The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2014, 3:25 pm

They now have flashy parking ramp signs that look like something out of the '30's. I kind of like the effect.
Dependence on parking signs to make your project interesting is bad practice-

e.g.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 24th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Bad practice? I think that's a personal opinion, I don't like excelsior and grand's but the other I think is rather nice. I think it's great when a project pays attention to details and makes mundane things fun and interesting.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 24th, 2014, 5:49 pm

BKV has the same problem with their Lake and Knox and Penfield projects.
To compare this to Penfield is...not right. I rather like this building as do others. Penfield, AFAIK, has been universally condemned here. :).
There are good qualities about all these projects. The issue is to carry that through the entire project and not skimp by using cheap materials in very visible locations and only using it in a manner that is discreet and judicious. Wedgeguy's comments about the base (at the corners) is case in point.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 28th, 2014, 9:34 am

the new over hang has mirrored and metallic panels on it, which should reflect any lighting feature in a really cool way!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 7th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Saw that yesterday and I wonder if the plastic panels will be backlit with lights that changer colors? The Yougart Lab is open. They still have not done anything to finish the fronts of the center retail yet. Not sure if they are waiting for warmer days or what the delay is.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 14th, 2014, 10:54 am

They have some new interior shots on their website and these apartments look amazing! Looks almost boutique, like each one is different. Very unlike everything else that's going up where everything is cookie cutter throughout the building. Check them out. http://www.thewalkway.com/photo-gallery/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 14th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Not sure what they are adding to the front of the Walkway. It looks like some wood slats that have an inch gap between them?

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » March 14th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Not sure what they are adding to the front of the Walkway. It looks like some wood slats that have an inch gap between them?
Looked like wood slats when they were installing this a few days back.

Construction worker also told me that they will be painting the siding by the storefronts soon. The worst part of this building is Coup D'Etat's horrendous signage. Really clashes with the architecture.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 15th, 2014, 4:13 pm

^^^This project is turning out to be a rather strange yet sort of fun mix of confusing things going on in the design. It really can't make up its mind what it wants to be. Honestly, sometimes I really like it and sometimes I really hate it. ;)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 15th, 2014, 4:23 pm

^^^This project is turning out to be a rather strange yet sort of fun mix of confusing things going on in the design. It really can't make up its mind what it wants to be. Honestly, sometimes I really like it and sometimes I really hate it. ;)
Doesn't that basically describe just about everything, people included in uptown?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 15th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Doesn't that basically describe just about everything, people included in uptown?
Yes, kind of like people watching on a summer evening at the intersection of Hennepin and Lake. :D

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » March 15th, 2014, 10:19 pm

I really loved this building when it was fully framed and you could see the shape of it, but I think I am liking it less now that the finishing materials are being added. It looks like it never decided what to be when it grew up. Maybe when they renovate it in 50 years it will be reclad and be nicer then. It could have been a great building, it was almost there. The form is good.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 16th, 2014, 9:44 am

I really loved this building when it was fully framed and you could see the shape of it, but I think I am liking it less now that the finishing materials are being added. It looks like it never decided what to be when it grew up. Maybe when they renovate it in 50 years it will be reclad and be nicer then. It could have been a great building, it was almost there. The form is good.
Once again basically describing the people of uptown lol

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2014, 6:16 pm

This is all kinds of distinctive.

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 30th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Generally, I think this is a very handsome project, but I just don't get the newly added mirrored cornice.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 30th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Generally, I think this is a very handsome project, but I just don't get the newly added mirrored cornice.
If they add some sort of cool lighting display there, as pictured, that mirrored area will light up like crazy at night... creating a really cool 24 hour city kind of look... I'm excited for that kind of playful night time attitude in uptown!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 30th, 2014, 5:01 pm

If they add some sort of cool lighting display there, as pictured, that mirrored area will light up like crazy at night... creating a really cool 24 hour city kind of look... I'm excited for that kind of playful night time attitude in uptown!
I think when its all lit up and running it will add a lot of pizazz. Whatever your opinion of the architecture it can't be called boring.

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » March 30th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Some time ago I saw a plan that had colorful sculptures on the "walkway" that will be reflected on the mirrored piece. I'm assuming they would be put in this spring.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » April 4th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Drove by this today. I really like the added mirror piece. It is a good fit in Uptown. Similar to the new library, and the Chino Latino exterior.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 7th, 2014, 9:15 am

Walked under the mirror, which reflected the bright blue sky when looking straight up from underneath. Couldn't tell I was next to a building larger than one story.