Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby LakeCharles » May 3rd, 2017, 6:23 am

On the plus side, a neighborhood (Tangletown/Kingfield) that has never had a comic book store will now be getting one!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 3rd, 2017, 9:54 am

Once we're done discussing the comic book shop, here's a thread for the development itself: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4222

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 3rd, 2017, 10:04 am

It is weird how so many on this forum seem to be pathologically incapable of sentimentality. Normal people aren't like that.
Pathological? Maybe just realistic. My boyfriend and I are artists, we have lots of sentiment and both have many labors of love. But that doesn't mean we can't be pragmatic. We both have jobs, are in school and work hard and plan for our future. I live in the neighborhood, we have our work up in shops in uptown regularly, and are a part of what make up the neighborhood character. People who have a labor of love are not given a pass for having to plan and be ready, its even more important, crucial even, so that we can keep up our passions.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2017, 10:29 am

It is weird how so many on this forum seem to be pathologically incapable of sentimentality. Normal people aren't like that.
I see where you're coming from here. I think part of the issue is the way this particular article and many articles like this in general are framed. City Pages writing around land use is usually pretty inflammatory and gets people riled up (because that gets clicks) and so comments are filled with people yelling about "condos" and destroying Uptown and etc etc. So a lot of us are kind of forced (even if subconsciously) to come as vehemently in favor of the change as the general tenor is opposed. And you lose some nuance when you take an extreme position (on either side).

I think also related to that, or just related to some of us always feeling on "the defensive" when it comes to new development, every mention of being said a place is going away or changing has an implied followup (real or imagined) of "and this is why we should stop that change."

So you're right, we can be sentimental about the past and nostalgic and even be "sad" that a part of our past is going away. I know for me, reading about the development of the Miracle Mile in Rochester, I'm a little "sad" because I have memories as a child of going into certain shops there with my mom. That doesn't mean I wish those shops were still there, it just means I have the capability to look back fondly on a part of my past.

Maybe we need better words to describe the feeling of being able to have positive memories of the past but also to look forward to the changes the future will bring.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 3rd, 2017, 10:57 am

I think part of the issue is the way this particular article and many articles like this in general are framed.
Agreed. I think the tone here was largely a reaction to the tone of the original article.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 3rd, 2017, 11:40 am

Isn't this a block away from Tower Games?

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » May 3rd, 2017, 11:52 am

Isn't this a block away from Tower Games?
Tower Games moved to 39th and Nicollet last year.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 3rd, 2017, 11:53 am

Does anyone remember what is going in at the NE corner of Henn and 35th? I think it was to be a small commercial building? Maybe it is something else now? Either way, the old (in very poor shape) house is now gone. This is actually on my block...but I don't know if it is a house or commercial going in.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2017, 2:11 pm

Does anyone remember what is going in at the NE corner of Henn and 35th? I think it was to be a small commercial building? Maybe it is something else now? Either way, the old (in very poor shape) house is now gone. This is actually on my block...but I don't know if it is a house or commercial going in.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=300&start=840#p130341

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

In addition to FMP's comments re: sentimentality (which I almost 100% agree with), I think there's room for people to be sentimental but maybe not about the same things you are. I have fond memories/nostalgia/sentiment for certain times in my life, like living with 10 close friends in a college house and all the wacky shit that happened (RIP, 701 15th Ave SE), or what my first-born kid was like when he first started to walk and talk (and now at 3 he feels like a straight-up kid). I even have a weird sentimentality for my first house in Lakeville with a third acre yard (that I mostly hated) because there were some good times in it (renting rooms out to 3 friends, meeting my now-wife, planning our wedding there, getting our first and then second dog, etc). Anyway it's possible to be a not-robot while still maybe not having the same sentimental feeling toward a business or even a building in your neighborhood that other people do. And then even if/when you do, it's possible to still be a booster for change because while I'm sad to see the comic shop go (as a CARAG resident, my kid is just now old enough to walk there with me and pick something out now and again - I'll miss that!) I'm equally/more excited for what the new development will bring.

And I really don't want this to come off as condescending (because I really don't mean it this way), but after my dad had a quadruple bypass (nearly died, made it through) and my wife's dad had a heart attack and passed away when she was 26 - both within 6 months of each other - I kinda took stock of the things that are worth getting very sad (or angry) about in the (hopefully) 80 years or so I'll have on this planet. Most of the "unique" or "cool" things Uptown has or had aren't things I can't live without, and maybe I'm wrong but I can't recall a particular business that was critical to the neighborhood's low-income population going away either. Anyway.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » May 3rd, 2017, 10:24 pm

Joe Biden had a nice comment tonight at a keynote at ULI/CNU in Seattle: he suggested it'd be a lot better for democracy to have people question someone's judgement, not motives. He shared an oft-cited lesson learned for him about Jesse Helms, who didn't support broader rights for those with disabilities and how Biden had questioned Helms on his care for those with disabilities only to learn that Helms had adopted a child who had a disability.

I think that applies to the YIMBY movement as well. You can be for development in general but also be sad and recognize that others have valid concerns about the change in their community, issues of displacement, etc.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 4th, 2017, 2:20 pm

A 6 story, 71 unit apartment building is being proposed for the current site of two houses, 3009-13 Holmes Ave S:

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 189809.pdf
Walked past today and the two houses were gone, this project is underway.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 16th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Sad to hear that Bradstreet Crafthouse is closing. I really liked that place. Both food and drinks were great. I'm curious to know what form it will take at the new airport hotel.

http://www.startribune.com/lowry-hill-s ... 422579284/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 16th, 2017, 1:34 pm

More importantly, they'll be redeveloping the property for housing and retail.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 16th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Something that butts right against Lowry Hill Meats and the liquor store would be great!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 16th, 2017, 8:44 pm

What were the "recent changes to the Lowry Hill strategic development overlay"? Did this area get added to the Pedestrian Overlay?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 17th, 2017, 8:05 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 25th, 2017, 6:23 pm

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 31st, 2017, 7:39 pm

Sad to hear that Bradstreet Crafthouse is closing. I really liked that place. Both food and drinks were great. I'm curious to know what form it will take at the new airport hotel.

http://www.startribune.com/lowry-hill-s ... 422579284/
http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... reet-site/

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 31st, 2017, 7:49 pm

That is awesome.