Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Cub Foods Mixed Use

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
kdo5581
Block E

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby kdo5581 » September 27th, 2018, 10:14 am

We can surely dream!

twincitizen

Re: The Capp - 46th & Hiawatha Mixed Use

Postby twincitizen » October 4th, 2018, 8:17 am

This project is already topped out. I'm guessing they'll have it enclosed by winter.

While I'm glad it won't be named "The Capp", what the hell is Lowa46? https://lowa46.com/

Lo = Longfellow
Wa = ??

cnelson
City Center

Re: The Capp - 46th & Hiawatha Mixed Use

Postby cnelson » October 4th, 2018, 9:05 am

LOngfellow-HiaWAtha??

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Re: Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Mixed Use Cub Foods

Postby Tiller » October 4th, 2018, 1:46 pm

The url looks like "Iowa46.com" 😁

Do people actually get paid to design bad branding, or does this happen to save money? What degree do I need to string acronyms together? 🤔

twincitizen

Re: Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Mixed Use Cub Foods

Postby twincitizen » October 22nd, 2018, 4:50 pm

Longfellow N'hood holding a meeting about Phase II: https://www.facebook.com/events/305501630037743/
Thursday, November 1st
6:00-7:30 p.m.
Hiawatha School Recreation Center, 4305 E 42nd St.

Does that make this one Lowa48?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Lowa46 - 46th & Hiawatha Cub Foods Mixed Use

Postby Anondson » October 22nd, 2018, 7:25 pm

Oh man, LoWa48 (Lower 48) is too good.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Cub opens on May 2.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 26th, 2019, 10:35 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » May 2nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Thanks for linking to that. I moved into the neighborhood in late March, so this will probably become my normal grocery, with the Lunds across the river in Highland Park as my secondary option.

I hadn't thought about how they'd do checkout for the corner entrance at 46th & Snelling until someone asked. I stopped in this morning, and they have one self-checkout machine for that entrance, vs. 3 manned cashier lanes and 5 self-checkouts for the entrance to the parking lot.

The store still felt pretty big, even though it's small for a Cub. The interior kind of reminds me of the newest Hy-Vee in Rochester along West Circle Drive, though that's basically just because of the concrete floor, modern refrigerator cases, and nothing being banged up yet.

hiawather
Metrodome

Postby hiawather » May 3rd, 2019, 8:33 pm

So...given the 'For Lease' sign on the remaining ground floor space, I gather this has been definitively cancelled...but I can't find any mention of this after early 2018. Does anyone know what happened to Chef Eric Harcey's plan to open a restaurant in what was at that time called the Capp?

https://growlermag.com/chef-erick-harce ... estaurant/

http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... -the-capp/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 4th, 2019, 11:33 am

I’m pretty sure I remember reading that he left the Twin Cities to run a restaurant in North Branch or something. Safe to say that the fancy restaurant plan here is dead for now.

Edit: Cambridge, same difference

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 4th, 2019, 2:56 pm

And I've heard that restaurant, and the store in which it resides, is worth a day trip.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 7th, 2019, 1:26 pm

If it's Willard's, I'd recommend against it, whether the food is good or not. Two people, including chef Bradley Day, formerly of the Hewing hotel are working there. The chef having been fired for sexual assault amongst other things.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 8th, 2019, 4:07 am

Did a Facebook live video at the cub store the other day. Check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/quinn.haberl/v ... =i&sfns=mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » May 8th, 2019, 7:17 am

So...given the 'For Lease' sign on the remaining ground floor space, I gather this has been definitively cancelled...but I can't find any mention of this after early 2018. Does anyone know what happened to Chef Eric Harcey's plan to open a restaurant in what was at that time called the Capp?

https://growlermag.com/chef-erick-harce ... estaurant/

http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... -the-capp/
Regarding the For Lease signs in the existing building, the restaurant wasn't ever planned to go in that space, it was planned for the second building that hasn't been constructed yet. From the Messenger article:

"The new 4,000-foot, one-story restaurant building (illustration right provided by Oppidan) with outdoor seating will be located on the northwest slice of the property, between the extension of Snelling Ave. and the railroad tracks."

Still not sure what the current plans are for the restaurant.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 8th, 2019, 7:52 am

I’m all for a restaurant, but why on earth couldn’t you at least put some apartments above it. Being so close to the A-line and 46 street station, I’m not too thrilled about the idea of a single use building.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » May 9th, 2019, 7:46 am

I think there is an issue with the power lines overhead right at that spot where the restaurant building would go that prevents it from going any higher. There was talk about maybe being able to move the lines or use a different support for them, but not sure it was doable at a price that the developers were comfortable with.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

That makes sense.

Totally radical proposal, don’t even know if it’s possible, but could they wrap the restaurant in apartments? That would mean there would be no natural light going into the restaurant, but at least you would have more than one use.

Another thought, as a way of dealing with the lack of natural light, will be using a slanted roof with some sort of transparent glass. The glass would provide lighting from the top, and The slanted roof would allow snow to not accumulate in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 9th, 2019, 2:28 pm

It's not a huge site. It was only going to be a 4,000 sq. ft. restaurant (plus outdoor patio space).

I get it, we're hardcore urbanists, but not every single building has to be multi-story and mixed use, especially when part of a larger vision that does include two apartment buildings and lots of other commercial space. Sure, it would be neat if they put a floor of office space above it, but adding apartments (there would be just a few units per floor) would likely not pencil out. And there's the overhead powerline issue.

At this point, phase II of the apartments (see discussion upthread) are likely to happen sooner than this restaurant building.

One thing I did not realize about Phase I was how much non-Cub commercial space there is along 46th Street. It looks like there are possibly 3-4 retail bays along 46th, east of the corner entrance for Cub. I originally thought Cub would take up most of that frontage with maybe one separate retail space. That's gonna take a while to lease up...probably more than the area can support at the moment, at least until the adjacent liquor store and car repair shop at 46/Minnehaha get redeveloped with additional housing.

twincitizen

Re: Hiawatha-Minnehaha Ave Development & RR Corridor/Grain Elevators

Postby twincitizen » June 6th, 2019, 6:57 pm

The 5 way intersection at the Snelling Ave extension is a real mess too.
Agreed! There's no need for that alley along BK's parking lot. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have this happen...
I emailed this to CM Andrew Johnson today, including your image.