Hiawatha-Lake - Minnehaha - Downtown Longfellow

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Hi-Lake and Minnehaha Mall Area (Target, Cub, etc.)

Postby mattaudio » November 1st, 2016, 3:54 pm

A rent increase, necessary repairs to the brewery and potential plans to build an apartment complex on the adjacent parking lot that Harriet Brewing regularly used for festivals had Sowards first looking at other locations, then ultimately deciding it didn't make financial sense.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 2nd, 2016, 9:55 am

There's a weird crowd of people who are weirdly overeager for a "bubble to burst," and they're all racing to internet comment sections to brag about this being the start of it. But if you read between the lines here, I don't know that this closing is indicative of anything. The story seems to be that Harriet Brewing started up as a passion project, never had huge expectations, and when presented with the challenge of relocating decided they'd had a good run.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2016, 10:01 am

Word in the industry is we'll see less beer going big & commercial and more destination type facilities producing only for onsite customers (see townhall or Dangerous Man.) That makes sense when you look at the maxed-out taps and limited shelf space at the local liquor store. A shift, not a bust.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

Until we hear of an actual development of that site, I'd like to move this to a dedicated thread (or perhaps merge it with the Sunday Sales / Alcohol legislation thread, which I would re-title). Because I'd like this conversation about the local beer / brewery market to continue (as I expect it will), and it doesn't have much to do with this location specifically.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » March 22nd, 2017, 10:50 pm

Wellington Management will be going to the planning commission on Monday, April 10th and has submitted a number of applications for rezoning, conditional use, variances, and site plan review. This is a very important development for this area, and I am optimistic that it can improved 27th Ave and help continue to define Downtown Longfellow. I am hopeful we can get a few more eyes on this project and offer some constructive criticism.
Untitled.jpg

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 22nd, 2017, 11:37 pm

Not too familiar with this one, but can you fill us in on how seeking variances to exceed maximum parking and breaking away from the Pedestrian Oriented Overly District standards will result in improvement? (I get that most anything is an improvement to a vacant big box store, but this doesn't sound like a step forward.)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 23rd, 2017, 8:57 am

Yeah, this sounds like an epic mistake.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » March 23rd, 2017, 7:52 pm

I have not seen the plans yet, but the city should release them ahead of the hearing. I believe they are dividing the building, with a charter school facing 28th Ave on the east side and maintaining retail on the west side. I am hopeful that the city can capitalize on this development improve the pedestrian and bicycle realm in this location and promote/brand the Downtown Longfellow district.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 4th, 2017, 3:30 pm

The plans for the old Rainbow are, uh, underwhelming:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 196827.pdf

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm

I'd wager five bucks that this is just the first of numerous submittals for this project -- it appears that the charter school has a very pressing space demand, so in order to sign this tenant, they've needed to accelerate that part of the work ahead of the rest of the project.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the proposed upgrades to the main parking lot never happen, as they're superseded by subsequent plans.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 4th, 2017, 10:16 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the proposed upgrades to the main parking lot never happen, as they're superseded by subsequent plans.
They have already presented plans for a senior living housing development on the north side of the parking lot.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 5th, 2017, 9:50 am

I haven't seen any of those plans. Are they public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » April 8th, 2017, 12:17 pm

More on this site in the Star Tribune today.

http://m.startribune.com/plan-for-forme ... ection=%2F

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 19th, 2017, 1:37 pm

According to Strib journalist Nicole Norfleet, all current tenants have found new locations, including Hop Wong. I will have to get over there soon and ask where they will be moving.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 7:47 am

According to Strib journalist Nicole Norfleet, all current tenants have found new locations, including Hop Wong. I will have to get over there soon and ask where they will be moving.
Hop Wong is moving over onto Chicago Ave., can't quite remember what cross street. I'll have to double check when I walk by there after work today.

In any case, I really hope they do something about all the massive unused parking lots around here. The plans for the old Rainbow building itself I'm somewhat indifferent about so far (it's better than the nothing there now at least :|) but the only thing that ever uses that lot anymore is the few people going to Schooner. Not to mention all the massive waste of space parking lots on the south side of the Target across the street. Nobody ever parks in the Target lot on the corner of Minnehaha/Lake. So much blank asphalt that could be used for something better.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 26th, 2017, 8:34 am

I think Target may have underestimated how many people would take transit to the store when they built it. It would be nice to have an entrance toward Lake to shorten the long walk to the store entrance. Additionally filling in the Minnehaha/Lake corner with street front retail could really add to Downtown Longfellow. Long-term dream I guess, blocked by miles of red tape

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » April 26th, 2017, 8:47 am

^Having worked at that Target for a few years I can tell you an entrance facing Lake isn't very likely. The entire side of the building facing Lake is the backroom and employee office area. Unless they do a major remodel I don't see it happening anytime soon which is too bad. I've heard stories that the City pushed for a reconfigured store facing lake during their last remodel but Target wasn't willing to do it but have seen no evidence to back that up.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 26th, 2017, 10:21 am

Roper wrote about that (3 years ago now, yikes time flies!) http://www.startribune.com/development- ... 247877321/

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 26th, 2017, 10:57 am

I found this:http://www.mncar.org/find-broker/?id=4733 I'm thinking this guy might have at least some connection to the owners of lot? Maybe the charter school in the mall can move to the lot?

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » April 26th, 2017, 10:58 am

I ended up making a late night stop at Hop Wong last Saturday. They are moving to the 2900 block of Chicago Ave. They gave me the specific address, but I don't have it with me. They will still deliver over to Longfellow. I believe they are moving this week, if they haven't already moved.