Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Projects Map

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 14th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I have a friend who lived in Bleu with his girlfriend. We were walking by the Walkway when it was just 1 level of studs, and I pointed it out. Despite the fact that she was a 20-something who was living in a luxury apartment building blocks away, she responded "yeah, more stupid expensive apartments." I chuckled and didn't say anything since it was a girlfriend.

I agree that most people don't realize the housing market works a lot like everything else, and assume that new expensive stuff going in will just raise the prices of existing units around it (heck, roughly 6 months ago I had the same feelings). I think they see things framed very local - ie propert taxes on the commercial/residential spaces directly surrounding a new development go up, they assume it must be the case for everywhere else (and this conception is only upheld by the residents being put in news articles or tv stories).

Add in that most people will tend to swing emotionally toward historic preservation, particularly for structures built from 1900 to 1950. Finally, add in the equalizer - conservatives, liberals, you name it, everyone gets a hair up their butt regarding a loss of parking. Thus a pretty knee-jerk reaction toward development.

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Projects Map

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 6:08 pm

For a PERFECT sampling of what we're talking about, albeit tinged by post-Opus Dinkytown angst, check out MN Daily's Facebook status today about the demolition of Sally's (which clearly states that Sally's will return in the new building). The comments are exactly what we're talking about. A one story divey bar/restaurant is "unique" and has "character" while these new apartments are for "yuppies" or "take advantage of students"

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Development Map and General Discussion

Postby twincitizen » August 20th, 2013, 10:32 am

Some blah blah report about the Lyn-Lake parking lot at Lake & Garfield: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 113014.pdf

Only click that link if you are interested in the finance & operations of that lot. I am, of course, because I eventually want to see it replaced by a mixed-use development that includes public parking.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » September 6th, 2013, 8:18 pm

http://elanuptown.com/assets/images/bg_contact.jpg

Pretty interesting view of uptown. Definitely demonstrates the potential for future development, especially along the south side of the greenway.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 6th, 2013, 10:35 pm

It's funny, that view makes me think of a small Minnesota town/city. Not like a true big city district. It makes me think of St. Cloud or something along those lines, not a major city. But the development going on in the different parcels helps encourage me.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 7th, 2013, 10:14 am

Minnekid wrote:It's funny, that view makes me think of a small Minnesota town/city. Not like a true big city district. It makes me think of St. Cloud or something along those lines, not a major city. But the development going on in the different parcels helps encourage me.
Still too many gaps, but like you say it's improving. Also, when you walk around at the ground level the area is starting to have a more dense urban feel. I'm optimistic in a few years many of the remaining vacant lots will be filled. The striking Mozaic phase 2 should raise the design bar to improve the quality of future projects. And I hope that new development starts focusing on other uses rather than rental to diversify activity. The apartment boom has been great to get the ball rolling and increase the density, however, I think there's a risk of too much concentration of this type of development. This area does NOT need any more stick built apartment projects.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 7th, 2013, 10:19 pm

John wrote: Still too many gaps, but like you say it's improving. Also, when you walk around at the ground level the area is starting to have a more dense urban feel. I'm optimistic in a few years many of the remaining vacant lots will be filled. The striking Mozaic phase 2 should raise the design bar to improve the quality of future projects. And I hope that new development starts focusing on other uses rather than rental to diversify activity. The apartment boom has been great to get the ball rolling and increase the density, however, I think there's a risk of too much concentration of this type of development. This area does NOT need any more stick built apartment projects.
Yeah the ground level is improving dramaticallly. Especially in the spot where the first phase of the Mozaic is. With the construction of the new apartment building, that corner has that "complete" feel. Now I don't know if saying apartment construction is bad because it is being mixed. There is office space mixed with residential and tons of retail. Before uptown was a district of retail only and then around it single family homes. Would much rather have retail and apartments on top. Now the office space developments are just the cherry on top.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

FLUX

Postby Minneboy » September 21st, 2013, 11:03 am

Whatever happened to this topic? Weird. Anyways came across the site's video advertisement. Who can guess the star at 1:24 minutes or there abouts.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: FLUX

Postby Minneboy » September 21st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Forgot to post the link. http://www.liveinflux.com/

Chauncey87
Landmark Center

Re: FLUX

Postby Chauncey87 » September 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm

Ricky Rubio! I found that video to make the FLUX out to be a very sexy place to live.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 21st, 2013, 3:38 pm

This project has been done since before the site started, so I moved it into the general area. I'll say that despite the marketing and such, I know more (than zero) empty nesters/other older people who've moved into these new apartment buildings than any 20-something Targetrons (zero).

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 21st, 2013, 6:39 pm

Nick wrote:This project has been done since before the site started, so I moved it into the general area. I'll say that despite the marketing and such, I know more (than zero) empty nesters/other older people who've moved into these new apartment buildings than any 20-something Targetrons (zero).
Reminds me how Toyota launched the Scion brand hoping to attract youngsters and ended up with an average buyer older than Buick's average buyer.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2013, 6:07 am

Nick wrote:This project has been done since before the site started, so I moved it into the general area. I'll say that despite the marketing and such, I know more (than zero) empty nesters/other older people who've moved into these new apartment buildings than any 20-something Targetrons (zero).
Oh, there are plenty of 20-somethings living there. At least I assume they live there since they're at the outdoor bar or sunbathing with umbrella drinks. It's all a bit droll to this old-timer.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2013, 9:55 am

I clearly need wealthier friends...

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » October 4th, 2013, 10:35 am

Ran into this interesting old article just now:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/s ... l?page=all

I didn't realize Solhem was originally going to be a hotel, and is a total bummer that it didn't end up being that. But I also find it interesting that the president of the wood-framing contractor company thought the market was slowing down in 2010, considering that looking retrospectively it was the beginning of the building boom. I'm crossing my fingers and knocking on (6-story apartment) wood that the doubters stating 2014 as the saturation year are wrong.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: CoCo Uptown

Postby Wedgeguy » October 11th, 2013, 3:37 pm

Saw a sign today on the door saying welcome to CoCo. With that I would assume that they are up and running or up and, maybe putting finishing touches on. Did not go in as I was on my way to an appointment.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 18th, 2013, 8:57 am

A facade fell off a building on the 3100 block of Emerson last night. The picture would seem to suggest that we've been doing the whole stick-frame-with-a-sturdy-looking-shell thing for a while now.
http://www.startribune.com/local/228325951.html

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2013, 10:27 am

F & C article, looks open!

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/10/bui ... co-uptown/

*lots of cool pics :)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 18th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Really neat project for Uptown and great reuse of the space.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 19th, 2013, 7:22 am

I used to live in an old brownstone at 2875 Irving S, the outer walls always looked like they were going to fall due to bowing. Keep an eye out for more falling bricks.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”