Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Re: Hiawatha Avenue Grain Elevators & Freight Rail Corridor

Postby minneboom » July 13th, 2016, 7:56 pm

It is really too bad that they cannot think of a better solution for this property. Yes it is a difficult site, but try and get creative. Icehouse/Vertical Endeavors was renovated from a brick structure that formerly stored blocks of ice from Cedar Lake. The Mill City Museum and offices came from the adaptive reuse of a mill building. Build something for the community that everyone can be proud of. Storage? Really?

BigIdeasGuy
Landmark Center

Postby BigIdeasGuy » July 17th, 2016, 10:06 am

minneboom wrote:It is really too bad that they cannot think of a better solution for this property. Yes it is a difficult site, but try and get creative. Icehouse/Vertical Endeavors was renovated from a brick structure that formerly stored blocks of ice from Cedar Lake. The Mill City Museum and offices came from the adaptive reuse of a mill building. Build something for the community that everyone can be proud of. Storage? Really?
There is a massive difference in Mill City Museum and grain silos. The museum is like an actual building with floors and windows and things that allowed humans to use the building. Grain silos have none of that. They are literally just a circle of reinforced concrete that goes up with a system to put grain in at the top and take it out at the bottom. That's it. No floors, no windows, nothing. That's why reusing grain silos and elevators in general is so difficult. They were designed to accomplish one task and they accomplished that task very very well.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » July 19th, 2016, 10:07 pm

There was another article today that gave a little more information about the rezoning process. The article points out all the other developments that are happening around this site, and there is also the Snelling Yards site coming up soon. If this site becomes housing or "indoor recreation like a climbing wall, a coffee shop or microbrewery", it would be a great addition to this corridor.

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/07/min ... -near-lrt/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 20th, 2016, 8:55 am

Still hard to see how we wouldn't be better off tearing down the silos and building something useful from scratch.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 20th, 2016, 9:08 am

It seems everyone agrees that would be better, but the barrier is the expense to tear down the structure.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby cooperrez » April 19th, 2017, 8:26 am

Noticed Taylor's Star 1 Automotive looked closed and empty this morning. Minneapolis PropertyInfo page shows property was sold on March 3 of this year. The selling price is listed at 1,750,000.00, I think that includes the automotive shop on the corner and the warehouse/office building to the south. This spot along with the Bell Industries building (for sale sign has been there a while) just north of Walgreens seem like prime spots for more development.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby kiliff75 » April 19th, 2017, 8:44 am

Interesting, that stretch of Hiawatha between 38th and Minnehaha Parkway is slowly filling up with apartment buildings...I wonder if this will continue that trend.

twincitizen

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby twincitizen » April 19th, 2017, 9:05 am

The "Wash Me" self car wash (across 42nd from Star 1 Automotive) would be a good development site too, and wouldn't require any assembly with other sites. At .57 acre (minus unfortunate overhead powerline easements), it's large enough to develop on its own. Vehicle access would be a challenge, as the entire site would be restricted to a right-in, right-out driveway on 42nd St (and presumably no access to Hiawatha, as is today)

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 19th, 2017, 9:54 pm

U-Haul is proposing a self storage and truck rentals at this site. Personally, I am disappointed with this proposal so far. The small area plan calls for the reduction of drive-thrus and other auto-oriented building types and this area is already full of self storage units. The small area plan encourages mixed use development, and specifically retail and offices/convertible space at this site. This site has the opportunity to be a great asset between two light rail stations. It is also directly adjacent to an eventual greenway along the rail corridor, and next to the River Lake Greenway on 42nd Street.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 20th, 2017, 6:21 am

Even though I live right by this site and would see it all the time, I'd support it if it meant UHaul would sell their Nicollet & 36th location for development. #greatergood

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 20th, 2017, 9:46 am

This is terrible.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 20th, 2017, 9:57 am

Here's definitely a case where I would like to argue against maintaining the character of the neighborhood. They made sure to get the freight cars in their rendering. This is not something that would go nicely with the Min Hi Line plans along this waning rail corridor.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 20th, 2017, 11:30 am

If projects like the U-Haul proposal are the best we can do along here and the railroad is eventually turned into a greenway, a nice compromise would be something like this along the greenway side of these storage buildings:

https://www.google.com/search?q=urban+g ... 00&bih=815

In fact, this type of wall would be cool to see on residential buildings along greenways and any other places too. Of course our climate won't allow for the full experience, but I think we could adjust for that. Also, murals should be required.

John21
Landmark Center

Postby John21 » April 20th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Ethiopian restaurant opening at 3915 Hiawatha.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... south.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 21st, 2017, 9:36 am

From the U-Haul project staff report:
The site is zoned I1, Light Industrial District and is located in the IL Industrial Living Overlay District. In the I1 zoning district, self-storage is a permitted use while truck rental requires a conditional use permit.

The maximum height limitation in the I1 zoning district is 4 stories/56 feet. The height of the proposed building is 5 stories/65 feet. A conditional use permit to increase the height of the building will be required.

The minimum parking requirement is 36 spaces. The applicant is proposing to vary the minimum parking requirement to 32 spaces. The minimum loading requirement is 3 large spaces (12 feet by 50 feet). The applicant is proposing to vary the minimum loading requirement to zero spaces. As shown, some of the signs on the building are over 28 feet in height, which is the maximum sign height in the I1 zoning district. A variance for sign height will be required.
Remember, a conditional use permit effectively means "allowed, with conditions" and is not the same thing as a variance, which the city can justifiably deny for many reasons (chief among them being, "Is this variance truly necessary?")

The only variance that I think the city would have just cause to deny would be the sign variance and I doubt any of you really care about that. Otherwise it seems this could pretty much go forward as is. Given that, I'd rather they were building a new office/showroom building at the corner instead of remodeling the crappy auto repair building, but the city cannot compel them to do that.

Like I said above, the most positive outcome of this development would be the closing of the Nicollet & 36th UHaul site. I'm not too sure it will though, given how well that location does (basically being the only moving truck rental place in the densest parts of the city). It could be totally separate franchisees and this one has nothing to do with the other. At the very least, I think it's worth asking the question.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2017, 10:03 am

This whole area really needs to changed to transitional industrial in the comp plan so there's some guidance for housing along this corridor instead of more of these industrial uses.

At least it's a multi-story building, that seems promising considering the other single store storage buildings along here..

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 21st, 2017, 10:09 am

FISHMANPET wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 10:03 am
This whole area really needs to changed to transitional industrial in the comp plan so there's some guidance for housing along this corridor instead of more of these industrial uses.
Yes, this. We should be phasing out these uses here, not adding to them.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 21st, 2017, 10:19 am

I don't love this building on this site, but it's pretty clear that they're responding to a real market demand to have storage in relatively close proximity to where people live. Especially in a part of town with increasing wealth but a paucity of 3 car garages for people to store their junk in.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm

I'll just further add that in the grand scheme of "development along the Blue Line", 42nd Street and on the wrong side of Hiawatha (this site) is about as far from a station platform as you can get. This site just isn't that accessible to the Blue Line, with a walk time over 10 minutes. I'm not saying we have to settle for bad/underwhelming development, but I am saying that this isn't an ideal site for dense housing development. Also, why the rush to kick out all industrial uses from this corridor? What's that about? That stuff has to go somewhere, and the Hiawatha corridor (outside of station areas and especially on the east side of the highway) is a seemingly ideal place for it.

If I'm calling the shots, I'd keep much of the Hiawatha-Minnehaha-freight corridor zoned for light industrial use long term, and instead upzone large swaths of existing R1A neighborhoods on the west side of Hiawatha. The "industrial living" zoning overlay is in place, so residential uses are certainly welcome to join the mix, should a property owner be so inclined.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » April 21st, 2017, 1:01 pm

twincitizen wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm
Also, why the rush to kick out all industrial uses from this corridor? What's that about? That stuff has to go somewhere, and the Hiawatha corridor (outside of station areas and especially on the east side of the highway) is a seemingly ideal place for it.

If I'm calling the shots, I'd keep much of the Hiawatha-Minnehaha-freight corridor zoned for light industrial use long term, and instead upzone large swaths of existing R1A neighborhoods on the west side of Hiawatha.
Here here. Why so hasty? This are should be a multi-zoned corridor where people both work and live.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”