Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Re: Mozaic

Postby thatchio » August 15th, 2012, 10:00 pm

or does Mozaic qualify as a "boutique office building"?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 15th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Yes, and it's "leed certified" with an insipid chain "beercentric" restaurant on the first floor that will serve "craft beer" and "animate" the street level.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 15th, 2012, 11:14 pm

More dated- Martini focused.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 15th, 2012, 11:48 pm

It's hard to imagine that plaza between the two Mozaic buildings - I think that it might not be very safe. Not a big space and kind of off the pedestrian paths. The original designs were all glass and I think would have felt more inviting and animated. I had heard that the second phase would take down the Lagoon Theater and build a new more up to date theater. There is no question that we expect better theater seating and sight lines now with all the new theaters out there. Anybody heard anything about this potential plan?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 16th, 2012, 7:29 am

sigh....or that tiresome "craft beer"
How dare you -- I love craft beer!! And if I were DRINKING some right now, I would have said "Hov drrrr yu ------- I Lobe Crap bere!!" -- because it's THAT strong and tasty!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 16th, 2012, 7:33 am

It's hard to imagine that plaza between the two Mozaic buildings - I think that it might not be very safe. Not a big space and kind of off the pedestrian paths. The original designs were all glass and I think would have felt more inviting and animated. I had heard that the second phase would take down the Lagoon Theater and build a new more up to date theater. There is no question that we expect better theater seating and sight lines now with all the new theaters out there. Anybody heard anything about this potential plan?
I'm sure thatchio might have...
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on August 16th, 2012, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 16th, 2012, 7:34 am

Yes, and it's "leed certified" with an insipid chain "beercentric" restaurant on the first floor that will serve "craft beer" and "animate" the street level.
Mmmyessss.... :ugeek:

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 16th, 2012, 8:20 am

I feel like that's a pretty high traffic area. I can't really imagine a plaza making the area less safe than it is now.

Anybody know more about the Lagoon? While upgrades to the theater would be nice, it's hard to imagine a huge investment without turning it into a more profitable "multiplex" focusing on Twilight and Batman rather than independent movies. Although I guess that would be fitting for what Uptown has become now.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 16th, 2012, 8:35 am

I've always felt like the lagoon is SO cool and stylized it should go straight into the preservation books. New seats, and concessions maybe, but the decor and lighting are SO awesome. It's like a mini time warp.

I also think with the Citywalk and flux having so many residents, this 'Girard Meander' is going to be pretty busy.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 16th, 2012, 11:03 am

Is this a subsidy, the answer is yes, as the project would not have happened without financing for the parking infrastructure. But is it a give-away to the project, I would argue no, as it is a loan with market-rate interest.
Most definitions of subsidy specify that the funds are granted or unrecoverable, so the Recovery Bonds would not fall under most definitions of subsidy. Certainly there are people who consider any governmental disbursement a subsidy, but you're never going to make them happy anyway.

Thanks for the straight dope on MoZaic with a Z.
"Who rescued whom!"

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » August 16th, 2012, 9:54 pm

The Lagoon Theater was at one point a part of the east side of the site but was not a part of the 2008 or 2010 plans. It was a part of the 2005-2007 plans.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 16th, 2012, 11:36 pm

Building a new Lagoon Theater incorporated with phase two of Mozaic is a great idea . It would give the lower level of the complex a better use than just ho-hum office space (or another unnecessary chain restaurant). It would be nice to see lots of lighting and transparent windows facing both the plaza and Lagoon. I have no idea whether or not a new theater is in the works for phase two. However, Ackerberg clearly needs to do a much better (urban oriented )design this time around so it doesn't turn out to be called: "Eden Prairie phase two".

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » September 12th, 2012, 1:00 pm

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 12th, 2012, 1:09 pm

YES!!!! :P

I'll bust out my best slim-fit floral pattern dress shirt (untucked, of course) with skin-tight jeans and strut my way over there for the opener! Does anyone have room in their Vespa for carpooling?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 12th, 2012, 3:12 pm

YES!!!! :P

I'll bust out my best slim-fit floral pattern dress shirt (untucked, of course) with skin-tight jeans and strut my way over there for the opener! Does anyone have room in their Vespa for carpooling?
Didn't you hear, there is PLENTY of 'parking in rear'

I actually walked through the plaza the other day and what they've done is really awesome. Definitely cool and trendy, we'll see how it holds up!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 7th, 2012, 4:53 pm

I notice today that Mono has now moved into Mosaic. I saw a permit for reconfiguring the space that they had just left posted on their old door at the Mager/Quinn building.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » November 16th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Apparently Mozaic is now 80% leased, so they're starting on plans for phase 2. According to the article they're talking to architects right now, so it'll be a few months before we see any renderings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... ffice.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 17th, 2012, 1:15 am

Super cool, and a wonderful opportunity to create THE building icon of Uptown......again!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 17th, 2012, 12:18 pm

From an aesthetic viewpoint, I think the second phase will be more succesful than phase one. For one thing, they will not have to build another above ground parking ramp. And filling the adjacent vacant parcel will make the project look more unified and complete. It would be great if they incorporated The Lagoon Theater into the plan and created a more interesting facade for the theater along Lagoon Ave.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 17th, 2012, 12:54 pm

I am very excite!