Page 9 of 12

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: May 24th, 2017, 2:39 pm
by mattaudio
3115 E 42nd St in Ericcson is for sale, which is the former church that burned down ~ 5 years ago.
https://www.edinarealty.com/land-lots-f ... 06-4823322#/

Not sure why they show a rendering of four townhouses, given that the parcel is zoned R1A. This would be a great spot for a Form Follows Finance Fourplex with a couple storefronts, if it was zoned C1 instead of R1A.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 10:25 am
by aeisenberg
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 10:40 am
by min-chi-cbus
Yikes....kinda takes over the surrounding built environment! I feel bad for the current residents but otherwise it's a neat adaptive reuse of the existing built environment (as opposed to an adaptive reuse of an existing building).

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 10:59 am
by mattaudio
Should fit in much better once the different materials are up. It breaks up the monotony quite a bit and makes it feel like a number of smaller buildings.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 11:29 am
by David Greene
"Looming" is appropriate here. Hope it turns out better.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 11:53 am
by RailBaronYarr
On one hand, this building meets the definition of looming. On the other hand,,,,

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 2:08 pm
by phop
I still find those billboards to be more offensive.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 13th, 2017, 9:40 pm
by Sara Bergen
New restaurant on 38th and Cedar:

http://www.lucymarket.com/

Looking forward to checking this out.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 7:55 am
by David Greene
RailBaronYarr wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 11:53 am
On one hand, this building meets the definition of looming.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the density at all. I'd welcome more. It's the way the building wraps around that small corner structure, like Sauron watching over the land...If the exterior is meant to visually break up the massing that should help.

And the iceberg is maybe not the best example as scientists aren't saying it's due to climate change. It could be ordinary activity. There are plenty of other examples to point to such as changes in weather patterns, overall ice recession, &c. I get mildly annoyed when people cite examples that aren't (yet) backed by science as it discredits the overall message.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 8:19 am
by min-chi-cbus
David Greene wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 7:55 am
RailBaronYarr wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 11:53 am
On one hand, this building meets the definition of looming.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the density at all. I'd welcome more. It's the way the building wraps around that small corner structure, like Sauron watching over the land...If the exterior is meant to visually break up the massing that should help.

And the iceberg is maybe not the best example as scientists aren't saying it's due to climate change. It could be ordinary activity. There are plenty of other examples to point to such as changes in weather patterns, overall ice recession, &c. I get mildly annoyed when people cite examples that aren't (yet) backed by science as it discredits the overall message.
Though on that particular subject I thought they said that the Larsen ice break is potentially a harbinger of things to come that could be more directly related to man-driven climate change, and a MUCH bigger risk to flooding/sea level rise.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 8:40 am
by acs
min-chi-cbus wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:19 am
David Greene wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 7:55 am
RailBaronYarr wrote:
July 13th, 2017, 11:53 am
On one hand, this building meets the definition of looming.
Oh, I'm not complaining about the density at all. I'd welcome more. It's the way the building wraps around that small corner structure, like Sauron watching over the land...If the exterior is meant to visually break up the massing that should help.

And the iceberg is maybe not the best example as scientists aren't saying it's due to climate change. It could be ordinary activity. There are plenty of other examples to point to such as changes in weather patterns, overall ice recession, &c. I get mildly annoyed when people cite examples that aren't (yet) backed by science as it discredits the overall message.
Though on that particular subject I thought they said that the Larsen ice break is potentially a harbinger of things to come that could be more directly related to man-driven climate change, and a MUCH bigger risk to flooding/sea level rise.
But, when these ice shelves break off and melt, sea level actually goes down slightly, not up. I don't see how people don't get this.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 8:56 am
by phop
acs wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:40 am
But, when these ice shelves break off and melt, sea level actually goes down slightly, not up. I don't see how people don't get this.
Depends on if it's land ice or sea ice.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 9:01 am
by acs
phop wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:56 am
acs wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:40 am
But, when these ice shelves break off and melt, sea level actually goes down slightly, not up. I don't see how people don't get this.
Depends on if it's land ice or sea ice.
Last time I checked, ice shelves are by definition over water not land.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 9:10 am
by phop
acs wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 9:01 am
phop wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:56 am
acs wrote:
July 14th, 2017, 8:40 am
But, when these ice shelves break off and melt, sea level actually goes down slightly, not up. I don't see how people don't get this.
Depends on if it's land ice or sea ice.
Last time I checked, ice shelves are by definition over water not land.
Oops, was thinking ice sheet/ice shelf could be used interchangeably, but no you're right.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: July 14th, 2017, 9:28 am
by EOst
You're right about sea ice, but the worrisome thing about sea ice collapse is that it holds back much larger areas of land ice. Larsen is a relatively low-risk shelf for sea level rise because it doesn't touch upon major land ice shelves. But the same process that undermined it could have impacts on much more consequential areas.

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station/Lander Development

Posted: July 31st, 2017, 8:06 pm
by mattaudio
mattaudio wrote:
November 2nd, 2016, 8:06 am
Northeast corner building recently sold, and new storefronts being created along 38th St.
Here's before: https://goo.gl/maps/iTkv2VUCSnu
Here's after:
Image
38th and Cedar NE Corner Rehab by Matt Steele, on Flickr
Botany Coffee
https://botanycoffee.com/

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: September 14th, 2017, 11:05 am
by John21

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: September 14th, 2017, 12:11 pm
by kiliff75
Phase 4. In the Future. :ugeek:

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: September 14th, 2017, 12:18 pm
by Sara Bergen
On the Planning Commission agenda for 9/18/17: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/meetin ... MSP-204821

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station Development

Posted: September 30th, 2017, 6:43 pm
by John21
I heard Keen Eye Coffee closed.