Roof Depot site

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Re: Roof Depot site

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » September 29th, 2018, 12:31 pm

RE: Tiller

Thanks for your comments. I personally don't have an opinion about what to do with the Roof Depot site (though the water yard seems like a wasted opportunity). I still don't get SR's snark. In general, I like the info he posts, it just seemed like this comment was disingenuous/trollish criticism, since the aquaponics proposal is not about growing plants in contaminated soil, and I imagine he knows that.
Is it possible he thinks that anything other than covering the whole site with market rate apartments is dumb?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 2nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

So Aquaponics is not growing things in soil, it's like hydroponics (growing stuff directly in water) but there are fish in that water which I guess is better for the plants and good for the fish so overall you're producing more food. So the soil contamination shouldn't be an issue here as long as it's not polluting the air or something?

The "wateryard" is the name for the city's water maintenance facility, which is currently located in NE but badly needs to be replaced (and the site in NE is slated to be replaced by a fire station because the existing station in that area isn't sufficient for the needs of the increased university area residential and the mid-city industrial industrial stuff. The water yard is where water repair and maintenance staff and equipment are dispatched from. So as far as on site "industrial" use it's mostly trucks leaving in the morning and coming back at night. But this would also put more traffic onto Cedar Ave (or the community thinks it will) which is not a super great road. If all the traffic can go to Hiawatha that would be better but eventually these trucks need to get onto city streets because they need to get to where the water infrastructure is.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 2nd, 2018, 12:15 pm

Oh yeah and I went to that meeting and tweeted my thoughts and instead of rehashing them I'll just link to my thread: (if you click on the date/time you'll get linked directly to the thread)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Huh. I've seen the "Minneapolis Waterworks" sign across Hennepin from HeadFlyer, but assumed it was a ghost sign. Didn't realize it was the main water maintenance facility for the city.

Also, holy crap do we need to get E Hennepin road dieted soon, before the fire station moves and all of a sudden we can't do anything because fire trucks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » October 2nd, 2018, 8:18 pm

Also, holy crap do we need to get E Hennepin road dieted soon, before the fire station moves and all of a sudden we can't do anything because fire trucks.
Dieted?

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » October 18th, 2018, 7:22 am

Presentation from the recent meeting for the roof depot site.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 214297.pdf