Revel / Target Store- 1300 West Lake St

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: CPM Cheapo Site proposal - 1300 West Lake St

Postby mnmike » June 19th, 2015, 1:33 pm

I mean, people on lower incomes that used to be able to live close to Henn and Lake are indeed being priced out of the area due to the new development and higher property values...
You mean being priced out of the area due to demand for housing there leading to higher prices.
Well yes, that is pretty much exactly what I said, worded differently. But yes, that's what I mean. Guess I didn't think I needed to spell out how the market and demand work on a site like this. Demand leading to more dense development, leading to higher land values, leading to higher prices.

As for the last poster...I am not sure what they even mean? But I think we are all on the same page.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 19th, 2015, 1:42 pm

The negatives that kept people from wanting to be in this area have slowly been fading away. Blighted landscapes are now filled with new apartments and give the area a much livelier and safe area to live. The increase in commercial successes between Grand and James has been growing over the years , after many years of being stagnant. The Lakes, the transit lines, the commercial districts are now alive and humming along very nicely. The negative are gone, except for traffic thru Uptown which was the same whether it was good or bad is part of a problem that is difficult to fix.

It is like that room with a view, the view is ever changing and someone may build and cover part of your view at anytime. It is part of life. unless you have full control, there is no way to stop change from happening.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 19th, 2015, 5:11 pm

As an aside, the above conversation is why I'm annoyed by words like gentrification--they don't actually have a common, agreed upon definition!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 19th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Gentrification means "economic change that I don't like in a place that I do like."

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » June 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Gentrification means "economic change that I don't like in a place that I do like."
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 19th, 2015, 9:52 pm

False. I like 2320 Colfax. That doesn't mean it's not gentrification.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 20th, 2015, 6:16 am

That's a building.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 20th, 2015, 8:53 am

This shows that when people lose the ability to look at facts, get all emotional they are no longer able to have a rational conversation able things. That are engrain on their FAUX NEWS talking points and nothing will change that.

An extra story on the corners are going to make this now feel like a canyon that you will be down. Even though most of Lake street's second level and above are setting back to form the pool area. FACT

A majority of the upper level is set back from the street front line, so there is not shear wall affect.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 20th, 2015, 12:17 pm

As an aside, the above conversation is why I'm annoyed by words like gentrification--they don't actually have a common, agreed upon definition!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 20th, 2015, 12:49 pm

To get back on track with this thread and the BUILDING itself!! I'll try and debunk some of what the naysayer and doomsayers have purported will be the downfall if this is built.

1: The sidewalks around the buildings will become dark canyons. False!! You will still have plenty of light given that Lake Street itself will allow plenty of sun to make its way to the sidewalks. Canyons are pretty much blank space where here, there are windows on both levels along the 3 street sides of the building. The 2 story street level is approximately the same height as the current building, except that the Cheapo building is 2 stories of blank walls vs 2 stories of glass and doors. Which would you consider more anti pedestrian?? This block will be on of the most pedestrian friendly in Uptown!!
2: Like a column, most older buildings had a base, the column, and the capital. Now days it is more of a inverted T with a base and a column, but not capital. A few buildings try and add a decorative top or some sort of accent, but they are not true capitals. This building has a 2 story base that has contrasting color and material scheme than that of the stucco white panels that make up a majority of the building. The base will have dark brick/stone that break up the banks for windows that front it. There are wood accents that symbolize the entry points for the residential, office, and the retail on Lagoon. This help pedestrians know that there is something different up ahead. There are small setback for the residential lobby and they have not turned their back on the alley, but embraced it with windows looking to the drop off area in the alley.
3: Rectangles!! Those boxes and clutter that some seem to find offensive serve a purpose. On Lake street there is a small rectangle that accents the entry to the residential entrance from afar. It also helps give the pool area a bit more privacy. The dreaded dark boxes will make me feel unsafe!! Come on, they are about 20 feet wide, less than one apartment unit, and 40 to 60 feet in length. They act like capitals on the corner of the building. Like the dome that used to be on the Masonic Temple on 6th and Hennepin. In reality they will be very small in the scale of the building and will help to ground the building to the 2 street corners. The rectangle on Lagoon look to float over the second floor due to the white that is used in-between the ground and 3rd level of the building. I must say it look very classy and give Lagoon a whole different vibe to it's wall. I hear screams about how the building don't meet the street, and here we have a great example of it happening and we hear how bad it is. That "want their cake and eat it too syndrome happening again".
4: Canyonization that this building will cause! Far from it. Levels 3 and up have many setbacks. On Lake Street alone 1/3 of the building is setback at least one unit depth to create a pool and outdoor area. This setback also coincides with the set back of the Walkway along Lake Street. The other 2/3 is where the building meets the street like a good building should and we are up in arms that it over powers the street!! WTF?????? Fremont side is also set back over 2/3rds of it's length with those 6 squares that pop out to give some visual interest. The yellow accents, they bring your attention to the details which are spot on with me. Nothing is worse to me than a monochrome project. Can we say B_L_A_N_D, I know you could! The alleys side has 2 light well that break up the massing on that side and help allow light for both the Walkway and this project. The wild card is the Lagoon side which has the longest of the extra story length. But I look at it playing nicely as a step down to the 10 story Mosaic across the way when it is built. This building stands out, but still plays well with others in the hood!!
5: Finally to go off topic again, but how can a building with 10-12 alcove units per floor, about equal with 1-2 bedroom units, not be considered a great thing. There will be a range of price points for this building. There are not any older lower rent apartments that are being replaced. We are increasing the supply of places to live to help keep up with the demand for those that want to live here and hopefully slow down some of the rent hikes. With the number of smaller units it will allow more people to afford to live in Uptown if they want.

The COW is 1/2 way down on the 3rd page of this thread. Most of what I've talked about will be easily found there and will shed a lot of light on the many misperceptions. Would be interested in knowing what I may have gotten wrong, so please feel free to contradict me and have solid reasons why I'm wrong and I'll be glad to consider them.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 20th, 2015, 1:41 pm

can you stop posting so much
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 20th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I hate u all.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: CPM Cheapo Site proposal - 1300 West Lake Sthttp://www.u

Postby David Greene » June 20th, 2015, 8:49 pm

That's a building.
?? Are you disagreeing that the redevelopment of 2320 Colfax is gentrification? Because it is.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 20th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Pretty much every reasonable person can agree that when poor people get pushed out of living somewhere, it's gentrification. Denying that is just sticking your fingers in your ears. If you can't agree that 2320 Colfax is gentrification then you'll never agree *anything* is gentrification.

If you want a better word, find one and convince everyone else.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 20th, 2015, 8:57 pm

It's not gentrification because its popular with white people who like amenities. They just stuff, you know?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 21st, 2015, 12:58 am

Wut.

Come on people.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 21st, 2015, 3:28 am

Isn't it a response to gentrification? The property values near 2320 Colfax tripled or more from the early 1990s to the mid-2000s. Regardless of who bought the houses next, the rent was likely to go up. The single-family home across the street at 2400 Colfax is valued at $525,000. If the preservationists had had their way, it's fairly likely the existing 20-ish housing units in 2316 and 2320 would have been taken out and the buildings would have been converted back to single-family housing with prices well over half a million dollars. Now that's gentrification -- not simply causing housing prices to go up, but also decreasing the density of an area and constraining the supply of housing.

The new apartment project won't be able to keep rent as low as it had been in a slummy rooming house, but the rent probably needed to go up anyway in order to properly maintain the old buildings. The new project roughly doubles the number of housing units on the site and will have safer, modern construction. How many of the new residents might move across the street from the older apartment buildings at 2211. 2307, and 2315 Colfax, opening up cheap units there? There are other apartments and condos over on Bryant and Aldrich that also look pretty cheap already.

The simple practice of replacing old, obsolete buildings generally means that the cheapest sites go first, so folks enjoying the lowest rents are most likely to see the wrecking ball headed for their building. That doesn't automatically equate to gentrification just because the new building is more expensive than the old one.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 21st, 2015, 7:45 am

Amen Mulad, Logic has finally filled a box that says what needed to be said. This is a page about the Cheapo building which I tried to steer the page back to but got Poo Pooed by a Mod. Can we stay on topic, Cheapo site, or please Mods lock this page too.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 11th, 2015, 4:32 pm

No longer colorful with jutting out boxes

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 147190.pdf

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 11th, 2015, 4:52 pm

I liked the funky look the yellow brought to it, but I can appreciate that they're using red cedar now, it's just as modern a little more refined.

With this, mosaic 3, and (fingers crossed) a new hotel near Calhoun square we almost havea real dense urban node. McDonald's. You gots to go.