West Lake Station / Calhoun Village area - General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

West Lake Station / Calhoun Village area - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » April 18th, 2015, 9:15 pm

There will be a meeting on April 29th at 5 Pm at the Centrum room of the Jones-Harrison Residence to discuss the future of West Lake station and learn about a multimodal study: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 140120.pdf
As a result of the Southwest Light Rail Transit project’s Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Metropolitan Council and the City of Minneapolis, an area wide multimodal transportation study is being conducted for the West Lake LRT Station area. Study efforts will be coordinated with partner agencies to identify non-motorized needs, challenges, and opportunities in the vicinity of the planned West Lake LRT Station. Motorized travel will also be analyzed to guide intersection and roadway modifications that were identified as part of the preliminary designs for the West Lake LRT Station area.

The goal of the study is to identify opportunities to address non-motorized and motorized travel within the West Lake LRT Station area with projects that can be implemented as a part of the construction of the Southwest LRT or as part of other capital initiatives. Potential longer-term improvements that would not occur before the LRT opening will also be identified.

There will be particular attention to:
· access to and from primary destination points
· movements within the study area including the “last block” segments
· consideration of travel through the study area
The study should be completed near the end of 2015.

twincitizen

Re: West Lake Station & Multimodal Study

Postby twincitizen » April 19th, 2015, 2:34 pm

I think I'd prefer if this station were renamed West Calhoun. West Lake is too broad...and could literally refer to anything west of Nicollet. West Calhoun is actually the name of the neighborhood in which the station will be located, and other things in the area are called that as well.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 4th, 2015, 11:35 am

Survey on opportunities in the area

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2121276/W ... udy-Survey

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 4th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I hope everyone takes the survey. I basically answered what I thought would most likely trigger better bike/ped design and allow lane reductions.

At the end I made this comment:

The area handles motorized traffic fairly well but fails for everyone else. I am fine with reducing QoS for motor vehicles if we can make the area better for other uses. This is an important area of recreation and commerce and it should be accessible to everyone.

West Lake around the north side of Calhoun should have a reduced number of lanes and reduced speeds. It acts like a mini-freeway right now. It causes problems in the study area and all the way back to the east side of the lake.

We ought to consider downgrading CR-25 from a highway to a more local route, reconnect the grid around it and free up some land for other uses.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 6th, 2015, 7:26 am

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cip/all/WCMS1P-138480

Community Workshop #2

This will be the second of three community workshops conducted as part of the study. You are invited to help review proposed changes to the area around the planned West Lake LRT station. There will be information about the project as well as opportunities to provide feedback on the study results thus far. The goal of the study is to provide recommendations that can be implemented as part of the construction of the Southwest LRT or other future investments in the area.

The format will be casual and attendees are welcome to come as and go as they please.

Date: Wednesday, October 7th
Time: 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Location: Jones-Harrison Residence – 3700 Cedar Lake Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55416

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 6th, 2015, 10:20 am

Damn, I don't think I can make this. If one of you goes can you take pictures of displays and give a general report of the goings on? Thanks!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 18th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Just outside the scope of this study and station area, does anyone think there's any possibility that the Minikahda Club would sell off the NW 3 holes (other side of Excelsior)?

Not many 15-hole golf courses out there (or are there?), but everything has a price, right? Maybe they could reconfigure and squeeze 3 short holes in the existing footprint or even go all the way down to 9 holes.

That 22-acre France-32nd-Excelsior triangle would be the development opportunity of a lifetime.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 18th, 2016, 2:19 pm

And maybe the biggest chance to get France connected through!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2016, 2:41 pm

The course is 6800 yards long, which is generally on the short end of "championship" courses. That said, I think they could maintain 18 holes south of Excelsior Blvd if they wanted to... The parking lot alone could be a par 3 if they had structured parking, or if they did valet to the other side of Excelsior as part of a redevelopment. I bet they could squeeze two other holes into the existing footprint if they wanted. That's probably more likely than seeing a 15 hole course.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 18th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Not unless they're in dire need of cash, which by all appearances they are not... The course was last reconfigured/ renovated in 2001. The club is also operated as a non-profit.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm

The SE corner of Minikahda is mostly woods. Not sure of the topography, but I gotta believe you could squeeze 2, if not 3 holes in that space and still leave a good buffer of trees along the few homes on the west side of Abbott. Not that urban golf clubs for the ultra-rich are my biggest concern. But it would be kinda cool to have the city/county even talk to the club about this. Another side benefit would be that you'd get active uses and intersections along this stretch of Excelsior, which would hopefully help calm it.

For reference, the county's website says this 23 acre triangle of land is valued at $706k (lol) and pays $28k in property taxes (lol).

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby acs » May 12th, 2016, 9:08 am

Buried in this story about the Moline in Hopkins is this little tidbit:

Kelly Doran is buying the Calhoun Villiage Shopping Center on W. Lake street due to the proximity to the potential SWLRT station.

http://www.startribune.com/developer-ke ... 379190771/

I don't think I need to remind this group how huge a redevelopment of this strip mall would be.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 12th, 2016, 9:37 am

There is huge potential in the Calhoun Village Shopping Center site, especially with a future SWLRT station nearby. Right now, there's a lot of surface parking that could be better used. One of the main reasons the neighborhood rejected the proposed tower design for the apartments currently under construction on the old Tryg's site was the precedent it would set for whenever the shopping center site was redone. The apartments are now six stories tall. I'm excited to see what will happen next door.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2016, 9:46 am

Oh man, I cannot WAIT for that monstrosity to be blown up and redeveloped into a dense urban neighborhood.

Condo_Dweller
Block E

Re: West Lake Station Area - Multimodal study, Development, etc.

Postby Condo_Dweller » May 12th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Would we like to see all those businesses integrated into an urban village? And...what about the parking? There is barely enough now. Parking ramp?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 12th, 2016, 1:30 pm

What if an adjacent METRO station made it so less parking was needed?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2016, 1:35 pm

I've literally never had a problem finding parking. One may have to walk across the whole parking lot to get to Punch. The horror!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 12th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I would anticipate something like Excelsior and Grand on a smaller footprint. First floor retail with residential above, and a parking ramp tucked into the mix. I sure hope most of the current retail remains (or at least similar stores). There's a good mix of services in there for people who live nearby... food, Walgreens, fitness, bookstore, etc.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 12th, 2016, 2:12 pm

The current west building is built over a one story parking ramp, used by the office tenants and retail employees. Something similar could happen on the current lots. The 'full parking' is usually the west lot. A better pedestrian flow within the lots and a proper crosswalk over Market Plaza could help with that. Oh, end some meaningful bike access. It's on the flippin greenway afterall.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.