Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Avenue Development & Grain Elevators/Freight Corridor

Postby acs » April 21st, 2017, 1:04 pm

twincitizen wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 12:41 pm
I'll just further add that in the grand scheme of "development along the Blue Line", 42nd Street and on the wrong side of Hiawatha (this site) is about as far from a station platform as you can get. This site just isn't that accessible to the Blue Line, with a walk time >10 minutes. I'm not saying we have to settle for bad/underwhelming development, but I am saying that this isn't an ideal site for dense housing development. Also, why the rush to kick out all industrial uses from this corridor? What's that about? That stuff has to go somewhere, and the Hiawatha corridor (outside of station areas and especially on the east side of the highway) is a seemingly ideal place for it.

If I'm calling the shots, I'd keep much of the Hiawatha-Minnehaha-freight corridor zoned for light industrial use long term, and instead upzone large swaths of existing R1A neighborhoods on the west side of Hiawatha.
First time I've agreed with you in a while.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2017, 1:20 pm

No rush, but applying the "Industrial Overlay" district to the entire portion of industrial land east of Hiawatha would open up a lot of options without necessarily limiting industrial development.

My overall point is that a lot of this land is still guided for industrial development in the comp plan. The comp plan is an aspirational document designating a desired future state, not a prescriptive document mandating a specific current state.

This development is fine. It's multi-story and I think could provide a valuable service to the neighborhood, especially if apartments start creeping south from 38th st and north from 46th. But none of that is really in the comp plain, and that's what I'm talking about.

Edit: hey, I was looking at the wrong map, the corridor east of Hiawatha is already designated "Transitional Industrial" in the current comp plan, there's just been no push to look closely and rezone this. So actually this is totally fine.
Transitional Industrial (TI)—Industrial areas located outside of Industrial
Employment Districts will be labeled “transitional” since they may
eventually evolve to other uses compatible with surrounding development.
Although they may remain industrial for some time, they will not have the
same level of policy protection as areas within industrial districts.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 21st, 2017, 5:04 pm

For a conditional use and variance to be approved the planning commission needs to find that this development is in keeping and consistent with the comprehensive plan, and the small area plans are amendments to the comprehensive plan. The 46th and Hiawatha Station Area Plan calls for offices and retail at this site, so this development is not in keeping with that. It also identifies the prevalence of drive thrus and auto oriented land uses as a major obstacle to development. Additinally, it encourages a mixture of pedestrian-friendly neighborhood-serving retail opportunities that support market rate housing options, fulfill neighborhood and trade area needs, and establish a complete transit-oriented neighborhood center. This development is missing on a lot of levels.

The "condition" should be that they provide some other sort of additional land use on this site, affordable housing, retail, offices, etc. Using this prime site entirely for truck rental and cold storage is not the best use for the community.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » April 22nd, 2017, 9:12 am

Problem with industrial zoning districts that permit housing within them is that industrial is a low paying land use. Once other uses think they can be successful in that zoning district, there will be upward pressure on land value and rents and they'll be pushed out. It may be a fine zoning district when you're phasing out industrial uses, but it may not be the best district to keep a mixed-use, including industrial, district.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 24th, 2017, 5:49 pm

For anyone following the proposed U-Haul development, they are going to the committee of the whole this week. There is more information about the project at the link below. Again, they are asking for conditional use permits which require that the planning commission find that the development is in keeping with the 46th and Hiawatha Station Area Plan.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 197727.pdf

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » May 19th, 2017, 10:42 pm

The Longfellow Community Council is hosting an input session for the U-Haul development at 42nd Street and Hiawatha Ave on June 19th from 6:30-8pm. There are more details at the Facebook event below.

https://www.facebook.com/events/276224242786806??ti=ia

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » May 25th, 2017, 10:10 pm

There is an nice property for sale at 4525 Hiawatha Avenue in the TOD district around the 46th St Station. The small area plan suggests a residential and mixed use development at this site. With the Oppidan grocery story development and Snelling Yards, a development at this site could be a really nice addition.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/mn/ ... _18128170/

John21
Landmark Center

Postby John21 » July 5th, 2017, 4:12 pm

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » July 6th, 2017, 8:52 am

I hope they don't seriously let them enshrine an old gas station as a historical site. What a waste of a corner.

SurlyLHT
Target Field

Postby SurlyLHT » July 6th, 2017, 11:44 am

Is it just me, or do the community pictures they want on the side of the storage facility look way out of place for the rest of the building? It looks like they pasted a giant polaroid randomly on the a couple sides.

BoredAgain
Landmark Center

Postby BoredAgain » July 9th, 2017, 11:15 am

SurlyLHT wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 11:44 am
Is it just me, or do the community pictures they want on the side of the storage facility look way out of place for the rest of the building? It looks like they pasted a giant polaroid randomly on the a couple sides.
I assume that they have to do something because codes won't allow a giant blank wall. I also hope that they pick something better for the final selection because what they put on these drawings is just silly.

Sara Bergen
Metrodome

Postby Sara Bergen » July 10th, 2017, 7:09 am

New affordable development proposed for VA stop on the light rail: http://finance-commerce.com/2017/07/aff ... blue-line/.

With rents at 30% of income this seems to be a truly affordable development, rather than LIHTC "affordable".

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 8th, 2017, 10:14 am

Development proposal at the corner of 42nd Street and Hiawatha Avenue. It would include a Starbucks and Dominos, each with a drive thru. This would make the bike lane on 42nd Street even more dangerous. There is also no way for pedestrians to access the site from the sidewalk on Hiawatha Avenue.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » November 8th, 2017, 10:36 am

Source? That is one ugly set of plans, right next to the ugly U-Haul proposal. And since when do Domino's do drive thrus?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 8th, 2017, 11:13 am

In what world does a Domino's ever possibly need a drive thru?

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » November 8th, 2017, 11:56 am

Longfellow Community Council’s Neighborhood Development and Transportation Committee.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lck8r5ouo24v ... .docx?dl=0

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 8th, 2017, 2:03 pm

The Longfellow n'hood org seriously held a committee meeting on election night? WTF.

How were there any nerds left to attend?

John21
Landmark Center

Postby John21 » November 8th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I'd rather keep the car wash.

Interesting to see Longfellow Station made a presentation. Maybe they have some tenants lined up?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 8th, 2017, 6:48 pm

twincitizen wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 2:03 pm
The Longfellow n'hood org seriously held a committee meeting on election night? WTF.

How were there any nerds left to attend?
Marcy Holmes did too but had good turn out. We apparently needed it for the General Mills project, which is probably true.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » November 8th, 2017, 11:47 pm

A blue line station at 42nd St would be sooo worth it if it'd stop some of this garbage from being built. This site plan is the perfect visual argument for 1/2 mile station spacing. Really, a dominoes drive-thru? :roll:

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”