Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
GILBball
Metrodome

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby GILBball » September 18th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Did the 'For Lease' sign on Lime finally come down?? It would be great to get something in that large space after all this time.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » September 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Per the locator on the website, there's an Anytime Fitness slated to go in at 2904 Lyndale. That sounds as though it could be Lime's address... Is it?

LakeCharles
US Bank Plaza

Postby LakeCharles » September 18th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Yes, it is. Glad something is going in that space.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » November 7th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Any word on what's going on at Lyndale and 28th, behind the Subway? Seems like a very substantial renovation.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 7th, 2017, 2:53 pm

I understand that it's a co-working space, with perhaps a small restaurant tenant.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » January 1st, 2018, 6:49 pm

Commentary: Uptown is a bad place to do car-lite density.

http://www.startribune.com/beware-minne ... 467205213/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

alexschief
Nicollet Mall

Postby alexschief » January 2nd, 2018, 9:04 am

That editorial is like a fine wine. Just a work of art.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 2nd, 2018, 10:19 am

Why does the Strib give a platform to 80 year old Fairy Tale professors? This must have been a retirement present to John Telvin.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am

The same reason they let anyone who can put two words together write an editorial on SWLRT - repeat clicks for people fighting in the comments and red meat for their dwindling subscription base.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 2nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

VacantLuxuries wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 11:51 am
The same reason they let anyone who can put two words together write an editorial on SWLRT - repeat clicks for people fighting in the comments and red meat for their dwindling subscription base.
I bet even their subscription base will lose interest. The first several dozen articles about how Minneapolis is going to the dogs because of bike lanes and new apartments were probably real interesting for suburbanites to read at the breakfast table but eventually they'll stop caring. The perils of chasing clicks.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 2nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

A lot of complaining about a (really bad) opinion piece, but weirdly nobody talking about writing their own piece to the Strib. Make it interesting enough and they just might publish you. ;)

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 2nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

This guy also wrote a shorter, but still bad, commentary on the Hennepin Ave redo: http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... il-member/ (which my wife and I penned an "other opinion" piece to: http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... il-member/). I feel like the Strib could be the ones to actively reach out to any number of people who have written thoughtful posts on streets.mn and ask them to use a post or write something up really quick in support of many of the changes/direction the city is taking regarding zoning, development, transportation, etc. I'm not sure I want to spend a few hours writing something new in hopes that the Strib publishes a non-click-baity piece.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 2nd, 2018, 3:10 pm

Alright, you talked me into it.

Hopefully it'll get published. Otherwise, look for a substantially rewritten version to meet Strib's "exclusivity" requirements on streets at some point.

Multimodal
Union Depot

Postby Multimodal » January 2nd, 2018, 11:00 pm

RailBaronYarr, those are identical links. Did you mean this for the second link?

http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... r-streets/

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 3rd, 2018, 3:03 am

Sacrelicio wrote:
January 2nd, 2018, 12:18 pm
I bet even their subscription base will lose interest. The first several dozen articles about how Minneapolis is going to the dogs because of bike lanes and new apartments were probably real interesting for suburbanites to read at the breakfast table but eventually they'll stop caring. The perils of chasing clicks.
BINGO. When my folks came up to visit for the holidays, they asked me about the significant changes at Lyndale and Franklin. In the course of bringing them up to date, I noted the neighborhood opposition that had initially delayed the Theatre Garage project. Mom was incredulous -- "Don't they realize that a huge, new building full of activity is going to increase their property values?" She and Dad may live in fifth-ring suburbia by choice, but they also know there's a growing demand for urban living -- and that it might as well be the real deal, for those who are actually seeking it.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby Anondson » January 4th, 2018, 9:58 pm

Matt’s response was published.

http://www.startribune.com/urban-densit ... 468086923/

A personal observation about the original commentary that Matt responded to, the complaint that there is far too much traffic, and that they’ve lived there for all those 30 years. This seems a part of a wider trend among people trying to put up zoning moats to keep people out, objecting to worsening traffic. Yet when one does a simple check on traffic levels from 20-30 years back you can see that traffic in their neighborhood’s main arterials has plummeted.

Since the 1990s, Hennepin traffic is down many thousands of vehicles. I noted this to complainers about development around Southdale that driver traffic is down upwards of almost 10,000 cars per day since 2000.

There is an epidemic of claimed-longtimer residents misremembering the traffic of the near-past, one might say it is convenient.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 4th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Good piece, Matt! My only quibble is the statement that six-story buildings are going up because we don't allow missing middle. I don't believe for a second that if we allowed missing middle, we'd have fewer six-story apartments. That argument just doesn't hold water and it's not going to convince anyone skeptical of development and density.

I've tried the opposite argument with the skeptical crowd. Build tall and dense so there's less pressure to build next to your door. That doesn't seem to be very effective either. People dislike change. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok, one more quibble, also pointed out in the comments. It's apples-and-oranges to compare property values in East Calhoun with city-wide averages. Accusing people of being greedy and selfish usually doesn't get one very far. In the minds of the skeptical crowd, they very sincerely believe it's a livability issue, and they're not just using "livability" as a meaningless bludgeon. I would like to have seen a deeper exploration about how people's differing views of "livability" can be reconciled and respected in a mutually-beneficial way.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 4th, 2018, 11:14 pm

I don't think we'd have fewer six story buildings in general, but developers wouldn't be playing the develop-by-variance game to squeeze as many units into the few high density zoned parcels in desirable neighborhoods if there was more of an ability to build outside of one or two major corridors.

There was a roundtable discussion Frey posted on his facebook yesterday, and Peter McLaughlin was a part of it. He described a long process of educating communities on what different densities actually mean, and how to sort of hand hold a reluctant community through changes they don't like. No 300-700 word rebuttal is going to be able to do the level of work required to change minds. I wanted to voice frustration with people who benefit from the way things are dominating the conversation about changes, I didn't necessarily set out to change his mind.

And I didn't want to even touch traffic because there's so much nostalgia fog on that issue you'll never convince anyone hung up on that to change their mind.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 5th, 2018, 9:27 am

All fair points. I believe developers are going to seek variances no matter what. As we all know, our zoning code is in desperate need of updating and modernizing. It's not just re-zoning that we need. Indeed, I think that might actually be harmful in several ways without updating the code itself.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 5th, 2018, 10:14 am

There's another rebuttal to the original piece that was published alongside mine that focuses specifically on the 'zoning is a pact' claim. I'm hoping some meaningful zoning reform is something we'll get out of Frey's tenure.

http://www.startribune.com/urban-densit ... 468086523/

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”