Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Development Map and General Discussion

Postby Nick » June 21st, 2014, 6:14 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » June 21st, 2014, 7:14 pm

uptown is blowing up lately!!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 22nd, 2014, 8:10 pm

If somebody told me 5 years ago that there would be mid rises from Hennepin to Lyndale on one side if the Greenway (let alone about 1.5 sides) I'd laugh at them!

What's the next plot to get a major proposal? Arbys? Rainbow? Calhoun Sq (that seems imminent already though)? Another??

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 22nd, 2014, 9:57 pm

Does this count as a development bandwagon?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Calhoun Beach Club

Postby seanrichardryan » June 23rd, 2014, 10:42 am

Scoffolding is coming down on the lakeside. This is a mugo-bucks project; they replaced the copper cornice too. Looks brilliant!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Calhoun Beach Club

Postby seanrichardryan » June 25th, 2014, 4:44 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » July 7th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Is Cub Foods (formerly Rainbow) off to a bad start? They have a sign sitting on the Emerson side of the building that says "DO NOT ENTER All deliveries must enter from Bryant Avenue (opposite side)"

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 7th, 2014, 5:56 pm

You mean Dupont? Bryant is like 3 blocks away from Emerson

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » July 7th, 2014, 6:02 pm

You're right! The sign says Bryant though. Cub doesn't know their new neighborhood very well yet!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » July 7th, 2014, 6:57 pm

You're right! The sign says Bryant though. Cub doesn't know their new neighborhood very well yet!
Anything will be an improvement over Rainbow.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 7th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Maybe they just moved a sign from their Near North location.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 8th, 2014, 9:55 am

That sign is probably there for delivery drivers who have not ever delivered to that that store before. You have to approach from the east to line up with the angled loading docks at the back. It is smart to have them go to Bryant which is a wide street and can handle wide truck sand their wide turns. A driver would not want to make a turn from Dupont as there is a good grade dip at that point and you could possibly have a trailer or truck tip over if the load were to shift part way thru the turn. It is best to come straight from the east to and enter that area going str8 on 29th. This is part of why 29th is in such rough shape and why you can't close 29th as a pedestrian only as it is needed for truck deliveries to the grocery store.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 8th, 2014, 3:03 pm

buzz
City Center

Postby buzz » July 8th, 2014, 4:36 pm

That sign is probably there for delivery drivers who have not ever delivered to that that store before. You have to approach from the east to line up with the angled loading docks at the back. It is smart to have them go to Bryant which is a wide street and can handle wide truck sand their wide turns. A driver would not want to make a turn from Dupont as there is a good grade dip at that point and you could possibly have a trailer or truck tip over if the load were to shift part way thru the turn. It is best to come straight from the east to and enter that area going str8 on 29th. This is part of why 29th is in such rough shape and why you can't close 29th as a pedestrian only as it is needed for truck deliveries to the grocery store.
Ah, yes- that makes total sense.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 9th, 2014, 12:43 pm

A concrete example of gentrification.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 14th, 2014, 3:06 pm

SooVac is moving out of their space at Lyndale & 27th (NW corner...the one with the shipping container & huge parking lot).
http://blogs.citypages.com/dressingroom ... _input.php

I hope this means the shipping container can go bye-bye and we'll see a building addition that meets the corner...even if it's just a 1-story retail building.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » July 14th, 2014, 3:29 pm

I rather liked the shipping container when it was painted red and was called Manufactory, but that may be because I knew the owner and I liked the merchandise. Now that it is gray, I'd be happy to see it go. Trouble is, it is a pretty small lot, so redevelopment might not be easy. I wouldn't want to loose the main building that SooVac is in now, if possible.
My flickr photos.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2014, 4:29 pm

SooVac is probably moving out because Zeus wants to expand and they are willing to pay more rent for the space. I really don't see that parking lot going away without a full lot redevelopment. That is where Zeus's office parking lot. Without that lot the people who work there will be parking on neighborhood streets in front of peoples homes. We know how well the neighbors would like that!

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Apartment Boom

Postby David Greene » August 18th, 2014, 10:15 pm

I'd guess Cheapo will be the first to go, followed by Cub's eventual multi-story redevelopment. The Cub block is probably the most likely to get something taller than 6-stories on it.
I'm curious about this statement. Why would > 6 stories work better on Cub than Cheapo?

Unfortunately, I do think a Cub redevelopment is a ways off.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Apartment Boom

Postby Nathan » August 19th, 2014, 7:07 am

I'd guess Cheapo will be the first to go, followed by Cub's eventual multi-story redevelopment. The Cub block is probably the most likely to get something taller than 6-stories on it.
I'm curious about this statement. Why would > 6 stories work better on Cub than Cheapo?

Unfortunately, I do think a Cub redevelopment is a ways off.
I highly doubt the cub block would get much taller than 6-8 stories with the greenway north of it. I'd say calhoun square then Arbys or cheapo or mc Donalds... could go taller, who knows!