Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby seanrichardryan » December 12th, 2016, 5:50 pm

New 13 story project on Lake Calhoun:

http://www.startribune.com/developer-ey ... 406091856/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John21
Union Depot

Postby John21 » December 12th, 2016, 6:25 pm

Didn't they try 11 stories at that one just a bit west of this one and got shot down?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 12th, 2016, 7:34 pm

There was an 11-story that was shot down to 6 based on fears it would blot out the sun. The six story that the neighbors thought they favored ended up with a building that is a low wall that can't be seen around.

From reading the proposals it seems the developer is pointing out that if the 13 story is shot down the lower they are required to go the wider they will fill up their property. Seems a warning shot at people living behind it, be careful what you wish for.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » December 12th, 2016, 8:54 pm

More than the neighbors, it was CIDNA that doesn't want anything above 6 stories. They want to prevent the Calhoun Village strip mall from being redeveloped into residential towers, whenever that happens. I'll be surprised if anything above 6 happens in this location.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 12th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Okay so I'm all for green space and more parks in Minneapolis, but why here? It's backyard is green space, so is across the street, etc. Can't we just put in like a 1 story commercial building there with 4 bays? Parking in the back if needed? This area is dense enough that I want to see more retail starting to line Excelsior Blvd.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » December 12th, 2016, 9:44 pm

I think some serious work would have to be done to calm Lake & Excelsior before street-fronting retail could do well here. Maybe I'm wrong.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 13th, 2016, 11:37 am

I wish they would subdivide this lot into 2-4 smaller parcels shotgun style that have a narrow width but go all the way back to the property line where it meets the trail/railroad. That way the developments that would occur would infill similar to the 3 projects immediately to the west of this parcel, which are developed ultra efficiently. As for the height, I'd have no issue with 13 floors but I think everybody knows that isn't happening. That being said, I prefer their 9 story contingency to their 6-story one. However, to me it's almost a foregone conclusion that the retail areas just to the west of these parcels will be redeveloped to include much taller structures (taller than 6 floors, anyways), so I'm not sure 6 floors should be the artificial ceiling here anymore.

I know that Calhoun Towers was originally designed to have a twin to its east/northeast, but because of soil conditions and difficulty getting the foundation of the building in place, that twin was never built. Given today's technology, would that parcel be in play for future redevelopment if/when the SWLRT corridor has a station right next to that area? I wonder if it's outside the shoreline overlay district that limits heights of new structures...

Jacobean
Block E

Postby Jacobean » December 14th, 2016, 9:49 am

grant1simons2 wrote:Okay so I'm all for green space and more parks in Minneapolis, but why here? It's backyard is green space, so is across the street, etc. Can't we just put in like a 1 story commercial building there with 4 bays? Parking in the back if needed? This area is dense enough that I want to see more retail starting to line Excelsior Blvd.
Likely because of Minneapolis' park dedication ordinance, which requires most new development to either provide park space or pay a fee. In cases like this where the proposal is for some sort of half-baked "open space" that isn't that useful to anyone (and where there is ample park space nearby), I hope the Park Board rejects the plan and requires the dedication fee.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 11:17 am

"Discussion" about shoreland overlay district height limitations.
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... yQbU0ibLO/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 4th, 2017, 11:30 am

Arlene F wrote: I lived in Bryn Mawr but like many residents of Minneapolis, I felt a responsibility to preserve our natural resources from being exploited. When a 24 story tower was proposed on the CBC's property across from Lake Calhoun, the residents of Minneapolis revolted. We did not want the profit motive converting Lake Calhoun into another Miami or Chicago with a ring of high rises dominating the lake.
Why not? What if current stakeholders don't concur with this assessment? I want more high rises around Lake Calhoun, as do plenty of other folks.

(I'm not going to post on E-Democracy, but man these people go on like everyone agrees with them...like it's all residents of Minneapolis vs. evil developers and evil elected officials)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 12:01 pm

I was thinking the same thing.... Sounds like a great place for a few tens of thousands of residents, so close to our natural amenities.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 4th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Here is the 7-story rentals at Lake St and Holmes:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 191906.pdf

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 4th, 2017, 12:59 pm

twincitizen wrote:(I'm not going to post on E-Democracy, but man these people go on like everyone agrees with them...)
It's a good thing this only happens on the E-Democracy forum.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » January 4th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Can't believe that poster didn't mention New York, but then again, pictures of Central Park surrounded by skyscrapers are kinda awesome: https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm ... FO3gVfqGjs
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 4th, 2017, 3:17 pm

bapster2006 wrote:Here is the 7-story rentals at Lake St and Holmes:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 191906.pdf
Wait where did you find this?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 4th, 2017, 3:46 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:
Wait where did you find this?
Looks like there's a bug on the meetings page. No meetings show up at first, but if you drop down to "Planning Commission" you get the agenda for January 9: http://minneapolismn.gov/meetings/planning/WCMSP-191891

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 5th, 2017, 1:07 pm

Beyond visual pollution (...) can they articulate how a taller building is any worse for the local environment than a 40' high one? Thinking things like runoff, tree coverage, air quality, etc. Obviously the discussion of unintended consequences of rich people just mowing down acres of land for a mansion in the 4th ring and driving into Minneapolis without skyscrapers is lost on these folks. But I'd at least like an honest assessment of their motive: 1) they don't like developers who make money and 2) they don't like the look of skyscrapers.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » January 5th, 2017, 1:39 pm

3) they don't like other people getting in the way of their life.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 5th, 2017, 2:03 pm

I feel like there's an idea that there's an infinite supply of affordable lake adjacent single family homes and putting a tower replaces some of that infinite supply with a limited number of above average cost homes.

I don't think anyone would state it quite like that but a lot of complaints against towers seem to come from a place of wanting to not let the lake be a place for only the wealthy. Meanwhile nearly all 10 of the most expensive homes in Minneapolis are around Lake Calhoun or very close to the lake (http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... nepin.html) so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that lake homes are for the common man.

Furthermore people just seem to think there's an infinite supply of single family homes in any particular area. There's almost never any acknowledgement that building towers would increase the number of homes in an area. Again I don't think anybody would state that they think there are infinite homes but they're certainly never reached the conclusion that there's a finite number of single family homes in a given area.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 5th, 2017, 3:05 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:Meanwhile nearly all 10 of the most expensive homes in Minneapolis are around Lake Calhoun or very close to the lake (http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... nepin.html) so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that lake homes are for the common man.
Your point is made, but only one of those 10 houses is on Lake Calhoun. 7 are on lake of the isles though.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”