Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby twincitizen » August 13th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I made a Google map of parcels that are currently under construction or city approved. When possible I have added the # of units and current status.
I also highlighted some parcels that are no-brainers for future redevelopment or at least improvement from surface parking lots.
Feel free to correct any mistakes I've made and let me know if there is any additional information I should add.

Green = Complete
Blue = Approved and/or Under Construction
Pink = Proposed / Planned / Rumored
Gray = Fantasy / For Sale
Red = Dead

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Map of active Uptown projects and future speculation

Postby ECtransplant » August 13th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Where has Old Chicago been rumored to be in play?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » August 13th, 2012, 6:07 pm

It was purchased by a developer sometime ago for am outrageous price. No plans were ever made, but it is assumed that it will be redeveloped at some point.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 13th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Would love to see the parcel redeveloped where Lagoon forks off from Lake Street at Arby's. This could be a wonderful gateway building that would truly link Lyn-Lake and Uptown together. It is probably the most pivotal and important block to be developed in Uptown.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I think the redevelopment of the Arby's/Rainbow/Planned Parent hood Blocks and the Nic/Lake Blocks are the two most Underutilized areas in the area. Redevelopment of them could completely change the ball game. It would be cool to see the uptown lots get some more mixed use, but more Hotel and Office space focused, and really turn Nic/Lake into a great residential village.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Uptown Projects Map

Postby ECtransplant » August 18th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Is 27th and Hennepin part of uptown in Meg Tuthill's book?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » August 19th, 2012, 12:42 am

On that note, why is the forum only broken up into downtown, uptown, university and other? And no, Uptown starts at 28th and don't forget it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 19th, 2012, 11:29 am

Updates for 9/19:

Dwell at Calhoun Greenway added.
New Walker Library added.
"Top of The Mall" renovation added. (next to library)
Vacant gas station at 2700 Hennepin added.

Calhoun Beach Clerb 2 updated, including the following link with massing diagrams: http://cidnalanduse.wordpress.com/2012/ ... thomas-ave

For the purpose of this map, I'll be using this definition of Uptown:

With its epic-center considered at the intersection of Hennepin Avenue and Lake Street, Uptown also includes the districts of the Wedge, South Hennepin, West Calhoun, and Lyn-Lake.
Source: http://www.ouruptown.com/visitor-information

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 19th, 2012, 12:41 pm

ECtransplant wrote:Is 27th and Hennepin part of uptown in Meg Tuthill's book?
No, that is technically in the "East Isles" neighborhood.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 19th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Lagoon and Hennepin is also part of the East Isles neighborhood. Are we saying that's not uptown? Every inch of uptown, wherever you want to draw the boundaries, is also part of one of the four "official" neighborhoods there.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 19th, 2012, 3:50 pm

seanrichardryan wrote:On that note, why is the forum only broken up into downtown, uptown, university and other? And no, Uptown starts at 28th and don't forget it.
The only other districts I can see being added are "St. Anthony" and/or "Hiawatha". There just aren't enough projects outside of those zones, including St. Anthony and Hiawatha.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 9th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Decided to post this here, as it doesn't really merit a thread of its own yet.

The Loring Car Wash, at the southeast corner of Lyndale and 22nd, just had a sign go up that reads "For Sale or Development." Hopefully we'll see some plans emerge for this woefully underutilized parcel.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2012, 10:32 pm

It was supposed to be included in that Trader Joe's/Le Parisien Phase II project that was canceled.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 9th, 2012, 10:48 pm

This part of Lyndale is in desperate need of rethinking in terms of its streetscape and priority given to certain forms of single occupancy motorized transportation. The transformation south of 31st St. is beautiful. Redoing the rest of Lyndale to match its heavily pedestrianized and urban character would do wonders and make developers drool over the underused parcels. But then again, I say these sorts of things a lot...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 10th, 2012, 9:56 am

It's true, you do. And then I say things like, "Where, exactly, do you expect all of the cars and buses are going to go to?

Unlike some other streets, where there is arguably excess capacity in terms of number of lanes, I just don't see that argument holding here. This stretch of Lyndale is congested much of the day. South of 31st, traffic volumes drop off and buses disappear; it becomes much more residential and less commercial. It's a completely different street.

And also, unlike some other streets (I'm looking at you, Franklin), I've never thought that Lyndale is a particularly bad street for pedestrians. It's got ample sidewalks and boulevards, and frequent signalized crosswalks. Could it be improved? Sure, this stretch hasn't been redone since the 1950's (I think), and it could use some updating. But it's not the hell that you make it out to be.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 10th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I'm of the belief that we should design our roads, not engineer them. When engineering comes into play, pedestrians and bikes are always at the short end of the stick, and thus, the quality of our streetscapes are degraded. I'm not suggesting we reduce it from 4-2 lanes, but a 4-3 lane conversion would do Lyndale well. For every road diet and closure (East Franklin, Riverside Ave, Washington Ave on campus, even Nicollet Mall) there will always be concerns of where the cars will go and that chaos will ensue, but things always seem to work out in the end. People adjust their travel behaviors, be it route choice, time of day, or god forbid, changing modes.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » October 10th, 2012, 10:03 pm

MNdible wrote:It's true, you do. And then I say things like, "Where, exactly, do you expect all of the cars and buses are going to go to? .
I expect them to be replaced with street cars!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 11th, 2012, 10:56 am

I am of the belief that there are some streets that should not have bike traffic because it is simply too dangerous with the amount of traffic. This stretch of Lyndale is one of them. We are building a lot of bicycle boulevards, so we are clearly not ignoring our bike commuters and entusiasts. As a person who relies on driving for my work I take offense to the people that believe bikes and rapid transit are the only options. I could not make a living doing what I do without an automobile. Again, I believe bikes have a place in our society, but automobiles do too.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 12th, 2012, 8:54 am

nordeast homer wrote:I am of the belief that there are some streets that should not have bike traffic because it is simply too dangerous with the amount of traffic. This stretch of Lyndale is one of them. We are building a lot of bicycle boulevards, so we are clearly not ignoring our bike commuters and entusiasts. As a person who relies on driving for my work I take offense to the people that believe bikes and rapid transit are the only options. I could not make a living doing what I do without an automobile. Again, I believe bikes have a place in our society, but automobiles do too.
Agree completely. What really grinded my gears was someone biking down Lyndale in heavy traffic. I mean, Bryant is a block away.

[mod="Nick"][/mod]Note: Snipped for unnecessary insults. What is it about biking that makes people unable to have a nice conversation?

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » October 19th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Umm, because everything is on Lyndale? I use streets on either side and usually have a decent idea of where my destination when I'm headed to Lyndale so that at most it's like three blocks away, but I'm not about to bike to Lyndale only to go around and come back because I was off: if cars are so fast and convenient motorists can go ahead and do that. And Lyndale would benefit from a speed reduction by retiming the lights and lowering the official speed limit: you can fit more cars onto the same stretch at 25 MPH than 35 MPH since drivers give each other more space at faster speeds.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”