Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Theater Garage Marquee Apartments - (Franklin & Lyndale)

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2014, 7:23 pm

They have not dealt with me yet! I have enough pros for this project that they will have to answer to and I have plenty of answers back for their lame excuses. I'll be ready for a strong debate!! They will not get a pass card on this project. They will have to have their A game to deal with me! NIMBY's beware!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 9th, 2014, 11:01 pm

They have not dealt with me yet! I have enough pros for this project that they will have to answer to and I have plenty of answers back for their lame excuses. I'll be ready for a strong debate!! They will not get a pass card on this project. They will have to have their A game to deal with me! NIMBY's beware!
A small piece of advice:

Your goal isn't to beat them in a debate. Your goal is to convince public officials to support the project.

Keep on the goal, not on making yourself the center.

And yes, I'm guilty of the latter at times, even though it's not helpful.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 10th, 2014, 12:59 am

I don't think the NIMBY's that are on the extreme will ever be convinced, the best we can hope for (and I'd say it's better than changing their minds) is to make them a laughing stock. When the city approves a project over their objections, and none of their doomsday scenarios come true, their claims will have no merit, and the movement no legitimacy.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 10th, 2014, 7:15 am

Well and you have to believe too that those on the review board are aware of any extremists (pro or con) and take it all with a grain of salt. I mean if somebody opposes a project because it spoils their view of something they inherited when they moved there three years ago (for ex.), I sincerely hope that doesn't pique the concerns of a tenured councilman/woman whose job is to foster growth, prosperity and commerce and represent the interests of ALL people in the city.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Mine is to support this building and to minimize and take away their anti-development issues. This building sits on a transit crossroad with it being within walking distance of the 6 and 17 and the corner of the 4 and 2. This is what the former mayor was preaching for, transit oriented development. This building has two separate entrances for parking, so there are ways around the wait on Lyndale if you just turn onto Franklin which as much less traffic than Lyndale. Same as using 22nd when you are leaving the SA at 22th and Lyndale. Walking by the other day, it appears to me that the houses and apartment roofs on Aldrich, will be within a half story of the 5th floor roof of that back part of the development. The six floor will be on the Lyndale side of the development and set back on most of it except for the corner area. This building will not tower over anything. The city will finally have to do some updates to the lights at the Franklin/Lyndale corner to get better traffic flow. I've thought things out. I keep working to get a better hand on what information needs to be brought up on the pro side of this building. I'm willing to strategize with those who want to do the same. I'm sure that some of you already have your own Ideas. The more of us that are there on the pro side the harder it is for the city to say no when we put up clear goals that this development covers. One thing when you live in a city is your view is always open to change.

I did not even get to the pros of a walkable street, the stores that front the street, the new better theater for the Garage Theater, a new restaurant on the corner. If it is Rudolph's then we will have a restaurant to replace them in their current location. Or another opportunity to redevelop that location.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on February 10th, 2014, 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 10th, 2014, 1:42 pm

So it looks like parking access on Lyndale is on the "lower level" and access to Franklin is on the second level (above the street level kitchen for the restaurant. All parking levels appear to connect via bidirectional ramps. Coupled with RIRO along Lyndale (hopefully for the Wedge lot as well) this would likely make traffic better compared to the existing mess of curb cuts.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 10th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Also, is this the first development to incorporate space for a NiceRide hub?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » February 12th, 2014, 8:47 am

If anyone is interested. LHENA Zoning and Planning Committee meeting on the proposal tonight:
To All Residents and Members of the General Public,

We are writing to notify you of an upcoming meeting that you might find interesting. The Lowry Hill East Zoning and Planning Committee is meeting tomorrow evening to hear and comment on a proposal to redevelop the corner of Lyndale and Franklin avenues by building a mixed-use six story building on the southwest corner of the intersection. The proposed development includes many residential units, as well as several retail bays and an internal public parking structure. If you are interested in reviewing the current site plan, you can find it here: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 120072.pdf

Our committee meetings are open to the public, and everyone is encouraged to attend and participate. If you are interested in architecture, development, or this project specifically, please join us tomorrow (Feb. 12th) at:

6:30 p.m.
Jefferson Elementary School - 2nd Floor - Media Center

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 10:24 am

Barring any unforeseen circumstance I'll plan to be there ready to enlighten those to the new urbanism and the changes that are now happening in MPLS. One thing in life for sure is change. It will happen whether we like it or not!

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » February 12th, 2014, 10:58 am

I'll be there, too. With popcorn.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 12th, 2014, 11:19 am

We'll be in the gallery eating spdcheetah's popcorn and wearing Wedgeguy 4 Prez t-shirts.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 12th, 2014, 11:24 am

Planning on going as long as I can get there in time after work. For those that have been before, do they close the doors on these things right away, or can you slip in a little late without a problem?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 12th, 2014, 11:24 am

I'm going to be there, cross my fingers with a homeowner who's house backs up to this and isn't parks and rec crazy against it.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 12th, 2014, 12:12 pm

The meetings are very open and you can easily slip in late.

Wedgeguy, I urge you to tone down your attitude. Yes, there's going to be a *lot* of attitude from those opposed to the project (I bore the brunt of it at Z&P during the last Colfax fight) but adding to the vitriol isn't going to help, it's going to hurt. Project supporters need to show the Z&P board that they are adults. As it is right now, I'm sensing a fight between children. Adults listen, process and respond courteously with understanding. Children react.

I may show up tonight. I am interesting in hearing details about the project but I don't know if the baby will cooperate. :)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 12:23 pm

My attitude is in check, I have facts that will play themselves out without any real need to get hyper.

I'll try and keep my Mayberry vs MPLS to a minimum. But I will strongly defend my facts as an adult.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on February 12th, 2014, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 12th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I think it's really helpful to the pro-development cause when its supporters can be calm and rational, while the anti-development cause foams at the mouth. It makes us look reasonable and the other side look unreasonable. So yes, bring your facts and rationality, let the other side spout the vitriol.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 12th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Santa is getting fired up for the meeting. I'll be talking to the planning people to dispel anything I feel is misrepresented. As I've said, there are basic facts and principles that are now part of helping this city to increase it's population, number of businesses, and the tax base. This development and others are in line with what the city's planning mission statement says. With the cost of land inside the city, you can no longer go with the old business model of the 40's and 50's. It is hard to make an investment pay out without getting density anymore. With ADA and other costly regulation that developers did not have to deal with when this part of the city was developed. You can't compare apples to oranges as to what once worked as far as development to what has to happen these days.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 12th, 2014, 5:25 pm

The meetings are very open and you can easily slip in late.

Wedgeguy, I urge you to tone down your attitude. Yes, there's going to be a *lot* of attitude from those opposed to the project (I bore the brunt of it at Z&P during the last Colfax fight) but adding to the vitriol isn't going to help, it's going to hurt. Project supporters need to show the Z&P board that they are adults. As it is right now, I'm sensing a fight between children. Adults listen, process and respond courteously with understanding. Children react.

I may show up tonight. I am interesting in hearing details about the project but I don't know if the baby will cooperate. :)
Now it's all starting to come together.... All that adult vs. children rhetoric made me second guess which one i am during passionate debates. That, and I also have small children and can completely relate to your premise on how to conduct yourself in adult discussions!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 12th, 2014, 5:29 pm

It's pretty great all you guys are forming this alliance against.....let's just call them the Mayberries! I wonder if the pro-urbanism side would be nearly as big or coordinated without this forum. I'd love to be there, but in lieu of that I can't wait to hear the outcome.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 12th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Just to be clear, I wasn't disparaging anyone with the adult vs. children thing. That metaphor just popped into mind because I'm living it with an 11-month-old. :)

But there's truth to it. Yes, bring facts and opinions, but also listen and try to understand what the other side is saying. I think it's perfectly legit, for example, for those in opposition or at least wary of the project to ask questions about setbacks, privacy and the structural integrity of their homes during construction. Even if you think the concerns are overblown, it does no good whatsoever to belittle those voicing an opinion, whatever it may be. That, BTW, goes for the other side too. Proponents certainly deserve respect and the ability to voice opinions (which I was not given at the Z&P Colfax meeting).