The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: City Walk Uptown - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby Wedgeguy » December 3rd, 2012, 3:05 pm

Now driving retaining piles on the south/Lake Street side of the property. This whole process is going very slow. I would have thought by this point that would have had all the pile driving done. They still have the whole Giard side let to do.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 15th, 2012, 5:32 pm

The signs on site are know calling this 'the walkway'

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 15th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Working on those parking levels. now. Getting the dirt dug out.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 15th, 2012, 8:06 pm

The signs on site are know calling this 'the walkway'
Wasn't that the original name for the proposal? Anyways , I like it better than "City Walk".

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 15th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Agreed. Anything with "city" in the name is kind of redundant. Unless it's referring to an actual place like "Mill City" or something

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » December 18th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans in the works for the lot across the street from this on Lake? A prime site in front of the parking ramp. I say yes to more retail on the ground level.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 18th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans in the works for the lot across the street from this on Lake? A prime site in front of the parking ramp. I say yes to more retail on the ground level.
Can't agree more! It's an eyesore and a gaping hole in what is otherwise a dynamic area. It's owned by the Calhoun Square property owners. It's surprising how long this lot has been vacant. I think at one time they were proposing condos above street level retail, but then the economy tanked. But I still think the landowners are slow pokes in getting this parcel developed considering its location in the center of this booming and rapidly expanding neighborhood. You would think the timing is perfect for them to develop it!

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » December 19th, 2012, 12:29 am

Uptown will have grown into whatever it is that it's becoming when that lot, the Arby's lot, the McDonald's lot, and the Cheapo lot are developed.

If Mozaic PhaZe 2oo can happen soon after the Walkway, that should really spark the remaining lots to get put to better use

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 19th, 2012, 9:32 am

Uptown will have grown into whatever it is that it's becoming when that lot, the Arby's lot, the McDonald's lot, and the Cheapo lot are developed.

If Mozaic PhaZe 2oo can happen soon after the Walkway, that should really spark the remaining lots to get put to better use
Or possibly not, if the market becomes saturated with new space. I wonder if that's what's keeping some of those lots (esp. the Calhoun Square lots) vacant for the time being -- there is just so much construction going on and even though demand has remained steady it's definitely a risk to not wait and see how the market reacts to the surge in supply. If I owned that land and I was "behind" the market in terms of timing new construction, I'd probably wait too!

Besides, what if you owned that land and the zoning allowed for a mix of uses, including office? Then if you waited a few more years and the office market became tight and in high demand again (or in Uptown you may not have to wait beyond Mozaic Ph II) that lot could be developed as either mixed-use or office, which would yield higher rents than rental housing ever could. I bet that's definitely part of the trepidation on behalf of the Calhoun Square owners...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 19th, 2012, 9:36 am

I walked past last night, and that hole was DEEP! I'm most excited for this project in uptown. But can't wait for those other lots to develop, as well as rainbow and planned Parent Hood blocks.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 19th, 2012, 9:37 am

I kind of wish that if Calhoun Square plans on sitting on that land a lot longer that they would put a little temporary park or at least maintained lawn there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

I'd have to say that the owners of that half block will wait and see what happens with the Office market in Uptown. Retail on the street level is a for sure. What they decide to do above that is very much up for debate. I agree that Office space will bring a better return than apartments With the NIBY height limits I find it hard to see how they could do a mix of Office and residential in that tight of a spece with out freaking the NIMBY's out with a tall building.

Walked by this afternoon to see that they are digging quite a deep hole they have aways to go before foundation starts getting poured, but they are making progress.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm

City Walk will add a lot of energy across the street from the vacant parcel , and I think it will build momentum for its development. Yet I still think the Calhoun Square owners have dragged their feet a bit in getting this land redeveloped. It's not hard to imagine many different configurations for developing this property that would be successful. And I think it would only help draw more people into Calhoun Square next door.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 20th, 2012, 8:58 am

Kind of an expensive "attraction" though...it's got to be more than just a magnet.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 9:44 am

Kind of an expensive "attraction" though...it's got to be more than just a magnet.
It will be a catalyst for greater retail to the east of Hennepin. I think the other day I saw 4 empty space now in Calhoun Square. They are not large spaces, More like small boutique spaces. Unlike 10 years ago their is real interest in the Uptown area for retail possiblities. Walkway will allow for larger square footage stores to find a spot to locate in the area. You now have Flux and Buzza with people already living in them and ELan, Track 29, Lyndale 2900 and the Walkway adding close to a thousand units total when all phases are complete, there is alot of potential for future retail and restraunts in this area. With the 100+ units in this builing alone you should have at least 140 people with cash to spend at your doorstep. It will give people a reason to walk east of Hennepin in the future.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 20th, 2012, 9:46 am

It will be a catalyst for greater retail to the east of Hennepin. I think the other day I saw 4 empty space now in Calhoun Square. They are not large spaces, More like small boutique spaces. Unlike 10 years ago their is real interest in the Uptown area for retail possiblities. Walkway will allow for larger square footage stores to find a spot to locate in the area. You now have Flux and Buzza with people already living in them and ELan, Track 29, Lyndale 2900 and the Walkway adding close to a thousand units total when all phases are complete, there is alot of potential for future retail and restraunts in this area. With the 100+ units in this builing alone you should have at least 140 people with cash to spend at your doorstep. It will give people a reason to walk east of Hennepin in the future.
I'm saying building out the vacant lot JUST to attract visitors to the mall doesn't make business sense. It has to actually be a feasible project too (the mall is icing on the cake).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 10:27 am

^^^ With the number of housing units in the building itself, the building will do quite well in filling up. The fact that creates a much more walkable space between the Lagoon Theater and Calhoun Suare will be a driving force why this retail area should do good. Like I tried to get across, there is limited decent square footage spaces availabe right now in Uptown Proper,(Lake and Hennepin), I see more retail and renovations coming to the Lyn-lake area as well as retailer look for cheaper rents and the number of people who will be living within an easy 3 block walk with be in the hundreds. This is not a building it and it will take 3 years to fill. I would predict that over 50 % of the space will be spoken for before the building opens and it (retail) is completely fill before it's one year anniversary. Yes I'm being generous considering the Financial cliff and all. But there is just too much mass of residential that is moving in for retailers to wait for a limited amount of space in the uptown area.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » December 20th, 2012, 10:57 am

Not sure this is the right thread for this. But the vacant Calhoun Square lot would be perfect for an office building. It has enough room for a good office floorplan. Has ample parking in the ramp, which is usually pretty empty during the day.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 20th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I'm saying building out the vacant lot JUST to attract visitors to the mall doesn't make business sense. It has to actually be a feasible project too (the mall is icing on the cake).
No, I think you are misinterpreting what people say. The point is having a good development here will enhance the dynamics of the area with more economic and human activity. It extends the Uptown retail core eastward.That will only help the area be stronger.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Not sure this is the right thread for this. But the vacant Calhoun Square lot would be perfect for an office building. It has enough room for a good office floorplan. Has ample parking in the ramp, which is usually pretty empty during the day.
Could not agree with you more. Especially with all of the buses that travel along that section of the street. IT would increase the daytime foot traffic out on the streets. Maybe see a food truck or two move to the area also.