Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
uptowncarag

Re: Franklin & Lyndale Redevelopment

Postby uptowncarag » January 31st, 2014, 8:02 am

This development is not tacky. It saves the area. The area for the most part is a dump. What is tacky is the large surface parking lot for the Wedge across the street.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 31st, 2014, 8:17 am

Even Bros these days care more about being green and eating well and all sorts of things they didn't 10 years ago. And they might even have disposable income and care about living in an urban area. Or will maybe assimilate into the urban trend, which is what we're all hoping for right? We can't just pick and choose the next 100k people... I want to see Bros and Minorities and Old Hippie Ladies and everyone shopping at the wedge together :)

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 31st, 2014, 10:17 am

That looks good! I'm trying to figure out how the plan is for a new 150 seat Garage Theater AND 5 retail bays... It just doesn't look big enough for that.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 31st, 2014, 10:26 am

That looks good! I'm trying to figure out how the plan is for a new 150 seat Garage Theater AND 5 retail bays... It just doesn't look big enough for that.
The theater is underground

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 31st, 2014, 11:13 am

Even Bros these days care more about being green and eating well and all sorts of things they didn't 10 years ago. And they might even have disposable income and care about living in an urban area. Or will maybe assimilate into the urban trend, which is what we're all hoping for right? We can't just pick and choose the next 100k people... I want to see Bros and Minorities and Old Hippie Ladies and everyone shopping at the wedge together :)
I've said this before but it bears repeating. Some bros lift weights and drink MGD, some bros smoke weed and play Madden, tons of diversity in the bro community.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 31st, 2014, 11:30 am

This development is not tacky. It saves the area. The area for the most part is a dump. What is tacky is the large surface parking lot for the Wedge across the street.
This does not "save the area." A lot more has to go in this corner for it to be saved. The sidewalks and tree-lined boulevards need to come back, for one.

This corner is a hotbed for drug activity at the moment and the eating and drinking establishments there currently allow it to happen.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 31st, 2014, 11:39 am

This does not "save the area." A lot more has to go in this corner for it to be saved. The sidewalks and tree-lined boulevards need to come back, for one.

This corner is a hotbed for drug activity at the moment and the eating and drinking establishments there currently allow it to happen.
I was talking about saving if from the Wedge and the people who shop there.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 31st, 2014, 11:40 am

Wait... a "hotbed for drug activity"??? Am I just oblivious? This is my neighborhood and I walk the streets around here often... I haven't really experienced anything that seems all too fishy. Of course there are the drunks stumbling out of Mort's and occasionally Rudolph's too... but that's all I've ever noticed.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » January 31st, 2014, 11:44 am

I'm missing the drug activity too. I walk this intersection everyday and have not seen anything. Granted I may be missing things, but nothing has stood out in my mind. By drugs, do you mean pot or something more insidious? If it's the former, I would say EVERY area of Dinkytown would be a hotbed of drug activity then. haha

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » January 31st, 2014, 11:45 am

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » January 31st, 2014, 12:13 pm

Looks like it will have a rooftop deck! Imagine the views!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 31st, 2014, 12:39 pm

After looking more closely at the plans for this, my excitement level has increased. The apartments won't be "luxury" but market rate, with the only notable amenity being a small fitness room. There will also be 3 bedroom units (hooray!) so a family could theoretically move into this building. Couple that with new digs for two local establishments and the fact that this will have the same number of retail spaces that currently exist along with a public rooftop park and performance space and this project is pretty much a dream. Is it gorgeous? No, but I don't think it has to be. It's going to be a huge boon to this whole neighborhood, which I live in.

Also I wouldn't say that this area has a drug problem, so much as I would say that Red Dragon has a drug problem.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 31st, 2014, 12:52 pm

Also I wouldn't say that this area has a drug problem, so much as I would say that Red Dragon has a drug problem.
Red Dragon is the biggest culprit but neighbors report the problems are increasing and moving into other establishments.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 31st, 2014, 1:21 pm

The greatest part of this proposal is they are incorporating existing neighborhood retail and cultural institutions into the project. No suburban strip mall chains! There is a strong effort to make this pedestrian friendly and contribute to the community. The scale ( I know I'm a bugger about this) could be a little refined to make it look slightly more subdued at the intersection. The sides of the project going west and south step down nicely. The developers seem open to some community input. Fantastic.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 31st, 2014, 1:50 pm

Page 6 of the pdf has indicators of the elevation above sea level of the two corners of the block as well as (presumably) the height of each building. The proposed structure will tower 20 feet above the buildings on Aldrich.

I'm not thrilled about the design either but the marquee should be cool, if it's actually built.

I'd say the only one in the Wedge who has a drug problem is Trilby Busch.

It would be cool if the city made them build a mid-block signal as part of this project. I wonder if Lisa Bender is into that idea? Robert Lillegren claimed to be.
"Who rescued whom!"

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 31st, 2014, 2:27 pm

I'd say the only one in the Wedge who has a drug problem is Trilby Busch.
That is absolutely uncalled for.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 31st, 2014, 3:02 pm

When you start a facebook group solely to make personal attacks on a developer you lose any protection you might have had against ad hominem attacks.
"Who rescued whom!"

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 31st, 2014, 3:13 pm

I tried looking, but didnt see where it said Rudolphs would move in.

So, lots of parking for the businesses in this area, yet you can barely see it from the road. I like it. Seems to be a good design. Hope they incoporate some sort of signage into the top to signify what neighborhood you are entering. I wonder if the Rudolph's site will get redeveloped shortly after?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 31st, 2014, 3:17 pm

When you start a facebook group solely to make personal attacks on a developer you lose any protection you might have had against ad hominem attacks.
No. Trilby is my neighbor. She lives half a block away from me. I very much disagree with her on the Colfax development but I respect her as a human being, as we all should respect each other.

She's passionate about things she believes in. That's praiseworthy.

Besides, your comment trivializes a situation that has put a number of my neighbors I know very well in a place where they don't feel safe around their homes. That's not a joking matter.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 31st, 2014, 3:20 pm

Maybe Trilby should have thought about that before she posted private pictures of Michael Lander for her clique to make fun of. Or is that what you find 'praiseworthy' about her.

Give me a break about respect. That's so much claptrap that liberals use to guilt people into shutting up. The real world is a little more complex than 'this is respectful' and 'this is disrespectful'.
"Who rescued whom!"