Southside - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower
Posts: 833
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 8:34 am
Location: Kingfield

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby LakeCharles » June 20th, 2014, 11:55 am

Oh no! I loved Anodyne. It had a really cool vibe. At least we get Bull Run as a consolation, and Five Watt up on 38th is a great new space. Speaking of which, a restaurant with full liquor license is going in on the northeast corner of 38th & Nicollet.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6211
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » June 20th, 2014, 1:04 pm

MNdible wrote:I'm sure the two are related, but the owners who leave very nearby are also selling their house.
How do you know everything?? :lol:

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 20th, 2014, 2:15 pm

mattaudio wrote:Sad news! Any idea why?

Edit:
We are excited to announce that Bull Run Coffee Bar will be opening in this space a few weeks after we close.
Wow. Gut punch.

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome
Posts: 56
Joined: January 15th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby LyndaleHoosier » June 20th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Gut punch to you or gut punch to Anodyne? I think the article I read stated Anodyne sold to Bull Run, so maybe they were just ready to be done with the coffee biz.

blobs
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 164
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby blobs » June 21st, 2014, 7:19 pm

Is Bull Run any good? Never been to Anodyne.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center
Posts: 277
Joined: December 3rd, 2012, 8:20 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 22nd, 2014, 1:44 pm

Bull Run is excellent. So was Anodyne. Kind of a wash. Good coffee is here to stay in the Minneapolis market, so there will be churn in the actual vendors.

Tyler
Foshay Tower
Posts: 881
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:10 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Tyler » June 22nd, 2014, 8:27 pm

Bull Run is ok. It's gone way down hill since the five watt guys left. Anodyne was a cool space with bad/mediocre coffee so Bull run is probably an upgrade in that sense. Especially if they hire a decent barista or two.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5832
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby MNdible » June 23rd, 2014, 9:05 am

twincitizen wrote:
MNdible wrote:I'm sure the two are related, but the owners who leave very nearby are also selling their house.
How do you know everything?? :lol:
This is my 'hood.

Meanwhile, I apparently don't know how to spell "live".

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 23rd, 2014, 1:26 pm

LyndaleHoosier wrote:Gut punch to you or gut punch to Anodyne? I think the article I read stated Anodyne sold to Bull Run, so maybe they were just ready to be done with the coffee biz.
Gut punch to me. I've spent a LOT of time there. I have a high level of respect for Alchemy Architects and the food/coffee/ethos is great.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6211
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » June 25th, 2014, 8:38 am

Does anyone know exactly where on the Borton Volvo block that Walgreens is going?

It's too bad they aren't replacing the gas station at the corner instead, leaving the rest of the block for development. Walgreens is likely going to suck up a lot of land, perhaps more than they have now. I wish they'd wait for a larger mixed-use development to come forward and partner with. That would also be the best way to screen a drive through from the rest of the neighorhood: incorporate it into a larger building. Instead we're getting the standard suburban formula. On the bright side, maybe, maybe something great will be built on the current Walgreens site that has excellent street frontage and 3-4 stories of apartments.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7942
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » June 25th, 2014, 8:49 am

I thought I saw in one article that Walgreens was going to remodel/reuse the existing dealership building.

twincitizen
Moderator
Posts: 6211
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm
Location: Standish-Ericsson

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » June 25th, 2014, 9:09 am

Interesting...

Now that I look at the whole area, that entire west side of Lyndale could be redeveloped between 54th and 56th. Eventually down to 58th after we sort out the MN-121 situation. Matt, ever get any feedback from your council member on that issue? I recall emailing him a couple years ago and got no response.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 25th, 2014, 9:20 am

twincitizen wrote:Interesting...

Now that I look at the whole area, that entire west side of Lyndale could be redeveloped between 54th and 56th. Eventually down to 58th after we sort out the MN-121 situation. Matt, ever get any feedback from your council member on that issue? I recall emailing him a couple years ago and
got no response.
Agreed but it appears that grand ideas are going to be destroyed by a suburban Walgreen's with a giant sea of parking followed by a CVS with another giant sea of parking. Just disgusting...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7942
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » June 25th, 2014, 9:20 am

The west side of Lyndale is in the 13th Ward, so someone better ask Linea.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 25th, 2014, 9:27 am

twincitizen wrote:Does anyone know exactly where on the Borton Volvo block that Walgreens is going?

It's too bad they aren't replacing the gas station at the corner instead, leaving the rest of the block for development. Walgreens is likely going to suck up a lot of land, perhaps more than they have now. I wish they'd wait for a larger mixed-use development to come forward and partner with. That would also be the best way to screen a drive through from the rest of the neighorhood: incorporate it into a larger building. Instead we're getting the standard suburban formula. On the bright side, maybe, maybe something great will be built on the current Walgreens site that has excellent street frontage and 3-4 stories of apartments.
Pretty small site. Imagine a 24' wide ramp down to a lower level (probably 2 levels given how small the site is) and what that 24' wide swath would do to the ground level on either the Lyndale side or the Diamond Lake side. It *may* be possible to put such a ramp at the far south side of the site but it may not be possible to get the ramp to slope quickly enough in the depth of the site west-to-east. Even if it is possible, the "math" on this kind of thing is that once you consider building underground parking, the cost of the building gets high very quickly. In order to offset that, developers want to maximize density for a better return. Thus, we get the zero lot line, "5 over 1" stick framed things that are currently dotting the city. Believe me, I want mixed use buildings but this site is tricky...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7942
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » June 25th, 2014, 9:32 am

So the barrier to smaller-scale mixed use is parking.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 25th, 2014, 8:35 pm

mattaudio wrote:So the barrier to smaller-scale mixed use is parking.
Sadly, yes.

I've posted in other threads that I think representatives from the city should be at neighborhood meetings for a discussion about what the city goals are. The neighborhood group's ideas tend to be a bit...fantastical and generally are diametrically opposed to city goals (comp plans). The city might be open to less parking, especially at "transit nodes" but neighborhoods FREAK ABOUT people parking on their street.

Not to put all of the onus on the city and neighborhoods. It is difficult to rent a "market rate" unit without a parking stall so developers generally push for a lot of parking (if they can afford it).

With all of that said, digging a 25' deep hole and then building a bunch of concrete framing to house cars is VERY expensive and you aren't even out of the ground yet or have anything that you could actually generate revenue from.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower
Posts: 818
Joined: November 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Archiapolis » June 30th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Archiapolis wrote:
LyndaleHoosier wrote:Gut punch to you or gut punch to Anodyne? I think the article I read stated Anodyne sold to Bull Run, so maybe they were just ready to be done with the coffee biz.
Gut punch to me. I've spent a LOT of time there. I have a high level of respect for Alchemy Architects and the food/coffee/ethos is great.
Confirmed closed. Went today - sign on the door and an employee party. They waved and toasted me.

Minneapolisite

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby Minneapolisite » July 4th, 2014, 12:43 pm

LakeCharles wrote:Oh no! I loved Anodyne. It had a really cool vibe. At least we get Bull Run as a consolation, and Five Watt up on 38th is a great new space. Speaking of which, a restaurant with full liquor license is going in on the northeast corner of 38th & Nicollet.
My only beef is, if I wanted to go to Bull Run I'd go to Bull Run. Anodyne had its own vibe and the baked goods were good and cheap: never did try the food.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3940
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby seanrichardryan » July 4th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Well the owners sold and left... So.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.


Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests