looks slightly bigger. The Cub also has a pharmacy which the Rainbow does not. Rainbow is fronted by a strip mall with four or five businesses that are essentially occupying space in the existing building. You could rip those out and have room for a pharmacy but overall I don't see much reason for Cub to move.

Maybe the best hope would be to restore 27th, tear down the Rainbow (in a way that preservers that strip mall if possible, because with 27th restored they'd face the street and be pretty good urbanism). Build apartments or something behind the strip mall on the block east of 27th, and redevelop the parking lot west of 27th as well. I don't think this area warrants structured parking yet, but it is with a half mile of the Hiawatha LRT station so it could be warranted. Though structured parking could raise the price of units quite a bit here, and as much as I love my 'hood, ain't nobody gonna pay $2 a square foot a month to rent in the ghetto.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » May 7th, 2014, 10:01 am

I looked through some of the articles, and to me it wasn't clear if the Hi-Lake Rainbow is going to be fully owned by Supervalu. According to this article, Supervalu will own 100% of only 2 Rainbow stores. Not clear which ones those are. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/superv ... 2014-05-07

Am I reading that right? So the Hi-Lake Rainbow might be owned by partially by Supervalu and partially owned by the other grocers involved in the deal. That would seem to make the re-development calculation a bit more complicated.