Longfellow Station - (3801 Hiawatha Avenue)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Longfellow Station

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 8:10 pm

It's hard to get a good shot of this...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » December 10th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Over the weekend I was told by a upper Management City staff person that Trader Joes is close to signing a lease for part of the retail portion of this development.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 10th, 2012, 6:03 pm

There's a new liquor store at 41st and Hiawatha. Would tj's wine shop have adequate spacing?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 10th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Without knowing exactly where at 41st and Hiawatha it is, and without knowing exactly where on the Longfellow site the Trader Joe's bottle shop would sit, I'd wager that it does. Although probably not by much. Regular north-south blocks are 660', and obviously the blocks along the diagonal are going to be somewhat longer than that.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 10th, 2012, 7:29 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Got stuck on traffic this evening on 55. First floor is up, beginning the wooden second floor on the south end. It certainly is hard to the tracks!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 10th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Over the weekend I was told by a upper Management City staff person that Trader Joes is close to signing a lease for part of the retail portion of this development.
Seems odd for several reasons, and I'll be holding my breath. First, while it is a great location with very high-visibility (both from LRT and 55), it's not exactly a typical Trader Joe's market. I'm sure Sherman would love to only have one permanent tenant here rather than trying to lure a bunch of different ones and deal with restaurant leases turning over.

Mostly though, I question the size of the space: it's only 10,000 sq. ft. total according to Sherman's website. From a quick Google search, most new TJ's are closer to 14k, not including the liquor portion. The proposed/cancelled Lyndale location was around 14k, not including the wine shop. The one going up in Shoreview is ~14k.

Trader Joe's would be a huge "get" for this development, for this neighborhood, for LRT riders, etc. However, I will remain skeptical until I hear something official.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » December 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Seems odd for several reasons, and I'll be holding my breath. First, while it is a great location with very high-visibility (both from LRT and 55), it's not exactly a typical Trader Joe's market. I'm sure Sherman would love to only have one permanent tenant here rather than trying to lure a bunch of different ones and deal with restaurant leases turning over.

Mostly though, I question the size of the space: it's only 10,000 sq. ft. total according to Sherman's website. From a quick Google search, most new TJ's are closer to 14k, not including the liquor portion. The proposed/cancelled Lyndale location was around 14k, not including the wine shop. The one going up in Shoreview is ~14k.

Trader Joe's would be a huge "get" for this development, for this neighborhood, for LRT riders, etc. However, I will remain skeptical until I hear something official.
I am a little skeptical also but the person who told me this info is someone I know very well and I trust to have the correct info, it's their job within the city of Mpls to know.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 10th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I am a little skeptical also but the person who told me this info is someone I know very well and I trust to have the correct info, it's their job within the city of Mpls to know.
General tip regarding tips: Tips are great but even if your tip is questioned, you may wanna not elaborate too much for the tipper's sake.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 11th, 2012, 11:07 am

Question in regards to the space. Say a development like this is going in, everything is all approved and construction has started, could they/would they be able to make additional retail space if a tenant like this came up? Would they have to get additional approval from the city, would it be worth it?

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » January 3rd, 2013, 5:15 pm

Question in regards to the space. Say a development like this is going in, everything is all approved and construction has started, could they/would they be able to make additional retail space if a tenant like this came up? Would they have to get additional approval from the city, would it be worth it?
I was wondering this too

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Longfellow Station - (3801 Hiawatha Avenue)

Postby Nick » February 3rd, 2013, 5:31 pm

Finally starting to get something to take a picture of here.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm

This makes it sound like the retail portion hasn't even been started yet:

Sherman Associates’ 180-unit apartment building at 3815 Hiawatha Ave., east of the 38th Street station. Project Manager Paul Keenan said the apartments are scheduled to open in November. Sherman is still looking for commercial tenants and to secure financing before beginning work on a separate, $1.2 million, 10,000-square-foot commercial space that would be built north of the apartments. Keenan said the goal is to finish that project by March 2014.

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2013/02/mul ... watha-lrt/

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm

Yes, the retail building hasn't been started yet. It was stated in an earlier post that the retail building wouldn't be started until spring and completed in December. It looks like that has been pushed back a few months. Right now the south side of the apartment building is topped out at 5 stories, they're working their way north.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 10th, 2013, 10:24 am

Looking pretty massive today: http://d.pr/i/JTFF

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 10th, 2013, 11:26 am

I can't believe that's only 200 units, or that there will possibly be 2,000 units if/when all phases are built!

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » April 14th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Are there really still 2,000 units proposed for this site? I think I remember the original mega proposal being somewhere in the 8-11 story range. With this shorter building, I would be surprised if they are still trying to do 2,000 units.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » April 15th, 2013, 9:46 am

"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 15th, 2013, 10:34 am

The original proposal contained additional parcels north of 38th that are still likely to be developed in the future, if not by the original developer.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » April 15th, 2013, 10:51 am

Aren't the grain silos north of 38th still in operation though?