Linden Crossing - (4264 Upton Ave S)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Elliot Altbaum
City Center

Re: Linden Crossing - (4264 Upton Ave S)

Postby Elliot Altbaum » August 7th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Here is an letter to the editor I wrote for the SW journal. As a resident of the neighborhood, I am getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of foresight of some residents. Though there were many conversations that happened as a part of the small area plan, there is a clear need for more long term visioning. As the neighborhood that elected Hodges by the highest margin in the city with the largest voter turnout, we are terrible at actually following through on her vision.
http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... eds-us-all

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2014, 3:33 pm

The meeting is up on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lGiwvAPKk
The Appeal starts a few minutes in.

Currently listening to the laywer for LHRRDC or whatever the hell it is. She refers to the area as "Downtown Linden Hills." These people really do think they live in their own little world there.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2014, 3:37 pm

I really enjoyed twincitizens comment in the strib comment section

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 7th, 2014, 10:18 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:She refers to the area as "Downtown Linden Hills." These people really do think they live in their own little world there.
To be fair, "Downtown Linden Hills" has been a thing for a long time.

Elliot Altbaum
City Center

Postby Elliot Altbaum » August 7th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Echoing David, "Downtown Linden Hills" has been a concept for a very long time. While urbanists here should be frustrated at the lack of 20 year vision by many residents, I think they are missing an important part of the story.

Residents love this node because it is successful good small scale urbanism. This area is a great example of why smaller neighborhood commercial nodes that aren't uptown and downtown make the whole city feel livable. Building out the remnants of the streetcar nodes and seeding new ones in areas without them will be an important step in building a more fine scale continuous urban fabric.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2014, 10:55 pm

Regardeless of how old that phrase is, it still (to me) shows that a lot of the people don't view themselves as citizens of Minneapolis, but citizens of Linden Hills, which can lead to rather selfish outcomes. Which is really just another form of the standard anti-change NIMBY vitriol.

I also like that even though the developer (and I feel hard pressed to call him that, he's a resident himself) pointed out that shrinking the project forced it to become luxury units, there's still lots of complaints about keeping the neighborhood desirable and affordable. It's like, c'mon, there's a fairly fixed number of SFHs in Linden Hills, if you limit the housing but keep it desirable, that's not going to keep it affordable.

A lot of the NIMBY cost concerns seem to think that the new expensive supply is creating the high end demand, rather than the supply meeting the existing demand. Maybe that same thought carries over into people wanting specialized retail in places that clearly can't support it, a very much build it and they will come mentality. Maybe Field of Dreams is the worst thing to happen to Urbanism since Urban Renewal.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 7th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I grew up in Linden Hills. I still use the term Downtown Linden Hills. I am supportive of density and development. I have always viewed myself as a citizen of the City of Minneapolis, not just Linden Hills.

Peter, I think you're stretching it. It's just a term people use to differentiate the outlying residential areas from the business district.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2014, 11:14 pm

I am 100% willing to accept that I'm wrong on that point. I've never even been to Linden Hills, what the hell do I know.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 7th, 2014, 11:16 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:I am 100% willing to accept that I'm wrong on that point. I've never even been to Linden Hills, what the hell do I know.
I'm not even touching that.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 8th, 2014, 6:20 am

Linden Hills Happy Hour?(!)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 8th, 2014, 7:23 am

You might find two seats at the bar at Tilia if you're willing to wait a bit.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 8th, 2014, 8:20 am

Elliot Altbaum wrote:Echoing David, "Downtown Linden Hills" has been a concept for a very long time. While urbanists here should be frustrated at the lack of 20 year vision by many residents, I think they are missing an important part of the story.

Residents love this node because it is successful good small scale urbanism. This area is a great example of why smaller neighborhood commercial nodes that aren't uptown and downtown make the whole city feel livable. Building out the remnants of the streetcar nodes and seeding new ones in areas without them will be an important step in building a more fine scale continuous urban fabric.
One could argue that this site is at the edge of "downtown Linden Hills" though. The true district is south of Famous Dave's till 44th Street, IMO. Also, I don't feel that this project disrupts this urban fabric that much, at least not much more than the suburbanesque townhomes JUST north of this site do.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 8th, 2014, 8:22 am

Nick wrote:Linden Hills Happy Hour?(!)
Famous Dave's was likely IT as far as happy hour options in Linden Hills were concerned.....whatever happened to them anyways? ;)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2014, 8:23 am

Oh it's not that bad. I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes at Tilia late on weeknights.

I spent a significant amount of time in Linden Hills growing up, and I'm excited to see it change and grow. This will be a huge improvement.

Edit: The stoplight at 43rd/Upton seems to be the epicenter of "Downtown Linden Hills" even if there hasn't been much to the north. There are obviously businesses south and east, and a few west on 43rd (Zumbro Cafe, hardware store/old coop, Dunn Bros).

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 8th, 2014, 9:35 am

Will there by chance be a new restaurant in this new building? Perhaps a famous dave's? Linden Hills has needed a famous daves ever since the famous dave's closed to make way for this new development.

Elliot Altbaum
City Center

Postby Elliot Altbaum » August 8th, 2014, 11:41 am

I attended the meeting and Mark was fairly certain there would not be restaurant space. The old hardware store that closed is getting turned into a restaurant as well as another restaurant on 44th and Beard.
He mentioned an orthodontist in one location and the possibility of Edward Jones relocating. It's going to be office/retail. This is better for the mix of stores than more restaurants.

Growing up in the neighborhood, I see so much potential for growth. The commercial nodes of 43rd and Upton, 44th and beard, 44th and France, 50th and France, and 50th and Xerexes can all grow considerably, giving the area a decent density.
Clearly some residents need convincing first...

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 8th, 2014, 10:07 pm

If they don't want it there are tons of neighborhoods where it can happen. Diamond Lake for sure, and finally we might have a reason to go to someplace like Shingle Creek, cuz when was the last time you went to Morris Park?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 13th, 2015, 7:09 pm

So:

https://twitter.com/MichelleBruch/statu ... 3954188288

Does this mean the plan as approved is still slated for construction, or a whole new design/process?

Anondson
Capella Tower

Linden Crossing - (4264 Upton Ave S)

Postby Anondson » February 13th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Uffda. If they're putting back the pocket park, sounds like the whole thing is called off.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » February 14th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Linea Palmisano"

"I just received the below message about the project at 43rd/Upton. I spoke with the developer this afternoon and I wanted to share the message with neighbors:
Dear Linea and Members of LHiNC:
The Linden Crossing project is changing hands. Our investor did not purchase the Famous Dave’s parcel, and another developer has now acquired the site. We wish the new team success in the clean up and transformation of this great corner.
Please know that we will coordinate with the City and site owner to restore the pocket park in a timely manner.
Sincerely,
Mark Dwyer
and the Linden Crossing development team"
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”