Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
buzz
City Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby buzz » November 12th, 2015, 7:39 pm

A building permit was issued for 1001 W. Lake (former CarX location) and the tenant will be a mattress firm.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 12th, 2015, 10:09 pm

New retail venue going in the former CarX location, 1001 W. Lake.
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 42831.html
Methinks this is not the tenant they originally had in mind and most of those grand ideas for renovation/expansion of the building won't be happening. Mattress Firm is pretty bottom shelf retail. They also already have a newish location at Kenwood Crossing (ugly strip mall on 2300 block of Hennepin). Wonder if they'll stay put there...pretty easy to move a mattress store around considering they basically have 0 interior fixtures.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 12th, 2015, 11:02 pm

“...en route to becoming the neighborhood’s newest Class A retail building. [] This is a neighborhood we really understand, and we feel pretty bullish about it,” Hara said. “Our strategy is to get really educated on a certain area.”
Class A Mattress shop next to Class A Darque Tan. Classy.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 12th, 2015, 11:17 pm

The missing link from Uptown to Lyn-Lake.. Verizon, Darque Tan, Tires Plus, Car Quest and now a Mattress firm (also Arby's).

Can't wait for these sites to finally sell to a developer!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 12th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Well that didn't go as planned.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 23rd, 2015, 11:18 am

I stole these pictures of the monstrosity at 28th/Dupont (discussed upthread by a page or so) from someone.

I dunno I just don't think it looks that bad (or even out of place given this thing right across the street). I could imagine a neighborhood full of buildings roughly this size, with some of them more goofy looking than others, and it would be pretty nice.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 23rd, 2015, 1:26 pm

Cheap ass porch, random window sizes, horrifically bad scale. It's so cobbled together it difficult to believe that it's new construction. Yep, this one will win the hearts and minds of the neighborhood. What's the address? I'd like to see who's pulling permits for such a 'gem.'

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 23rd, 2015, 2:37 pm

It's the Turkey To Go guys (the ones also featured in that HGTV show) who are putting this one up, under the name Klp Real Estate Llc. 2743 Dupont I believe. Porch looks fine to me, no worse than the one on the building this is replacing (with a cheap ass wood stairway facing the sidewalk to a second story and random window sizes facing the street). In 50 years no one will think anything of this building here, at least not more than the passing reference to its slightly goofy proportions, just like the examples I referenced from Chicago (there were so many like them I didn't bother to snap pictures of all of them). I'm more than comfortable with a bunch of these mediocre projects getting built across the city.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » November 23rd, 2015, 2:50 pm

I'm ok with it too. It brings great density without significantly changing the appearance of the neighborhood. I'd like to see a whole block of these supertalls.

rcrades
Block E

Former Car-X Site

Postby rcrades » December 19th, 2015, 8:53 am

Car-X has closed; the structure has a new roof and the beginning of a new facade. Does anyone know what is going in here?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Former Car-X Site

Postby seanrichardryan » December 19th, 2015, 9:32 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 3rd, 2016, 2:30 pm

3121 Fremont is a strange little old "townhome" building. Ugly as sin, but unconventional. You don't see much of that around here.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 5th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Wells Fargo appealing the parking variance maximum of 17 spaces, they want 36.

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 171597.pdf

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 5th, 2016, 3:09 pm

3121 Fremont is a strange little old "townhome" building. Ugly as sin, but unconventional. You don't see much of that around here.
I actually kinda like it. The wall against the sidewalk is very European/Japanese (not that this alone is reason to like the wall), providing some privacy to that little patio. I think it would work really well if there were two of these facing each other like a pass-through courtyard. With two lots you could have some small trees down the center of the path.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 6th, 2016, 3:54 pm

I updated the Google Map at the top of this thread, for the first time in probably a year. Let me know if you see anything missing

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 7th, 2016, 9:27 am

I updated the Google Map at the top of this thread, for the first time in probably a year. Let me know if you see anything missing
Not sure how far out your intent is, but 3601 Nicollet isn't on the map:

https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3843

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » January 7th, 2016, 9:43 am

Rezoning 3200 Bryant Ave S from R2B to C1:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 171768.pdf

Apparently the old convenience store has been closed and external renovations already completed. I guess I haven't driven by here in a while to notice.
The applicant is proposing to convert the existing vacant commercial building into two commercial spaces, which would be 995 square feet and 1,345 square feet, respectively. The applicant is proposing interior modifications and has already completed facade and HVAC improvements, including new stucco and storefront glass, but is not proposing any changes that would affect the bulk of the building. The proposed use of acupuncture and rehabilitation body work falls under the category of general retail sales and services in the C1 district.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 7th, 2016, 11:49 am

I wonder how many old corner buildings like this have, over the years, been rezoned to R1/R2 instead of a more appropriate commercial zoning. I think it's actually quite common, particularly for the oddball ones that are built off the front of a residential structure.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » January 7th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I can think of a few. I like this one (zoned R2B), but it looks like it's being lived in from outside.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 7th, 2016, 12:25 pm

^ This one is also R2B https://goo.gl/maps/NTig6xb7RK22 Wife and I toured it when looking for a place almost 2 years ago. Though I'm not sure if it was converted to residential before or after the zoning change.