Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown Development Map and General Discussion

Postby mister.shoes » June 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm

Should have posted Stu's hilarious takedown of that here instead of the luxury thread:
http://www.minnpost.com/business/2014/0 ... using-boom

Also, a closer look at that same video reveals the shocking truth:
http://mspmag.com/Out-And-About/Article ... style-(1)/
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » June 2nd, 2014, 2:23 pm

ANYONE WHO IS MORE INTERESTING THAN I AM IS A HIPSTER & ANYONE WHO IS LESS INTERESTING THAN I AM IS A BRO & I AM MAD AS FUCK AT ALL OF THEM

https://twitter.com/ConorTripler/status ... 8435249152

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 2nd, 2014, 3:02 pm

Hipsters are interesting?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 2nd, 2014, 3:05 pm

ANYONE WHO IS MORE INTERESTING THAN I AM IS A HIPSTER & ANYONE WHO IS LESS INTERESTING THAN I AM IS A BRO & I AM MAD AS FUCK AT ALL OF THEM

https://twitter.com/ConorTripler/status ... 8435249152
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 2nd, 2014, 3:24 pm

I'm in no way a hipster, so does that mean people think I'm a brah?

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » June 2nd, 2014, 3:38 pm

Hipster and Brah? I live in uptown because it a gay neighorhood.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 2nd, 2014, 3:41 pm

Yeah brah

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 2nd, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hipster and Brah? I live in uptown because it a gay neighborhood.
Uptown will always have a large gay population with a strong contingent of liberal straight bohemians.That's what has maintained it over the years as a very desirable and stable neighborhood. My feeling is the pseudo hipster's , bro's, bimbo's, etc are just temporary fixtures who are "slumming" in Uptown's main drags at the moment. They are a short-lived trend of maybe ten years (just like the punk and grunge eras). In the 35 years I've lived here, Uptown has always had its trendy "scenes" that come and go. Interesting contrast to the North Loop which I guess is "hipster" too , but it appears the straight people there are more intent on raising children in that neighborhood.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 3rd, 2014, 6:15 am

Well yes, as a non-gay, non-hipster, non-brah family man I can tell you that my wife and I's interest in Uptown would be strictly temporary, as there's just too much noise and other chaos that makes the area fun as a young adult but also a bad spot for people with young children. Even if noise were not a factor the nightlife aspect is just not something we get to do much anymore and we'd rather live someplace near a great park that's also walkable and convenient (enter SW Mpls options).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 3rd, 2014, 9:47 am

Well yes, as a non-gay, non-hipster, non-brah family man I can tell you that my wife and I's interest in Uptown would be strictly temporary, as there's just too much noise and other chaos that makes the area fun as a young adult but also a bad spot for people with young children. Even if noise were not a factor the nightlife aspect is just not something we get to do much anymore and we'd rather live someplace near a great park that's also walkable and convenient (enter SW Mpls options).
I have several families on my block alone that are raising families in the shadows of Uptown proper. There is plenty of SFH around Uptown that is not noisy and are very family friendly. The area is not all apartment buildings. I enjoy living in a house and having a garden, I can still easily walk to either Uptown or Lynlake for what ever I want. I'm happy to now have places that more cater to me, like Leather and Latte being a 6 block walk away. I like Herrmikers, Muddy Waters, and I shop at the old Rainbow. There are still places that you don't have to be a hipster to enjoy in the neighborhood.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 3rd, 2014, 10:01 am

As someone who lives in Uptown with a one-year-old, I will say don't worry about the noise and nightlife too much. When I moved into my house I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of disruption. Sure, you get the occasional drunk yuppies stumbling by and talking too loud but it really isn't anything bothersome. More amusing than anything. And this is in the southern Wedge, where I'll bet most of the Uptown visitors park.

The benefits of living there are enormous. You've got a plethora of grocery options within walking distance, two theaters, plenty of good restaurants (most are not clubs), good retail (bookstores!), great transit service and it's *growing and dynamic.* Bryant Square park is a fabulous space and Mueller park is a nice small neighborhood park. The lakes are within easy walking distance. And the Greenway! It's certainly not for everyone, but there are a *lot* of babies moving into our neighborhood. I see strollers go by the house just about every day. The demographics are very different even from when I moved there a decade ago. Don't cross it off your permanent resident list yet.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 3rd, 2014, 10:05 am

I have several families on my block alone that are raising families in the shadows of Uptown proper. There is plenty of SFH around Uptown that is not noisy and are very family friendly. The area is not all apartment buildings. I enjoy living in a house and having a garden, I can still easily walk to either Uptown or Lynlake for what ever I want. I'm happy to now have places that more cater to me, like Leather and Latte being a 6 block walk away. I like Herrmikers, Muddy Waters, and I shop at the old Rainbow. There are still places that you don't have to be a hipster to enjoy in the neighborhood.
I thought I made it more evident in my OP but I meant to include those areas away from the core of Uptown as well, but those aren't areas where hipsters/punks/grunge/brah types would chose first to locate in this example, and so I was pointing out why that might be. It's also not altruistic, and it never will be.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 3rd, 2014, 10:11 am

As someone who lives in Uptown with a one-year-old, I will say don't worry about the noise and nightlife too much. When I moved into my house I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of disruption. Sure, you get the occasional drunk yuppies stumbling by and talking too loud but it really isn't anything bothersome. More amusing than anything. And this is in the southern Wedge, where I'll bet most of the Uptown visitors park.

The benefits of living there are enormous. You've got a plethora of grocery options within walking distance, two theaters, plenty of good restaurants (most are not clubs), good retail (bookstores!), great transit service and it's *growing and dynamic.* Bryant Square park is a fabulous space and Mueller park is a nice small neighborhood park. The lakes are within easy walking distance. And the Greenway! It's certainly not for everyone, but there are a *lot* of babies moving into our neighborhood. I see strollers go by the house just about every day. The demographics are very different even from when I moved there a decade ago. Don't cross it off your permanent resident list yet.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but was noise, drunks, crime (larceny) a concern of you and your wife BEFORE you moved there? If I'm the only person who would be concerned about exposing my kids/family to those things I apologize. Besides, those things may not deter ME but my wife is a hard sell, as I would suspect is true of many's wives.

My folks used to live right off Clark St in the heart of Lincoln Park in Chicago and I can tell you that experience turned me off to the idea if raising a young family in that environment. WAY too much noise, too many drunk brahs, too many panhandlers, too many Mercedes zooming down quiet streets with no regard for those who live there, and too much crime. I know LP isn't Uptown but they aren't that different either.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 3rd, 2014, 10:29 am

As we have learned here in MPLS and anywhere in Minesota. Crime is not just for the city. I live across the street from where the police has chased a suspect and he broken into a house and was later killed and 2 officers wounded. This would be nothing in parts of N MPLS, But in the Wedge that was a big deal. It was an isolated incident, Crime in this area is probably on pare with some for the suburbs. If you think you are going to find a crime free Utopia then good luck. Like I say. There are several houses where I see kids playing in their front yard when I walk by. You have an out dated perception of the area. Is there crime, yes, is it a huge and bad problem? No different that the burglaries that happen in the burbs. In the 14 years I have lived here I have never had any incidences where I've been robbed, threatened, or made to feel unsafe. Even after the incident across the street I never felt less safe than I ever have. Crime is a problem in the country, rural cities, suburbs and inner city. I'm afraid that it is a fact of life. But unless you want to live in a gated community, and we saw what happened in one of those in Florida, you just have to live and be aware of your surroundings. If you want to live in fear, you will anywhere you live. If you decide to make an area your home, you will gain a sense of safety as you will understand the area that surrounds you.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 3rd, 2014, 11:22 am

You seem very offended, for which I feel sorry for you. It's just one person's opinion, and even that is riddled with exceptions and disclaimers.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » June 3rd, 2014, 11:36 am

I'm not offended by your opinions min-chi-cbus, but I'd agree with Wedgeguy's general sentiment. I feel very comfortable walking around Uptown with kids, and the main crime I've noticed recently is the length of time it takes to get a walk signal to cross Lagoon or Lake Street at Girard. Sometimes even when Lagoon and Lake have a red light at Hennepin Ave a block west, there's no signal change at Girard to let pedestrians cross.
My idea of walkable, vibrant, and normal might strike you as congested, loud, and strange - that's a matter of personal taste, and to each their own.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 3rd, 2014, 11:46 am

Hindsight is always 20/20 but was noise, drunks, crime (larceny) a concern of you and your wife BEFORE you moved there? If I'm the only person who would be concerned about exposing my kids/family to those things I apologize. Besides, those things may not deter ME but my wife is a hard sell, as I would suspect is true of many's wives.
I wasn't married when I moved there but I was a little concerned about noise and drunks. I am 180 degrees not a bar guy. Never went to the Uptown. Haven't been in William's. The Herk is nice. As I said, I was pleasantly surprised. You'll see the occasional panhandler on Lake & Hennepin but they are not aggressive. Once I had a guy ask me for some money to get his car towed out of a snowbank. I offered to help him shovel it out and what ensured was a hilarious effort of him trying to "remember" where he parked his car. We walked around three or four blocks before he gave up. :)

The only experience of crime I've had is when someone stole the not great bike out of my garage when I forgot to close the door. My then-girlfriend (now wife) had her car broken into and a crappy stereo stolen but she had parked across from the Rainbow so no eyes were on her car.

My next-door neighbor raised her kids in the neighborhood and that was when it was a bit rougher than it is now. So no, I have zero worries about raising kids there and apparently lots of others share my assessment. I would encourage you and your wife to try living in the Wedge or CARAG (another nice neighborhood) for a while to see if you like it. Pick a nice old apartment or rent a house in the area. Then you can get a feel for it before deciding whether to raise kids there.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 3rd, 2014, 11:47 am

the main crime I've noticed recently is the length of time it takes to get a walk signal to cross Lagoon or Lake Street at Girard.
That's the truth!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 3rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

I've lived in an apartment in Whittier that abuts noisy 28th Street for 3+ years, and I am always pleasantly shocked at how quiet it is south of 31st Street in CARAG & ECCO. The interior of the Wedge too is really, really quiet unless you're right on arterials like 26th, 28th, Lyndale, or Hennepin. When I visit friends' places at 31st & Colfax or 34th & Dupont, I just get jealous of how damn quiet it can be. I really need to move off of 28th Street...and away from the Sabri empire (but that's a separate issue).

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 3rd, 2014, 12:16 pm

I was not offended, I just wanted to clear up any misconception that others might get that this is a noisy and unsafe neighborhood. By the number of Bikers and walkers that go by my house everyday. There are retailers that would be jealous of those numbers. With the influx of people it only mean more eyes are watching, and the more people the safer it is to be out and about. There is great foot traffic in the wedge and I'm sure the surrounding neighborhoods as people walk to the retail areas for entertainment and commodities.