Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Cub Foods Mixed Use

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Re: Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Cub Foods Mixed Use

Postby minneboom » June 6th, 2019, 8:47 pm

And where is the Min Hi Line connection? With all the development happening in this area, including new public roads, the city have a much better grasp on the public space they want to create.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 7th, 2019, 5:48 am

I get it, we're hardcore urbanists, but not every single building has to be multi-story and mixed use, especially when part of a larger vision that does include two apartment buildings and lots of other commercial space. Sure, it would be neat if they put a floor of office space above it, but adding apartments (there would be just a few units per floor) would likely not pencil out. And there's the overhead powerline.
Definitely true about the hard-core urbanist. I did not realize just how small the piece of land was. As long as the restaurant building faces 46, and comes directly up to the sidewalk, which according to the rendering it will, then I am happy.

Did phase 2 ever go before the planning commission? According to the postop thread, there was a meeting at the community level back in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulad

Postby mulad » June 22nd, 2019, 8:01 pm

I saw a worker pulling cling film off of the windows up on the 4th floor above the 46th & Snelling Cub entrance this morning, so they're getting close to done with the apartments.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » December 31st, 2019, 9:35 am

Erik the Red closing downtown and moving to Lowa46.

http://www.startribune.com/downtown-min ... 566596221/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 31st, 2019, 11:11 am

There's a little more info on the restaurant website, including the proposed opening date of late summer or early fall 2020, and a note that construction on the 46th St to Minnehaha Parkway section of the bike trail is also planned for summer 2020.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

hiawather
Metrodome

Postby hiawather » February 10th, 2020, 3:13 pm

There's a little more info on the restaurant website, including the proposed opening date of late summer or early fall 2020, and a note that construction on the 46th St to Minnehaha Parkway section of the bike trail is also planned for summer 2020.
I can all but officially announce that the restaurant will barely make the fall 2020 deadline, if at all. The reason I know this is because I want it to open so very, very badly and I have 'the curse'.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 8th, 2020, 8:35 am

Footings for the two new high voltage towers were poured in March with the new towers going up over the past week. The first is immediately WSW of the Lowa46 Cub Foods main entrance, with the second at the far SW corner of the open lot, adjacent to the new Reuter Walton development happening at 4757 Hiawatha Ave (old Bridgeman's). This will allow them to take down the existing steel structures in the Cub parking lot and alley by the strip mall, and in the middle of the open lot further south (where a 2nd apartment building is planned).

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » May 9th, 2020, 7:38 am

It seems like along Hiawatha Ave would be the ideal location, but that would require relocating a lot more towers.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 15th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Phase II details: https://longfellow.org/2020/05/15/devel ... R6BSXAEogM

5 stories, 141 units, 125 parking stalls, spring 2021 groundbreaking planned.

There’s a link to preliminary plans on that LCC page.

I'm surprised there's no vehicular access to the site from within the existing Cub parking lot (all car access is via the alley on the ease side of the side, with an additional south access directly to Nawadaha Blvd. I wish they could consolidate that somehow...I don't love the driveway and alley off Nawadaha being so close. I suppose the city could ban parking on Nawadaha to improve sightlines for peds & bikes navigating that street.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 12th, 2020, 10:10 am

Phase II is going before the Planning Commission next Monday, with plans to break ground in Spring.

Lowa46 Phase II
Finance & Commerce *UNLOCKED*

mulad

Postby mulad » March 13th, 2022, 3:45 pm

The Minnehaha Cub Foods at this location has made some fairly frustrating changes since they started operating. The north entrance at the corner of 46th and Snelling only had one self-checkout lane in the beginning, and it was eventually torn out and replaced by a Cub Pharmacy with no regular checkout option (I think that was about a year after opening). While the doors are open on the corner, effectively everyone has to go through the parking lot entrance in order to access carts.

More recently, the small Caribou Coffee stand was closed (last summer?) and has largely been ripped out (late last year?). There had been a few tables for seating by the windows along Snelling, but those were recently removed to add space for a few more aisles of groceries, which unfortunately are almost entirely composed of sodas and energy drinks.

They'd always been bad about keeping the door next to the Caribou stand open during business hours, and it got blocked for a long time with pallets of food items in the COVID era. I'm fairly worried they'll give up on maintaining the parklet space just outside, though I'm not sure if that's the responsibility of Cub or the building or what.

Handheld shopping baskets and the smaller dual-basket shopping carts have also been disappearing from this store. According to Racket, baskets have been stolen from the Uptown Cub, so I suppose the same happened here. But are people stealing the smaller shopping carts too?
https://racketmn.com/what-happened-to-t ... ptown-cub/

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Midway cub has next to no baskets too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 11th, 2022, 11:22 am

Phase II must be getting ready to break ground. Some equipment showed up a few weeks ago and the silt fencing went up in the past couple of days.
1DBE5532-7233-49B1-BFB0-BBC4B63A282A_1_105_c.jpeg
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 28th, 2022, 11:57 am

Phase 2 is very much underway.

In retrospect, I'm kinda sad the phase 2 apartment building won't have any retail space, specifically with retail frontage along the south end of Cub's parking lot. It would be kinda suburban-feeling in terms of land use / vibes, but having this huge <50% utilized surface parking lot there would seem to support some additional retail/restaurant users. A suburban-lite land use pattern with ample parking might be the secret sauce to attracting some much needed quick-service restaurants to this part of town, which is currently a black hole as far as Chipotles and such goes. Having retail facing this existing parking lot certainly wouldn't make this area any less urban, and frankly it would be preferable to ground level units or a fitness room facing the parking lot.

Sidebar: Does anyone have any insider info on how this Cub is doing? It's never that busy, in the way that every full-scale Cub location is (e.g. HiLake, Nicollet & 60th, etc.)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 2nd, 2023, 1:35 pm

Phase 2 is apparently called Beck46.

https://thedevelopmenttracker.com/mpls/project/beck46

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 2nd, 2023, 5:30 pm

Where it’s at

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 3rd, 2023, 9:37 am

Where it’s at
Sorry for the snark... but phase 2 is just south of Lowa46 (phase 1) - at 46th & Hiawatha - literally in the title of the thread.
The link above your post has a map included too, but here's a Google map screen grab as well. If you're familiar with the Dairy Queen near Minneahaha Park it's just behind (west) of there as well. Its entrance will be off Nawadaha between the alley and the new Shale apartment building that opened in 2021.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 3rd, 2023, 9:57 am

Where it’s at
Sorry for the snark... but phase 2 is just south of Lowa46 (phase 1) - at 46th & Hiawatha - literally in the title of the thread.
The link above your post has a map included too, but here's a Google map screen grab as well. If you're familiar with the Dairy Queen near Minneahaha Park it's just behind (west) of there as well. Its entrance will be off Nawadaha between the alley and the new Shale apartment building that opened in 2021.

Pretty sure that wasn't a question about the location, but just a Beck fan enjoying the name.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 3rd, 2023, 10:05 am

ah my LowaBeck is killing me
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 3rd, 2023, 10:15 am

Where it’s at

I wonder when they're going to develop that lil green triangle to the west of Lowa