Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 17th, 2015, 7:42 pm

True, you rarely hear about the average resident in these meetings....always the loonies with nothing else to do with their time and an axe to grind, to boot.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 17th, 2015, 11:39 pm

The process in general excludes (or is at least much less forgiving) to people that don't have a ton of free time on their hands. And since the people with lots of free time on their hands and enough knowledge to testify at city council meeting are generally going to be the ones doing ok with the way things are, so of course they'd oppose all change.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 9th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 29th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Was in the hood today and noticed that the parking lot still had cars on it. Is the corner project by Sebastian Joe's waiting until spring to start, or is this a bust after all that work to get it approved?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

South Upton Building (4353 Upton Ave S)

Postby seanrichardryan » July 12th, 2016, 10:07 am

Sebastian Joe's office project 'on hold'

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... den-hills/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Southwest - General Topics (Linden Hills, Fulton, et al)

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2017, 1:30 pm

United Properties purchased the building that held a small few retail stores along France Ave, on the sliver triangle block shared with another building across the street from Linden Hills Co-op near 44th and France, for over $1.2 million. With a tax-assessed value under $600,000.

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/04/uni ... ce-avenue/

ko123
City Center

Postby ko123 » October 18th, 2017, 9:26 am

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 18th, 2017, 9:47 am

It was a supposed to be before the planning commission on Monday. Anyone know what happened?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 18th, 2017, 9:51 am

It was granted a CUP for 3 stories, not 4 as requested. The video of the CPC meeting isn't up on YouTube yet, but I heard there was a bit of typical drama. No word on if the developer will appeal the decision, or even if neighbors will appeal it in the other direction.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 23rd, 2017, 10:47 pm

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » October 24th, 2017, 7:49 am

Won't somebody please think of the TREES?!?!?!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 10th, 2017, 1:30 pm

It was granted a CUP for 3 stories, not 4 as requested. The video of the CPC meeting isn't up on YouTube yet, but I heard there was a bit of typical drama. No word on if the developer will appeal the decision, or even if neighbors will appeal it in the other direction.
Apparently the appeal was denied by the Zoning and Planning Committee yesterday. Ridiculous.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » November 14th, 2017, 9:28 am

Proposed 14 upscale apartments and 19 enclosed ground level parking spots where 3 single family homes currently reside (5048, 5052 and 5056 Ewing Avenue South) from the owner of the adjacent Arezzo Italian restaurant:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... 1st-ewing/

From the article: Pending city approval, the project would break ground in mid-2018.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 14th, 2017, 9:41 am

Not that I think this shouldn't happen, but spot zoning from R1A to R4 seems...not good. How much longer can we sustain this sort of thing? I'm not at all saying we should halt this but a complete overhaul of zoning codes and application is in order.

Looking at Google street view, this is pretty much the perfect place for something like this. That whole side of the block is pretty hopeless in terms of "neighborhood feel."

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 14th, 2017, 10:28 am

Not that I think this shouldn't happen, but spot zoning from R1A to R4 seems...not good.
Why?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 14th, 2017, 10:52 am

I think David is speaking in the descriptive rather than normative.

I can think of probably 5-10 policies in the comprehensive plan that would support something like this going in a place like this, but I can also think of maybe 5-15 policies that could be interpreted to say something like this going in a place like this shouldn't be supported. And since the rezone isn't something like R3 to R4, but from our second-lowest zoning classification up to R4, which sounds like a big jump (even though it's... not? R4 is pretty tight). So I can see where staff would say this isn't appropriate per city policies, even though by all means a 3 story building backing up to a commercial district, shadowing a city-owned parking lot to its north, in a pricey neighborhood aligns with what I think most planners and elected officials would say is appropriate.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 14th, 2017, 11:52 am

Yeah, this block seems like it should be a pretty easy sell. Even across the street might be a whole different situation.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 14th, 2017, 3:11 pm

Yes, RBY expresses what I was thinking. It *feels* like a big change even if maybe it isn't, and especially isn't given the surrounding context.

We're going to see lots more efforts to spot-zone like this and probably in places where it is a harder sell. At some point it won't be allowed anymore due to political pressure. Best we get ahead of it with a comprehensive review and overhaul. Yes, I know that's a ginormous project.

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » January 25th, 2018, 1:24 pm

A cute, disingenuous article about a potential condo development in Linden Hills. The author clearly thinks he's being so giving and open minded about allowing new development as long as it fits his definition of what is appropriate.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/voices/ ... r-density/

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 25th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Careful with the "disingenuous" label. It's pretty presumptuous to assume someone is intentionally disguising motives. Very likely the author cares about the things he says he cares about. You may disagree but he is spot on that everyone needs to have a voice.

I mean, obviously one is not going to support a development one does not like. Right? When people here oppose a one-story development on Hennepin Ave. is that any less "closed-minded?"