East 38th Street & 38th St Station Development

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
intercomnut
Rice Park

Re: 38th Street Corridor & Surrounding Neighborhoods

Postby intercomnut » May 20th, 2016, 9:50 am

The Met Council is looking into leasing some of its property adjacent to the 38th St Blue Line station, including what is now a parking lot and a bus transit center. If the deal goes through, Landers Group would build some sort of transit-oriented-development on the site.

The Council is attempting to figure out how they could still fit the bus transit center into the site, since MT's TOD department had previously said this isn't possible.

The Park-and-Ride for bikes that was planned to be constructed this summer has been delayed to explore this. If the deal goes through, Landers would incorporate it into the new development.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... 6_100.aspx
http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... ation.aspx

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2016, 10:08 am

I'm not clear why 38th Street Station needs an off-street bus station anyways. It serves routes:

23 (Future 38?) - Bus goes east-west down 38th Street and could easily have bus bays right on the street.
14E - Just get rid of this branch already. Keep the 14s on Bloomington.
22 - This loops to the rail station, but would otherwise turn from 38th to 28th Ave at the Northbound corner, 600 feet to the west. Not sure what to do with this one, but it seems like it wouldn't be a big deal if it didn't connect with the Blue Line directly. Otherwise, turn it at 40th St, run it up 30th Avenue (currently a cul-de-sac at 38th St Station) and build a bus-only lane for it to turn onto 38th Street westbound right at the station.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 20th, 2016, 10:11 am

This could change the station area feel quite a bit!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2016, 2:02 pm

I'm not clear why 38th Street Station needs an off-street bus station anyways. It serves routes:

23 (Future 38?) - Bus goes east-west down 38th Street and could easily have bus bays right on the street.
I absolutely support this in theory. I think you could do it with bus bays/cutouts, but you could not just have the buses stop in traffic at this location, given the already long waits at the stoplights, complex/dangerous intersection, etc. The cutouts would also have to be a considerable distance away from the tracks. And the eastbound stop would need to have a crosswalk for folks to quickly/safely cross the street to reach the station. I suppose that crosswalk could basically be in the same location as the existing crosswalk that reaches Cardinal's door.

For all of this to happen in an ideal fashion (retaining wide enough sidewalks, possibly adding bike lanes here), I really think you need to tear down Cardinal and acquire some of its surface parking lot on the south side of 38th in order to widen the street, fit the cutout(s), etc.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 20th, 2016, 3:08 pm

I wish they'd move the bike park and ride pilot to 46th St. Station (where it could serve the A Line, too!) instead of just delaying it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

John21
Rice Park

Re: 3828 - Lander project - 3800 28th Avenue S

Postby John21 » May 22nd, 2016, 11:38 am

twincitizen

Re: 38th Street Station Area - Lander Development

Postby twincitizen » May 25th, 2016, 7:23 am

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/05/lan ... line-stop/
http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... 6_100.aspx

Lander looking at a ground lease for the project at the station site. The six houses would go, Cardinal would remain, and a new east-west street connecting buses to 29th Av (prob where the alley connects today) would allow continued transit circulation.

P.S. I re-merged the two threads. It just wasn't going to work with the conversation on the multiple lander projects being split. One general thread for 38th Street / Station Area / Lander Development is fine. The latter is likely all we're going to be talking about anyways. If people want to post about stuff at Nicollet or Chicago, you can post it in the general threads for those corridors if you want to keep it separate from the bulk of this conversation.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station/Lander Development

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 2nd, 2016, 7:29 am

A bit more info on the site. Not sure if these images were in other articles.

http://joe-urban.com/delivering-the-tod ... t-station/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 2nd, 2016, 8:16 am

I'm impressed with how this station area is finally evolving. Perfect example of what a neighborhood station can be.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 2nd, 2016, 8:21 am

Interesting, that's the first I've seen of a building on the south side of 38th. I wonder if they have a plan for that or are just showing the potential of the site.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » June 2nd, 2016, 10:20 pm

What is it going to take to get bike lanes installed all along 38th St. They are called for in the bike master plan. It would be nice to create a better bike connection from the 38th St Station to Fireroast/Riverview Theater/Northbound/Pilgrimage Cafe ect....

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » June 5th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Pilgrimage Cafe, which I highly recommend, is running a kickstarter campaign to raise funds to renovate their space!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/40 ... nav_search

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 6th, 2016, 7:24 am

What is it going to take to get bike lanes installed all along 38th St. They are called for in the bike master plan. It would be nice to create a better bike connection from the 38th St Station to Fireroast/Riverview Theater/Northbound/Pilgrimage Cafe ect....
Haven't you heard? The city just adopted a complete streets directive which prioritizes walking and biking over cars and...ahh, forget it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2016, 8:50 am

They usually wait for a mill and overlay, or possibly a sealcoat, before painting bike lanes.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2016, 9:47 am

^I was going to say the same. It seems very likely that 38th St will get regular painted bike lanes (at a minimum) when the roadway is due for a mill & overlay. Doing anything the lack of boulevards & trees, adding bumpouts, etc. will require a full reconstruction. I doubt that is on the horizon anytime soon.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2016, 10:10 am

Also, I've heard 38th St is generally too narrow for 2 bike lanes + 2 parking lanes. Seems to be 42ish feet curb to curb, too tight for even an uncomfortable 10/5/7 layout. The answer would probably be to lose one side of street parking as has been done on 40th west of 35W, 31st St near Cedar, 42nd St in Standish, etc. This is fine on your average residential block, since most parking gravitates towards the side streets anyways. But it becomes very politically difficult at business nodes or other spots with parking demand on both sides. This is why there are sharrows on 42nd St at 28th Ave, and there will be sharrows at 46th Street and Grand (and likely Bloomington as well).

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 6th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Didn't 38th get a mill and overlay 4 or 5 years ago in this area?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 6th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Not sure, but the sealcoat it received two summers ago is already failing badly. Actually, a number of streets in the area that were done that summer are all aging poorly -- not sure if they were installed under bad conditions?

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 7th, 2016, 11:01 am

Here's a project that is supposed to get underway this summer, http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/2016/WCMS1P-130099
Hopefully it will address bike traffic for this hectic, albeit short stretch of 38th St. between the station and Fireroast/Riverview Theater.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 7th, 2016, 11:28 am

Looks like a decent layout, but 9' boulevards and a 1' buffer on each lane would be better.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]