Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Re: Hi-Lake - Minnehaha Mall (Target/Cub) - Downtown Longfellow

Postby aeisenberg » August 22nd, 2019, 1:03 pm

They started working on something new in the old Rainbow parking lot. A long chunk of the parking lot is all fenced off and torn up, as well as the sidewalk the curved around the Wendy's. Wonder if this is the beginning of that 5 story tall apartment complex they mentioned at a community meeting a couple years back.
Is this the Midtown Corner development?
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » August 23rd, 2019, 7:49 pm

They started working on something new in the old Rainbow parking lot. A long chunk of the parking lot is all fenced off and torn up, as well as the sidewalk the curved around the Wendy's. Wonder if this is the beginning of that 5 story tall apartment complex they mentioned at a community meeting a couple years back.
Is this the Midtown Corner development?
It looks like it is, but they're digging up the wrong side of the parking lot for it if so. Currently it's the long strip all in front of the ALDI that's gone. I'm going to guess they're going to put down all new parking lot there first for ALDI (cause it was pretty shitty) and then dig up the other half afterwards for the actual building.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » September 26th, 2019, 11:10 am

They've finished up most of the revamp of the half of the parking lot in front of the ALDI as well as the road coming in off of Minnehaha in past the Wendy's aside from some cosmetic stuff like grass/trees. They changed up the road width, looks like they're trying to gear the whole area here down to make it less used as a through street and just as a way into a parking lot or the businesses here. They've already broke ground on the other half of the lot where the new apartment structure is supposed to be going up. Wonder how far they'll get before the winter comes.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 2nd, 2019, 4:23 pm

So maybe this was discussed under some different thread or name but I can't find evidence of it. Since this project is right by my house and works toward reducing the acres of needless parking lots that dominate the highly-promising intersection of Minnehaha and Lake, I dug into this a bit.

I'm a bit surprised that it didn't attract more attention here because it looks like they waived the parking requirement for this one, with just 131 spots for 190 units. I know that's been happening more and more, and with so much parking in this area it's really welcome, but I'm still super pleased to see that happened here.

Now if only *some* kind of development would come to the intersection corner of the ridiculous Target parking field...

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby SurlyLHT » May 28th, 2020, 8:43 am

What is the extent of damage on Lake St from the fires and looters? The media seems to just have vague descriptions. I lived over here a year ago and the neighborhood was coming together. I live near Plymouth Ave N now, which had fires in the late 60s and never recovered. I hope the same isn't going to be true for Lake St. What housing project was burned down will it be rebuilt (Insurance cover this?) (Someone might want to create a thread?)

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 28th, 2020, 8:57 am

What is the extent of damage on Lake St from the fires and looters? The media seems to just have vague descriptions. I lived over here a year ago and the neighborhood was coming together. I live near Plymouth Ave N now, which had fires in the late 60s and never recovered. I hope the same isn't going to be true for Lake St. What housing project was burned down will it be rebuilt (Insurance cover this?) (Someone might want to create a thread?)
The nearly finished Midtown Corner apartments, in front of Aldi, is the housing project that went up in flames: https://midtowncorner.com/.

That entire strip mall where Aldi is at (old Rainbow Foods) has had extensive damage as well (smashed windows/looting). The AutoZone on the corner of Lake & Minnehaha has been burned. Cadillac Pawn about a mile west near Lake & Bloomington was smashed & looted. Minnehaha Lake Wine & Spirits was smashed and looted. Target and Cub were both smashed and looted. It's sad to see anger displayed in such a way.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 28th, 2020, 9:33 am

I drove down Lake from Lyndale to Chicago around 9am. Lots of tags/graffiti and a few boarded up windows and doors, presumably smashed. I could see smoke in the distance, but turned south to avoid backed up traffic.

Didn't even think that I was headed through the 38th St intersection, which was open (it had been blocked yesterday afternoon). There's some graffiti around there too, but I didn't notice any other damage. I wondered if there was going to be anger directed at Cup Foods, but so far doesn't seem like it.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 28th, 2020, 9:57 am

Does anybody know whether the small restaurants - Midori's, Gandhi Mahal, etc. - were damaged? And how about the post office?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 28th, 2020, 10:22 am

Wellington has done a lot for the community in the area and is going to take a hit. Were many of the older buildings with non-chain restaurants damaged?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 28th, 2020, 11:08 am

Gandhi Mahal had some windows broken, but I don't think anything worse than that.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 29th, 2020, 12:22 am

Bring Me The News is updating a list of damaged buildings.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-n ... olis-riots

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 29th, 2020, 11:55 am

Does anybody know whether the small restaurants - Midori's, Gandhi Mahal, etc. - were damaged? And how about the post office?
Gandhi Mahal owner, "Let my building burn."

https://www.startribune.com/let-my-buil ... 570865902/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 29th, 2020, 2:06 pm

I'm guessing many of them will be vacant until post recession. Will people buy up some of the properties betting they will be worth more in 5 years? Seems like especially Hiawatha and Lake with the LRT and etc might be a target.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 1st, 2020, 9:33 am

I'm guessing many of them will be vacant until post recession. Will people buy up some of the properties betting they will be worth more in 5 years? Seems like especially Hiawatha and Lake with the LRT and etc might be a target.
When I was over there, seeing how much has been destroyed I couldn't help but to imagine that what was historic, small and medium scale retail around 27th and Lake, will almost certainly get replaced with new development in the next few years. The "gentrification" opportunities will be abundant. Rather ironic as at least some of the fire-setting cam from left wing anarchist types.

Or maybe developers are even more evil than we thought...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 1st, 2020, 10:44 am

I haven't been through the area yet, but one of the (many) things that's making me heart-sick is the loss of some beautiful, irreplaceable historic buildings. The El Nuevo Rodeo / Town Talk building is probably at the top of this list, but many other more modest storefront buildings will not be replaced in kind. Even if the Lake Street gets rebuilt, it will have lost a lot of its history.

Related, it will be interesting to see the role that fire sprinklers played in terms of controlling the scope of destruction. Presumably, newer buildings would have been mostly sprinklered, while older ones were perhaps grandfathered in.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 1st, 2020, 12:16 pm

Nick Halter of the Bizjournals talked to Wellington and has a Twitter thread with updates.
- new Aldi on Minnehaha is probably 1-2 months to reopen, but the older one on Lake is probably more like 10 days from reopening.
- Wellington will rebuild Midtown Corner, but they're expecting to have to knock the remaining concrete framing down and start from scratch.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 1st, 2020, 12:49 pm

That's good news, glad to hear they're already committing to rebuild. We really need that affordable housing.

Anondson
IDS Center

Hi-Lake - Minnehaha Mall (Target/Cub) - Downtown Longfellow

Postby Anondson » June 2nd, 2020, 9:49 am

Midtown Corner is a total loss. Sprinklers were soon to be installed.

Wellington intends to rebuild but unsure when.

https://finance-commerce.com/2020/06/mi ... otal-loss/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 2nd, 2020, 12:25 pm

Is there a way to declare these areas some sort of special zones to get aid of some sort? Will the rebuilding be on a site by site basis or will there be something more community based? Hopefully, these neighborhoods can be rebuilt in a way that both honors and serves the community better than before.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 2nd, 2020, 12:36 pm

We kinda have Opportunity Zones. https://streets.mn/2019/01/07/map-monda ... in-cities/ But I know what you mean, something specifically for this destruction.

I see a strong risk that with the existing opportunity zone overlay, plus higher insurance rates guaranteed, that what gets rebuilt will not look anything similar to what was there. Either being denser or abandoned for years.