Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Linden Hills: Bayers Hardware site

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 4th, 2013, 1:47 pm

I'm sure the NIMBYs will not tolerate the loss of any parking
Similarly, I'd bet they would approve a proposal for a 20-story parking ramp.....covered in leaves, of course! :lol:

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 4th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Can we impose a moratorium on the word "NIMBY" for a bit?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 4th, 2013, 2:43 pm

The "villagers" of Linden Hills deserve every bit of criticism they get. NIMBY is an understatement...these folks are CAVE people: Citizens Against Virtually Everything

"This will all end in tears"
“Linden Hills will turn into nothing more than a strip mall.”
“Within a few years the Linden Hills business district will be dead, there is nothing unique or historic in Linden Hills anymore”
http://southwestminneapolis.patch.com/a ... touch-park

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 4th, 2013, 3:16 pm

In fairness this thing certainly ended in tears.....from urbanmsp'ers!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 4th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I'm all for switching to CAVE people instead. I agree that it fits them much better.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » April 4th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Downtown Linden Hills as they call it sure makes the news and for the most part there is really nothing there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 4th, 2013, 3:46 pm

You are luck to have even 4 full or even partical blocks of business. Over the last 10 years there as been so much turnover in business and other business that have gotten out of there because they were not able to run their businesses like they needed to that they have lost their anchor, which was the Coop to 44th and France area. I'm taking this to be the same building that is now needing yet another round of something because the business there was not enough to pay the rents. The owner of the buildings think they have a gold mine. But in reality they are on a debt bomb that will explode when the buisinesses there move to cheaper rent or better foot traffic to make their business models work and then the CAVE people will scream that their village has gone to H*** and no one want to invest in their neighborhood.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 4th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Years ago, I was at a LHiNC meeting and as the moving of the coop was discussed, a woman said something along the lines of "It's so sad that the coop is moving to 44th & France. I wish I didn't oppose that CVS that was just proposed for the location the coop is moving to."

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 5th, 2013, 12:41 am

Looks like a great design and fits in beautifully with the scale of the business district. It's renovating a building that's basically a dump. I can't believe the neighborhood would be opposed to it

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 5th, 2013, 6:21 am

i don't know...if i had the priviledge of living in linden hills i'd probably be wary of changes. it's the nicest neighborhood in the city imo. location number one of course. and the variety of housing, design. the library is a gem. that business node feels like a small town, not smack in the middle of the city.

i'm sure this project will have no problems.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » April 5th, 2013, 11:36 am

You are luck to have even 4 full or even partical blocks of business. Over the last 10 years there as been so much turnover in business and other business that have gotten out of there because they were not able to run their businesses like they needed to that they have lost their anchor, which was the Coop to 44th and France area. I'm taking this to be the same building that is now needing yet another round of something because the business there was not enough to pay the rents. The owner of the buildings think they have a gold mine. But in reality they are on a debt bomb that will explode when the buisinesses there move to cheaper rent or better foot traffic to make their business models work and then the CAVE people will scream that their village has gone to H*** and no one want to invest in their neighborhood.
Actually, this building needs it's first "another round of something" in 80 years because a bigger newer hardware store (another local family chain) moved in to the old co-op space, and there wasn't room for two. Most of the businesses in Linden Hills have been there quite a while...Creative Kidstuff, great harvest bakery, sebastian joe's, wild rumpus, Famous Dave's (isn't that one of their first locations?). Yeah, there has been some turnover...but I would say the business district has always been pretty healthy. This will make it even better.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 5th, 2013, 1:21 pm

i don't know...if i had the priviledge of living in linden hills i'd probably be wary of changes. it's the nicest neighborhood in the city imo. location number one of course. and the variety of housing, design. the library is a gem. that business node feels like a small town, not smack in the middle of the city
I agree. A mix of urban sophistication yet the feel and scale of a small town. That blend should be the tenet that guides all development and architectural design in this neighborhood. This project is sensitive to that.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: The Waters of 50th

Postby bapster2006 » April 9th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Well into the ground digging

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 9th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Cool....although a controversial project, it's so much better than the hole in the ground that's been there for years now. Especially considering the area!

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 30th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Drove past this today. That hole bapster posted a picture of now has the start of some block foundation walls.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 28th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Couple quick snaps out my car window this morning.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Linden Hills Condos - (4253-4259 Sheridan Avenue South)

Postby degersblogg » October 28th, 2013, 4:16 pm

John
Capella Tower

Re: Developer proposes new condo building in Linden Hills

Postby John » October 28th, 2013, 5:46 pm

This sounds like a very promising project ( with Julie Snow as architect) if the NIMBY's don't sabotage it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 28th, 2013, 5:57 pm

This is Linden Hills. They will have to fight for a few years to wear the neighbors down!!

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » October 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm

Sounds like the nimby's have already cut the size from 9 units down to 3. Does that count as sabotage? Not leaving much economy of scale, tearing down 3 buildings to build an ownership triplex.