Spirit on Lake - (1238 East Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
IDS Center

Spirit on Lake - (1238 East Lake Street)

Postby Nathan » July 19th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Thought I'd make a thread for this one.
Rendering on page 14

has great street presence and the rainbow is a nice LGBT touch! ha!

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 090178.pdf

John
Capella Tower

Re: Spirit on Lake

Postby John » July 20th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I like it , and it will enhance this neighborhood. I hope it moves forward. The only qualm I have is I wish that the Twin Cities GLTBQ community had a neighborhood where our culture had a stronger and more visible presence (e.g. like Capitol Hill in Seattle). I really feel this project would work better in Uptown or Loring Park. We have a strong presence in those areas and it would be nice to see that more visible like in other big cities. This project seems a little "out of the loop" at this location, not to mention I might have some safety concerns for residents walking around at night. Nevertheless , I wish it well and it looks very nice .

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 21st, 2012, 8:48 am

John wrote:I like it , and it will enhance this neighborhood. I hope it moves forward. The only qualm I have is I wish that the Twin Cities GLTBQ community had a neighborhood where our culture had a stronger and more visible presence (e.g. like Capitol Hill in Seattle). I really feel this project would work better in Uptown or Loring Park. We have a strong presence in those areas and it would be nice to see that more visible like in other big cities. This project seems a little "out of the loop" at this location, not to mention I might have some safety concerns for residents walking around at night. Nevertheless , I wish it well and it looks very nice .
Why this is going on LAke is because this is where the Spirit of the Lakes church that is sponsoring this building. They church has been there for close to 15-20 years now.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » July 21st, 2012, 9:30 am

I think the Twin Cities is blessed in not having a gayborhood. In my opinion it's harder to incorporate into a community when everybody is all isolated. Similar to how immigrants create cultural villages. It might be nice for their community (convenient), but it makes visiting it like a field trip. Minneapolis' gay community is so intertwined with the city's culture that it is almost one in the same. Very few major cities have the gay population that we do so spread out, even in the suburbs. I think that is great and shows more people how not different the LGBT people are. Also probably a major factor for us, most likely, to be the first state to vote down a marriage amendment. We're speckled throughout the community, people know us, and that is good.

Back to the point. Being on lake street with a rainbow moniker will be amazing for Lake St. and SE Minneapolis. Imagine the unexposed people who see elderly, their parents and grandparents generation, and realizing how real GLBT people are. It's their chance to learn and become familiar with something they probably just don't understand. I also feel that SE Lake has that possibility. North Mpls, I'd be a little more concerned for their well being. Tougher learning curve :/

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » July 21st, 2012, 10:42 am

Don't get your hopes up guys It's just a rendering. remember the colored panels on Mozaic and the rainbow glass on that one project in dinkytown that turned out to not be rainbow?

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » July 21st, 2012, 11:39 am

What else would we talk about if it weren't for renderings and their features? I'm sure it will have a rainbow or two in a window even if it's not a permanent feature.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 21st, 2012, 6:52 pm

mplser wrote:Don't get your hopes up guys It's just a rendering. remember the colored panels on Mozaic and the rainbow glass on that one project in dinkytown that turned out to not be rainbow?
I don't see any rainbow in the renderings and I LOVE the rendering, so I'm not sure what this rainbow talk is even about -- I just love the brick and the curvature of the corner!

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » July 23rd, 2012, 10:55 am

It's on the far left or top of the rendering, depending on how you are looking at it. The western side on lake.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 23rd, 2012, 10:57 am

fotoapparatic wrote:It's on the far left or top of the rendering, depending on how you are looking at it. The western side on lake.
Oh.....I finally see it now. Wow, that's a small addition to get all bent out of shape over!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Totally forgot about this until I saw it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » November 29th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Status on November 18th.
SpiritonLake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 30th, 2012, 9:34 am

This thing has been gestating forever. Good to see it finally moving forward.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » January 5th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Status on January 5th.
SpiritonLake.jpg

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Spirit on Lake - (1238 East Lake Street)

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » March 2nd, 2013, 4:31 pm

Status today:
SpiritonLake.jpg

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 8th, 2013, 7:10 pm

IMG_3617 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_3616 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » June 10th, 2013, 8:25 pm

I don't see the rainbow on the west side of the building though. I'm glad Mpls doesn't have a "gayborhood" like Chicago does. I happened to seek out a great coffee shop next to Halsted where it happened to be Boystown and wow, was that annoying. Like Dinkytown bro-bar annoying. If it were all a bunch of chill and hipster bars with good music like the coffee shop I went to and that happened to cater to non-straights then I would have had probably no problem stopping in for a beer. Instead I ended up going to a little (straight) dive that had none of the drama or bad music over at the cookie-cutter gay bars that went on for blocks. If having a gayborhood means lots of Lady Gaga, et al blasting all over the place and lots of over-the-top, trying-too-hard stereotypes attempting to out-gay each other, which seems to be the case, then yes I'm glad we're free of that. At least outside of the gay bars.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I'm surprised Minneapolis doesn't have a "gayborhood", but kind of put Uptown neighborhoods and Loring Park in that category.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 11th, 2013, 12:43 pm

yeah, one could argue that Loring is our "gayborhood" but We do have lots of gay people spread out living all over the city, which is how it should be. No segregation here!

also, not only is the rainbow gone, but it looks like it took ALL the detail on the Lake St. side of the building with it! WTF! where's the brick and the cornices???

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » June 11th, 2013, 1:50 pm

The rainbow could still be done with LED lights, I think one of the more recent buildings on Washington in Stadium Village has that.

I agree that I'd rather not have a gayborhood. Integration is key to keep segregation and discrimination down. If everyone is neighbors, life is all normal. But if you have to cross into a district it feels like you enter a different world...

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”