Laguna Apartments - 2900 Irving Ave S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Laguna Apartments - 2900 Irving Ave S

Postby lordmoke » September 11th, 2014, 12:42 pm

CPM is proposing a 6 story, 45 unit apartment building for the southwest corner of Lagoon and Irving Avenue. The site is currently occupied by four houses, and is located behind Barbette.

Plans from the CPC CoW:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 130847.pdf

EDIT: All of the parcels for this project are already owned by Lagoon & Irving LLC.
Last edited by lordmoke on September 11th, 2014, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TommyT
Target Field

Re: Lagoon & Irving

Postby TommyT » September 11th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I really like this size building filling in these spaces. That's one tiny fitness center though!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 11th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Wasn't something like this proposed like 8–10 years ago for this spot?

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » September 11th, 2014, 12:57 pm

This is the site of the approved but condo-busted 'Portico.' The only real loss is the ochre colored stucco house. It has an absolutely marvelous fieldstone fireplace. If it could be moved...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 11th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Wow, that's some impressive infill given they're proposing more parking than is required (some underground) on such a small parcel. But it does pretty much everything right; parking entrance in the alley, 3 walk-up units on the sidewalk, nice windows on the street. I like it. Now, if only Lagoon was just re-done to be a bit more pedestrian friendly...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm

RailBaronYarr wrote:Now, if only Lagoon was just re-done to be a bit more pedestrian friendly...
YES PLEASE!! It's absolutely horrible to walk from Lunds to Hennepin, more so with a stroller because the sidewalks are so damn narrow!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 11th, 2014, 1:35 pm

David Greene wrote:
RailBaronYarr wrote:Now, if only Lagoon was just re-done to be a bit more pedestrian friendly...
YES PLEASE!! It's absolutely horrible to walk from Lunds to Hennepin, more so with a stroller because the sidewalks are so damn narrow!
West toward Calhoun isn't any better. Not only narrow, but constantly obstructed by poles, lamp posts, etc. I think this is my favorite: http://goo.gl/maps/uV6uh. Anyway, I won't co-opt this thread.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 11th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Because I know some of you are wondering, the surface parking lot across the street is owned by the Citadel Building: http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2924340114

There could potentially be a lot of change in this area in the coming years if demand for new apartments and condos stays strong. There have been proposals floated for both the SW and NW corners of Lake & James (and I believe we have dormant threads for each site). The SW corner would involve the loss of four existing structures, all of which are owned by a single individual. That one would likely be pretty controversial. A development on the NW corner is more likely, provided that it doesn't run into the same groundwater issues as 1800 Lake. Speaking of which, we ought to be hearing something about that soon, as I believe the city has moved to stop the pumping. What that means for the building, I have no idea.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2014, 4:26 pm

twincitizen wrote:Because I know some of you are wondering, the surface parking lot across the street is owned by the Citadel Building: http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2924340114
There could potentially be a lot of change in this area in the coming years if demand for new apartments and condos stays strong
I agree. The supply of vacant lots has shrunk dramatically in Uptown (in general) over the last few years. I think will see much more of the underutilized or deteriorating properties in the area being torn down to give way for more high density projects in the future. It's almost inevitable.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: CPM Lagoon & Irving Development (SW corner)

Postby Nick » September 11th, 2014, 5:07 pm

I don't s'ppose it will legally impact their application, but I would imagine that this same developer's, ah, issue, down the street will probably come up.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 12th, 2014, 7:44 am

Did anyone else have trouble opening the link? Mine said "Gateway Error".

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » September 14th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Since folks asked, yes, there was another project proposed here years ago. A summary of the project from OurUptown's second incarnation (now on its third incarnation that's in hiatus) is listed below. I have a rendering but the Boar'd attachment quota has been reached. If someone wants it, you can contact me and I'll email it.

The Portico
Type: Condos | Status: Dead | Area: Uptown
1609-1611 Lagoon Avenue; 2910 Irving Avenue
Developer: Hornig Companies

PROJECT DETAILS
Architect: Miller Hanson Partners (Roger Howley)
Previous Project Name: Irving Lagoon Condos
Current Use: Low-density Residential
Proposed Use: Multi-Family Residential
Proposed Height: 74' (6-stories)
Approved Height: 69' (6-stories)
Proposed Parking: 45
Housing Units/Type: 30 / Condo

PROJECT DESCRIPTION
At the corner of Irving Avenue and Lagoon Avenue, The Portico building was hoping to rise. Uptown rental property expert, Hornig Companies, planned to replace several aging rental properties with a 30-unit condo building within two short blocks of Lake Calhoun. Marketing materials boast of its timeless design and LEED ("Green") Registration. The project was scheduled to open in fall of 2007, meaning that construction would have needed to start in late 2006. The project was put "on hold" in late summer of 2007 after a slow sales process and a diminishing condo market. The developer owns the land and said perhaps they will revisit the project in the future.

ARTICLES
"The Portico Condos Ready Uptown Construction Start." Minnesota Real Estate Journal 11 Aug. 2006.
Gilyard, Burl. "The Portico Coming to Uptown." Finance and Commerce 10 Aug. 2006.
Pratt, Anna. "Lagoon-Irving Condos Approved, Along with Many Variances." Southwest Journal 16 Dec. 2005.
Jacobson, Don. "Mpls. Condos Fall Victim to Uptown Height Controversy." Minnesota Real Estate Journal 9 Dec. 2005.
Pratt, Anna. "Six-Story Upscale Condo Project Planned at Lagoon and Irving." Southwest Journal 7 Nov. 2005.
Rubenstein, Aaron. "Development and Business Update." Uptown Neighborhood News Nov. 2005
Updated January 13, 2008

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » September 14th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 14th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Well I'm pretty glad this didn't happen seeming it would not fit in Uptown at all now. It would work much better closer to Dale St. and the Calhoun Beach Club

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 15th, 2014, 12:03 am

grant1simons2 wrote:Well I'm pretty glad this didn't happen seeming it would not fit in Uptown at all now. It would work much better closer to Dale St. and the Calhoun Beach Club
Agree with you in principle, however, from the rendering it appears the new CPM proposal will look more flimsy and cheap with lots of concrete board or synthetic stucco etc used on the exterior. At least the Portico had a feeling of being substantial with lots of high quality brick and architectural details.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 15th, 2014, 12:08 am

Where is the rendering of the new CPM? All I've seen is the sketch and the B&W elevation views

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » September 15th, 2014, 3:35 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:Well I'm pretty glad this didn't happen seeming it would not fit in Uptown at all now. It would work much better closer to Dale St. and the Calhoun Beach Club
Not fit? The beach club is a block away. The identity that uptown has is urban.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 15th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Beach club is not a block away from Irving and the architecture changes dramatically as you head west. Just look at the Moziac and the new Walker library and all the new apartment going up. As well at the 3 story building coming up on the other side of this block.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 15th, 2014, 3:44 pm

To each their own, but I happen to like the different styles of architecture intermingled within each other. I think the above rendering is a beautiful building and would have fit nicely into that spot.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 15th, 2014, 6:39 pm

The Beach Club has to be at least a 1/4 of a mile away from this site. But I do agree that the Portico would have been a very handsome building on that site. I did like that it was mostly brick on the exterior. But then again it was a condo building and not apartments.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”