Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Mozaic

Postby David Greene » October 16th, 2013, 11:36 am

That coffee shop placement is brilliant. I'll stop by during my morning commute. Now if we could just get cupholders on the Nice Ride bikes...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 16th, 2013, 11:48 am

Hard to believe this area needs another coffee shop... but it probably actually does. The closest one I can think of is Dogwood in Calhoun Square, and that's certainly far enough away by Uptown coffee shop spacing standards. Plan B up the street has closed. I hope Uncommon Grounds (Hennepin & 28th) sticks around...definitely a different vibe there with the plentiful couches and expansive outdoor patio. The other nearest shops are west on Lake: Caribou in Lunds and Dunn Bros. Having one in the heart of the Mozaic development and accessible to Uptown Transit Station actually makes a lot of sense.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 17th, 2013, 6:40 am

i love this mozaic east plan. i love the design. developer & architects are delivering quality and urbane style here. not surprised as perkins will is wonderful design firm. this will blunt and soften the mozaic parking/office building to the west.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 17th, 2013, 7:21 am

i love this mozaic east plan. i love the design. developer & architects are delivering quality and urbane style here. not surprised as perkins will is wonderful design firm. this will blunt and soften the mozaic parking/office building to the west.
Now let's cross our fingers and pray that they don't pull a "Be the Match" and redesign this art piece into an 8 story suburban block of dull!

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » October 17th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I'm afraid this is going to look awfully dated in a hurry. But at least it will match the new Walker Library's top-heavy design.... so that's a plus, right?
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 17th, 2013, 11:35 pm

Don't worry, the Walkway will steal the show for the most poorly executed trendy design in Uptown.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 18th, 2013, 7:13 am

Those are two of the more interesting and highly acclaimed projects going on in Uptown, guys! If you want to knock architecture, let's talk about Track 29.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 8:01 am

I'll put my two cents in that the phase 2 or 3 depending on your count. will be an iconic building in Uptown. IF they use quality materials it will age quite well. It will also be one of those building that a majority of the public will know by sight and name after it is completed. IT will be a landmark on the greenway.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2013, 9:15 am

I'm afraid this is going to look awfully dated in a hurry. But at least it will match the new Walker Library's top-heavy design.... so that's a plus, right?
Modern Architecture has only existed since the early 19th century, so it hasn't had that much time to stop being "dated" like more traditional types of architecture. But you can bet that all sorts of historic architecture once felt "dated" to people 20-50 years after construction, then after that people tend to think it's timeless again... just style cycles. I mean check out the awful "update" that happened to the Plymouth building because all of the detailed ornate ceramic scrolling and such were "dated." Most well designed buildings, like this, that are SO dramatic and enigmatic of their time tend to be lasting and unique structures as long as they stand. It's the half assed attempts that become dated quickly. IMO (Soap Box) I'm just excited for some good unique structures to be going into a unique part of town.

http://www.lileks.com/mpls/plymouth/2.html Look through there, see what it used to look like and then check out what happened to it when it wasn't "in fashion" anymore. Sad day for that building.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 18th, 2013, 10:33 am

how is this going to look "dated" exactly? mozaic and the new walker library are quality designs by top notch architects.

that walker libary already commands that corner. this mozaic east building will meld perfectly into it's site. these projects are among the best new buidlings uptown has seen in years.

i guess if you like fake historical accents or find the stacked concerte of mozaic phase 1 alluring. let's let these buildings add to the streetscape and life of uptown and then judge.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » October 18th, 2013, 3:18 pm

My initial reaction was that it looked like it was trying really hard / kind of awkward, but on second glance, you guys are right. I looked at your comments, and then looked at more renderings, and you're right. I take back what I said about the design. I like it. I was wrong.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 18th, 2013, 3:23 pm

ONE OF US.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 18th, 2013, 4:20 pm

:!: Has this been approved? Why aren't they digging yet? :!:
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Don't worry, the Walkway will steal the show for the most poorly executed trendy design in Uptown.
No, I would say the BKV designed Lake and Knox apartment project steals that show. The Walkway is much better.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2013, 11:33 pm

You will hardly notice the phase one and two parking ramp and tower anymore from the east. :D

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » October 21st, 2013, 8:25 pm

I like nearly everything about this project, and the proposed materials remind me a bit of the new MacPhail building. One slight quibble: the amount of glass on the east and west faces of the building is minimal on most floors. A few window openings per floor wouldn't ruin the general effect of the warm metal siding / blue glass design, and would have the benefit of making the corner offices feel more like corner offices with the 270 +/- degree views. The window openings could vary in size if the goal was to avoid a monotonous row of rectangles that didn't fit the playful composition of the facades. My two cents...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 22nd, 2013, 8:40 am

If you're trying to design a highly sustainable building, a lot of east and (especially) west windows are a no-no. The low angle of the sun from those directions makes it very difficult to manage solar glare and unwanted heat gain.

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » October 22nd, 2013, 9:02 pm

That's a good point. Seems like that effect could be mitigated though if the window openings are desk height to head height, rather than floor-to-ceiling as on the North and South faces. Also, the Phase I building to the west would provide some shade when the sun is at its lowest (on most floors anyway).

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 24th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 27th, 2013, 12:09 pm

The latest site plans: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 117543.pdf

I am loving the bike/ped lanes between the building and the bus lane. Much needed improvement. Now cyclists can easily slide over to Fremont after coming up the ramp from the Greenway. Currently it is really unclear where to go once you get to the top of that bridge (it doesn't connect to anything and riding south through the plaza was frowned upon / dangerous for peds)