Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Postby David Greene » March 13th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Without being there David, you don't know what was said and the attitude of those that said what they did. There was a few that had substance, but too many were substituting the word we, for what should have been ME. I want, I think, I feel when it was not every ones opinion. As one lady said, "We don't want anymore people in the neighborhood. They can find someplace else to live in the city!" So the mind set is let them be someone else's issue. These people live in the dark ages when flight to the suburbs was king. Now it is the opposite.
I can guess pretty well what was said. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about *us*, those that want to see this project happen. We need to be smarter about how we engage decision-makers.

I don't really care what "crazy" things other people say. I care about what *I* say. And it's a total waste of time to respond to arguments that you think are "crazy." Present what you want, not your reaction to what other people want.

["you" in the communal sense]

This is really just organizing 101.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 13th, 2014, 1:05 pm

They basically called on people that they already knew from the neighborhood vs getting any real opinion from any others that were there to ask questions. it was 90% against vs anyone being able to add a pro development stance. This area will be redeveloped and it will not be low density. Sooner or later the pressures for housing will make for the density. Especially as close to downtown as this neighborhood is.

Like I said in last nights post. This is only the beginning of a long drawn out process. There will be several more meetings if things keep going as slowly as they have.

FYI: SPD was very on target with his statement before his frustration got the best of him. He did bring out good points that never acknowledged.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 13th, 2014, 2:24 pm

From the Strib blog post (that matt has already skewered in his comments):
“If it's going to go the way of the southern part of the wedge along the [Midtown] Greenway has gone, then I think we’ve all got something to regret,” Forney said. “Because that’s a categorical mess down there. It’s just awful what’s happened.”
Because replacing three blocks of abandoned lumber yard and at least two blocks of weeds with quality apartments is a "categorical mess"? WTF?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 13th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Having lived in Whittier since 1985 - this neighborhood drama is par for the course. The loud voices of the Wedge and Whittier seem to want these neighborhoods to be "better" but really hates development. I find it very frustrating. Development is not the holy grail - but is does bring in residents who shop the local stores (holding back the national chains) and walk the streets increasing safety and the diversity of a neighborhood. 6 stories is not even as tall as the top of the hill at Franklin and Hennepin. Including more parking would help to get more of the cars off the street - I walk, ride and drive through that intersection multiple times each day - it would be ideal to not have as much street parking along that two block stretch. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is the TRANSIT = DENSITY. There is no other way to improve the system while not supporting bigger developments to increase density.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I'd say the neighborhood actually got some wins out of the first meeting, mainly additional set backs to the neighboring properties and elimination of the 'park.' Now, if they could build decent, leasable, store friendly retail spaces instead of the current recessed jail bar design...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

WestCoastDude
Block E

Postby WestCoastDude » March 13th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Unfortunately some people when they come to public meetings come to complain about all the other issues going on. One man kept interrupting and insisted that we need to get the cars off the road and more transit. Great! Sign me up! Another guy kept impugning the integrity of the developer, "Oh what about Project X that you did?" He said. He later asked who was gonna pay for the traffic study. The developer said they would pay for it. Then this guys says "Yea, then the study will be biased". OK, so dude...WTF? No wonder we had the asteroid comment come forth!!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » March 13th, 2014, 8:40 pm

From the Strib blog post (that matt has already skewered in his comments):
“If it's going to go the way of the southern part of the wedge along the [Midtown] Greenway has gone, then I think we’ve all got something to regret,” Forney said. “Because that’s a categorical mess down there. It’s just awful what’s happened.”
Because replacing three blocks of abandoned lumber yard and at least two blocks of weeds with quality apartments is a "categorical mess"? WTF?
I live near the Greenway and the development that is going is the best thing to happen to Minneapolis in years. New housing and new residents are not a bad thing at least I don't think so.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 13th, 2014, 9:41 pm

You know what they say about opinions....

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2014, 10:53 pm

I'm all about this project, and am looking forward to potentially having a nicer walk to the Wedge ~2 times a week.

But just to be clear, almost nothing has really been shot down by "NIMBYs" in the past five years. I mean, you have Linden Corner, 24th and Colfax, and the Dinkytown Hotel. Aside from that, you have thousands and thousands of new units built, billions of dollars worth of investment, and cranes everywhere. Clearly, a lot of the people who show up to public meetings and expect continuous continuity in their neighborhood forever maybe aren't thinking entirely straight, but let's not veer too far to the other side here.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 13th, 2014, 11:32 pm

The developer said he wanted to start this summer but isn't because of opposition, NIMBYs may not be shutting it down but where else is this opposition coming from if not the NIMBYs that is preventing this from starting when planned?

Second, someone said a gym owner was there against this, was the gym The Movement Minneapolis?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2014, 9:05 am

But just to be clear, almost nothing has really been shot down by "NIMBYs" in the past five years.
Thanks for this, Nick.

Neighborhood meetings can be excruciating, no doubt. But I think if we were looking at things with clear eyes, we'd see that more projects are improved by going through the neighborhood process than hurt by it. When I say "improved" here, I'm talking about their benefit to the public realm as opposed to the benefit to the developers.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 14th, 2014, 9:18 am

So, when it all comes down to it... how much do the people of the neighborhood actually have a say in whether or not a project goes through?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 14th, 2014, 9:29 am

I think that all depends on who the developer is and who the councilmember is.

In this case you have a developer that is clearly sensitive to the major complaints of the neighbors, as they have made substantial revisions to the project to address (actual) concerns. I think that helps his case with the Planning Commission and elected officials. For this specific development, you have a developer who both lives in the neighborhood, and presumably has his eyes set on future developments after this one, so he's not going to steamroll the neighborhood, as ridiculous and rude as many of the comments/complaints/accusations have been.

In terms of how the councilmember would vote, Lisa Bender is supportive of development here and has stated as much (in front of the whiner/anti-development crowd, no less). I don't think this project would be controversial at City Hall in the slightest.

The aforementioned anti-development crowd has been so ridiculous and rude at neighborhood meetings that we haven't had a chance to really talk about the whole "district parking" concept yet. As a neighborhood (and probably including Whittier) we should actually have a conversation about whether we want this development to include an extra 100 parking spaces beyond what is required for the retail/residential component. That's really what this entire conversation should be about, but we haven't addressed it at all.

But to answer your question directly: no, the neighborhood (group or individuals) have no legally established right to stop this project. They can file an appeal after it is approved, but the City Council can just deny the appeal. It really comes down to who the ward councilmember is.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2014, 9:39 am

And I'd say the ward CM won with a mandate, in a good way.

johneapolis
Block E

Postby johneapolis » March 14th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Second, someone said a gym owner was there against this, was the gym The Movement Minneapolis?
I'm pretty sure that's the name of the gym he gave. Gym owner said he had safety concerns regarding a female trainer he employs who would have to park in a rear alley. I believe the response he got was that this is really an issue for him to take up with his landlord.
Last edited by johneapolis on March 14th, 2014, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johneapolis
Block E

Postby johneapolis » March 14th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Does anyone know who the youngish guy at the table wearing the blue sweatshirt is? He spoke very eloquently towards the end of the meeting about loving the neighborhood because he can walk to local businesses, and how density makes that possible. Made a really good spokesman for the pro-development side.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 15th, 2014, 8:53 am

Not sure who he is, but I do remember him saying that he lives in Whittier, I think on Garfield. He lives much closer to the area than some of the anti-development people that were several blocks away.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 18th, 2014, 10:48 am

What really makes me mad about the people opposing this is that I as just in Chicago this weekend and stayed with a friend who owns a million dollar home in the Southport neighborhood. The houses on either side of his are literally 1.5 feet from his windows... believe it or not, he still get's light. Now this building would be, what, 13ish feet from the closes window? I would imagine that there will still be PLENTY of light coming in. Granted, they lose their view of downtown... but I don't see why they feel entitled to that. Did they contract for it? Pretty sure they didn't.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 23rd, 2014, 11:40 am

I'm banned from the opposition group so normally I just read and shake my head. But this post is especially egregious, and I feel like someone needs to call out Peter Kim on being absolutely braindead. In a post by MRRDC saying that they are not hostile to renters, he posts that renters should pay more taxes for more representation. His english isn't that good so he's not a native born American, but c'mon, he has to know some basic things about this country's laws and history.
https://www.facebook.com/MplsRRDC/posts ... omments=12

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 23rd, 2014, 8:40 pm