Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
WillB
Block E

Re: Mozaic

Postby WillB » June 12th, 2013, 8:21 am

The Ackerberg group is presenting a concept for Mosaic Phase II to the LHENA Zoning and Planning Committee tonight at 6:30. The meeting is at the Neighborhood Involvement Program (N.I.P.) building, in the third floor conference room.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 12th, 2013, 8:28 am

The Ackerberg group is presenting a concept for Mosaic Phase II to the LHENA Zoning and Planning Committee tonight at 6:30. The meeting is at the Neighborhood Involvement Program (N.I.P.) building, in the third floor conference room.
Ooh, I didn't know about this. Thanks! I'll probably go check it out and report back here.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 12th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Just got back from the LHENA Z&P meeting. I had to exit a bit early because the baby got fussy.

Some highlights:

- 100,000 - 150,000 sq. ft. office space
- No hotel
- Hoping to begin construction next year

The design is basically three separate buildings oriented E-W with atriums between them. Tons of glass and some steel panels on the ends that will develop a patina over time.

The buildings start at 3-4 stories nearest the greenway, then step back to six stories and eight stories. Overall it's pretty airy and whimsical. I like it a lot!

Stuart Ackerman noted that the current parking ramp abomination is not nearly as utilized as they thought it would be. Apparently siting an office building with direct access to the Greenway encourages people to bike to work. Who'da thunk?

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » June 12th, 2013, 7:50 pm

So does that mean they will utilize more of the building for office use instead of parking since they can use the current ramp as well to limit the number of floors designated for parking in the second phase development?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 12th, 2013, 7:58 pm

I would think......I'm very surprised they are not including a hotel element. Not only is the hotel market really heating up nationwide and citywide but Uptown is in desperate need of a moderately large hotel (I know I would stay there if given the option!).

Good news about the 2nd phase though! I like that they are proposing multiple smaller buildings instead of a 2nd hulking mass, which I'm betting really rubbed a lot of its neighbors the wrong way in Phase I.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 12th, 2013, 8:17 pm

They may add a level or two of underground parking but that would be in addition to requirements. The currend parking ramp covers the needs of phase 2.

There were several comments that this design is much better than phase 1. People made a point to say they're glad it looks so different. I got the sense that the Ackerberg folks know they screwed up phase 1. Overall, the LHENA committee was very positive.

The Lagoon is *not* part of this project. Landmark wants to stay in the existing building. There was some talk about renovating that building but it all seemed pretty speculative to me.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 12th, 2013, 11:11 pm

It's too bad they can't add floors to the Lagoon. Well I'm guessing they can't anyway.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 12th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Sounds promising with aesthetics that fit better with the character of Uptown. Look forward to the renderings. Is there going to be any retail on the street level?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 13th, 2013, 6:54 am

nothing like developer seconding guessing their ugly building. uptown deserved better. we only have to look at the concrete lump for 50 years.
yes..anything will be an improvement over phase 1. i appreciate the developers investment and bringing more office to uptown but it's an aesthetic fail.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 13th, 2013, 8:41 am

Sounds promising with aesthetics that fit better with the character of Uptown. Look forward to the renderings. Is there going to be any retail on the street level?
Yes, first floor retail. With the atriums it's not unlike a modern version of Ann Arbor's Nickels Arcade. http://arborwiki.org/Nickels_Arcade

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 13th, 2013, 8:42 am

Can we lay off the lagoon? It's a fantastically stylized theater, and 30 years from now I want to walk in there, with all of it's original glory and feel the same way I feel when I walk into The Riverview, with all of its retro glory. :)

3 very skinny buildings? I can't wait to see the renderings, it seems like a small site...

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » June 13th, 2013, 8:50 am

Sounds promising and I second the opinion that the building massing in the second phase should be smaller than the behemoth first. Also, so many of the developments in Uptown now are so large (1/2 block at least) it's nice for some variety.

On the hotel side, I think that a smaller boutique hotel would be great in the area, and I would be surprised if those hotel companies aren't monitoring the area already. Cool option would be something like what they are set to build in Columbus, OH in the Short North area- which is a similar feel to Uptown:

Edit:removed attached photo of hotel approved in Columbus. Don't want to derail the thread. I will post in a hotel thread

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 13th, 2013, 9:46 am

nothing like developer seconding guessing their ugly building. uptown deserved better. we only have to look at the concrete lump for 50 years.
yes..anything will be an improvement over phase 1. i appreciate the developers investment and bringing more office to uptown but it's an aesthetic fail.
Agree. Phase one is really a freeway suburban office building plopped into the center of Uptown. The good news is I think phase two will distract and soften its impact so it won't look nearly as bad. The nearby Walkway project will also help and gives the "lump" ( :) ) some taller company so it doesn't stand out so much. As far as the comments about a hotel in Uptown...it's way overdue!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 13th, 2013, 8:40 pm

I definitely agree Phase I could have been a lot better.. BUT.. it doesn't see the street (Williams/Uptown Tavern face the street), they tried a little to soften the parking element with the greenery, and from a distance 50% of what you see is the offices above the parking. I'm not trying to say it's great design, I mostly agree with the comments here, just pointing out that it technically could be worse (like Gateway Ramp bad). Hopefully Phase II helps hide I from the east. Interested to see the renderings.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 19th, 2013, 7:57 am

Design details, via Uptown Neighborhood News- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hQyR8 ... psNTg/edit
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 19th, 2013, 8:38 am

i agree i don't mind the building the way it meets the sky. you can see just above the tree level from calhoun and isles. it's become a marking point on the horizon. and the developer has done so much for uptown and the north side. no qualms there.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » June 19th, 2013, 8:56 am

After reading the vague design points- 3 buildings going E-W. Northernmost building 3 stories, middle is 6 and southernmost building 8 stories.

I hope it's not just 3 flat-sided rectangles. Especially from the south looking north, all you would see would be the broad side of an 8 story office building. I'll be interested to see the actual elevations.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 19th, 2013, 2:12 pm

David Greene described it as "airy and whimsical" from the LHENA meeting, so I'd doubt it's a rectangle?

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » June 19th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I'm pretty optimistic on good design coming from Perkins & Will.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 19th, 2013, 6:51 pm

I'm pretty optimistic on good design coming from Perkins & Will.
Ackerberg is listening to community input and the architects are presenting an exciting design concept that will work well with the area in terms of scale, character, and visual beauty. They are willing to spend some money to make a quality and enduring project ( which actually makes the property maintain good long term value). A win win for everyone. This is exactly the right attitude for developers to have. If only this was done more often , there wouldn't be nearly the Nimbyism and neighborhood hostility you see frequently in this town.