Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Postby amiller92 » January 25th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I believe that the author genuinely believes that Linden Hills is somehow under threat.

I don't get how he thinks it's fragile or what he thinks is threatening it. The neighbors successfully shrunk both of the only two multi-family proposal that come to mind in the area. Where's all this deadly density supposed to be?

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » January 25th, 2018, 3:22 pm

David, I see your point that the author may truly believe that a 4 story condo building should not get built on that parcel of land. What I don't think is appropriate is to throw out qualitative catchphrases in the letter with the intent of them being read as factual statements by the uninformed.

Problematic catchphrases that sensationalize the letter (and that I take issue with):
Livability
the good things of a community
unique character
fragile inner-city neighborhood
unique character
healthy for a neighborhood

The only quantitative statement that I saw in the article is that, a multi-family unit replacing a single family property does in fact increase density.

Building a two-story duplex isn't an option when land prices are what they are in that location, thus the author, in his attempt in a call to arms, goes in a roundabout way to stops any multi-family developments in Linden Hills.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 25th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Just because you genuinely believe something doesn't mean you're right. And in some cases, it doesn't mean you're opinion should be allowed to hold weight over more informed opinions.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » January 25th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Schwinn- what would you say to this guy if you were talking to him face to face? Would you use persuasive arguments to reveal to him a win-win which hasn't yet seen? Or would you call him a rich entitled old hoarder and tell him it's time to share, whether he wants to or not?

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » January 25th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Hey Bob, I really don't like when people make negative blanket statements towards people of means. Everybody is different and should be given a chance on whether or not they are a decent person. Both people of means and little means can be jerks.

I don't consider myself an exclusionary person but I do live in a SW Minneapolis neighborhood, in a single family home, surrounded by other single family homes. An independent restaurant with tasty food and fair prices just close down a short walk from my house and I think if developers were building some density around Lyndale and 54th as opposed to single story Walgreens and Title Boxing Gyms with large surface lots, maybe there would be enough density and foot traffic for that amenity to survive.

I personally took offence at the way the author's opinion was stated in the letter. It's exclusionary, devoid of factual statements, but is typical of the majority of the vocal sexagenarian SW Minneapolis homeowners in SW Journal.

Would I let him know that he'd be a lot safer walking his shih tzu late at night on sidewalks with other people walking around (due to the increase in density)? Would I inform him that he's blessed to live in a cool neighborhood and he should consider it a good thing that new housing is being added so more people can enjoy what it has to offer?

Sure!

Do I think he'd listen?

No.

And this is because of my disappointing life experience of hearing anti-biker rhetoric from people of a certain age at Ped/Bike safety listening sessions put on by my Counsel Member and at Lynnhurst Neighborhood Association Crime and Safety meetings. They both has a very similar tone of egocentricity.

I want more for Minneapolis after visiting other cities and knowing what they could if a vocal minority would step out of the way.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Postby Anondson » February 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm

Missing Middle coming to 50th and France on Minneapolis side.

I was tempted to put this in the 50th and France thread in the Suburbs forum... but the owner of Arezzo Ristorante wants to demolish three single family homes behind his restaurant (at the corner of 51st and Ewing) and build 16 luxury apartments.

http://www.startribune.com/new-apartmen ... 474890273/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 23rd, 2018, 11:22 am

Pretty sure we did discuss this in a different thread.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 11th, 2018, 8:39 pm

8 unit project approved last year for this site with the condition it be three stories.

So instead a new three story project is proposed but now with 36 units.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 214660.pdf

Well done neighborhood.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » October 11th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Very cool entrance!

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » October 12th, 2018, 6:48 am

This is great. Solid unit mix.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2018, 8:51 am

8 unit project approved last year for this site with the condition it be three stories.

So instead a new three story project is proposed but now with 36 units.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 214660.pdf

Well done neighborhood.
I bet they're going to be super happy about it too.

But hey, guys, you won't be able to see it from the middle of the lake, and that was your complaint about the prior proposal....

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 12th, 2018, 10:38 am

Lots of family-friendly 2 BR units in the mix.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » October 13th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Lots of family-friendly 2 BR units in the mix.
It's not family-friendly unless it's a mansion with at least 10 bedrooms and a cleaning staff.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 14th, 2018, 7:16 am

Every child with a bedroom of their own and fenced in backyards to play with no other children, only monsters stack their children like cordwood.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 10th, 2019, 2:59 pm

4353 Upton is back, and less attractive than before: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 216417.pdf

Still 3 stories of office though.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 23rd, 2019, 4:19 pm

4353 Upton is back, and less attractive than before: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 216417.pdf

Still 3 stories of office though.
Approved by Planning Commission.
Sebastian Joe's owners receive approval for commercial building in Linden Hills

Anondson
IDS Center

Apartments vs. Condos | Renting vs. Owning

Postby Anondson » September 11th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Fascinating thread on anger over condos proposed in SW had this tweet allegedly paraphrasing Palmisano.

https://twitter.com/MeesterGibbs/status ... 3568326662

She was angry this was proposed as condos instead of apartments (!) ownership instead of rentals. It’s like she is claiming building condos is a scheme to dodge from inclusionary zoning.

Amazing.

For years we have heard objections to rental housing because of mystical claims that ownership made a better neighborhood citizen. Now ownership is proposed and suspicions that it’s loophole.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Apartments vs. Condos | Renting vs. Owning

Postby amiller92 » September 12th, 2019, 9:01 am

Fancy condos near fancy shopping and dining. It's an outrage.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » September 12th, 2019, 1:11 pm

She's the new Meg Tuthill in City Counsel. She's a NIMBY through and through (or is at least pandering to the wealthy SFH owner constituents in Ward 13) as seen during the Mnpls 2040 meeting I attended at SW High School).

I expect her to get reelected in 2021 because of this.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 12th, 2019, 1:47 pm

She seems to have gone more extreme NIMBY because of 2040. There (surprisingly) hasn't really been much development proposed in her ward over the past 6 years, so there aren't many examples to point to of her loudly opposing (or supporting) development. Even some of the stuff that has been built had already been approved prior to her taking office in Jan. '14 (thinking of 4250 Upton). I wouldn't be surprised to see her get a challenger in 2021 that's even more vocally NIMBY, nor would I be surprised to see someone with the backing of N4MN try to mount a challenge. Linea clearly isn't on #TeamBender, so she's not chairing important Council committees. She might decide to hang it up after 2 terms...who knows