Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby bapster2006 » February 2nd, 2017, 1:12 pm

Here is the packet for the Parkway Residences, an 18-unit condo building at Lake and E Calhoun Pkwy. Big windows.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 193331.pdf

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 2nd, 2017, 9:43 pm

I see no problem with that. Heck, I almost think another floor would be ok here.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » February 3rd, 2017, 4:29 pm

I agree on both counts. The big windows are great, and at its current height of five floors it blends in pretty well I think.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 22nd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Sons of Norway building is up for sale.

http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2017 ... e-For-Sale

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » February 22nd, 2017, 10:14 pm

TEAR IT DOWN
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 23rd, 2017, 8:47 am

It's definitely "out of character" for the neighborhood...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 23rd, 2017, 10:41 am

Odd, Hennepin County shows the NoN and WF parcels on the northern part of the block only combine up to ~1.35 acres. Between the SoN building and their 1.1 acre parking lot is a small condo building, so I'm not sure if that's part of the deal or not. But the site acreage isn't adding up to the 2.2 the TCB Mag is reporting. Is that condo building a goner or would they have to build around it?

It's really a shame the Uptown Small Area Plan didn't even designate the area west of Hennepin as Urban Village but rather, Live/Work with the southern half of this block "Neighborhood". That said, the northern half of the block is zoned C3A despite being out of the USAP designated "Activity Center" with the long southern parking lot zoned R4. I'm really hoping that since this is one of the last surface lots in Uptown (yes, the graphic doesn't count the Lunds or SoN lots because they're outside the Activity Center), we can get:

- One last structured district parking for Uptown
- A focus on office space over residential. That image we saw floated for like a day for the Calhoun Square rubble pit along Lake wouldn't be awful, and there's plenty of capacity for residential infill in the neighborhoods if we'd just allow it.

Honestly, what's there is a monolithic 3-story thing. If we allowed that level of massing along Lake with better design and some sort of a tower behind it for [office, hotel, whatever] it really wouldn't be bad. Slap a parking ramp in the middle of the block access by a mid-block east/west alley, shield it with some townhomes along Holmes and Humboldt, and transition to apartments or whatever on the surface lot down to 31st St.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 23rd, 2017, 11:05 am

RailBaronYarr wrote:
February 23rd, 2017, 10:41 am
Odd, Hennepin County shows the NoN and WF parcels on the northern part of the block only combine up to ~1.35 acres. Between the SoN building and their 1.1 acre parking lot is a small condo building, so I'm not sure if that's part of the deal or not. But the site acreage isn't adding up to the 2.2 the TCB Mag is reporting. Is that condo building a goner or would they have to build around it?
That number appears to come directly from CBRE.

The 2.17 acres that CBRE quotes is the exact size of all of the Sons of Norway property plus a piece owned by Wells Fargo that is adjacent. So maybe it's going to be a building that kind of wraps around the condo?

Here's an image of the properties CBRE is highlighting.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 23rd, 2017, 11:15 am

Thanks for that! So the 2.17 acres is the parcels Sons of Norway owns, and the little surface parking between them (2 parcels, each 0.14 acres) is owned by WF. Given the new WF branch across Humboldt has parking, I can't imagine they'd need to hold on to it anymore. The condo building is a different story. It's certainly nice looking, but nothing unique or special. I don't know how difficult it is to buy out 10 units, but I'd imagine any redevelopment would be substantially easier without that building there.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 23rd, 2017, 11:29 am

Yeah, it would seem to be a lot easier to buy them out than put the building around them. The units themselves are also pretty cheap - Hennepin County records show valuations from about $60K to $120K.

I also imagine that the eventual buyer of the SoN properties could make a case to the condo owners that their property isn't going to increase greatly in value when it's wrapped on three sides by an apartment/office/whatever building. Those people with sunny, south-facing units can kiss their views goodbye, so why not cash out?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 23rd, 2017, 11:41 am

How do condo buyouts generally work? Is there something included in the deed or HOA regs or something to force out the last owner(s) if most have sold, or can one determined owner scuttle the whole thing?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 23rd, 2017, 1:02 pm

How do we convince Lunds to move into this new development and allow their current site to be redeveloped? This is possibly one of the only sites other than their current spot large enough for this to happen in uptown. Fantastic fantasy I know but their current lot drives me insane.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 23rd, 2017, 1:14 pm

I like that idea quite a bit. I know it sounds super lame, but would reaching out to their corporate real estate team and/or local management help? While this project is way too early to have any details, them getting in the conversation early is the only way it'll probably happen (and, tbh, having a tenant lined up that everybody in the area knows and many use helps sell the project).

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 23rd, 2017, 1:43 pm

mattaudio wrote:
February 23rd, 2017, 8:47 am
It's definitely "out of character" for the neighborhood...
I "mildly" like it. It is a well-kept mid-century building with a cool exterior pattern. The street level could be spruced up a bit, maybe a couple more trees added.

Given the bland sameness out of apartment projects in Uptown, I'd say this "out of character" building is a welcome respite from the corrugated steel and peel-and-stick windowed apartment buildings that are being slapped up.

Give me:

Over:

Any day!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 23rd, 2017, 1:55 pm

I'm guilty of more than mildly liking the current SoN building but wouldn't argue of the redevelopment is really great.

I love the brut modernism and the street level would be easy to humanize.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 23rd, 2017, 3:33 pm

Designed by Thorsen and Thorshov. There's another Thorshov building (w/ Cerny) under threat right now, the Public Service Center.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 23rd, 2017, 5:31 pm

The "out of character with the neighborhood" thing was a joke poking fun at anti-development neighbors. I personally like the building quite a bit. I see no reason why it couldn't stay, possibly with the ground floor converted to retail. Then build some structured parking on the interior block, and there's plenty of space for two new residential buildings and some liner parcels.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 23rd, 2017, 8:18 pm

L M A O
The Uptown Small Area Plan, which guides the neighborhood for developers, says the preferred height on those parcels is two to five stories.

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 25th, 2017, 9:06 am

I've always thought a smaller scale of Kansas City Live! would work great on that parcel. Have a few levels of bars and restaurants lining Humboldt and Holmes with a covered (maybe retractable?) courtyard in the center that faces Lake Street. Add in a 6 story apartment building along Holmes on the southern end of the block maybe another smaller apartment building or even offices on backside of the Humboldt half. Build the whole thing over district parking and make sure there is great activation along Lake and you would have an amazing, unique project.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

That shuttered fourplex at 3245 Hennepin Ave has submitted plans to rehab

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 196225.pdf

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”