Sons of Norway block redevelopment - 1455 Lake St W

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Sons of Norway block redevelopment - 1455 Lake St W

Postby grant1simons2 » August 27th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Another museum without many windows...

Palmetto
Block E

Postby Palmetto » September 6th, 2017, 7:54 am

http://www.citypages.com/news/best-in-c ... /442823923 "Best in class" apartments coming to Uptown. "The Sons of Norway building on West Lake Street in Uptown will be razed, replaced with a mixed-use development that features retail space below multiple stories of high-end rentals."

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 6th, 2017, 9:45 am

Competing with Greystar, huh? Hope that means concrete construction and a break in the 6-story monotony.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 6th, 2017, 10:49 am

It's weird to have that piece be mostly about the viability of whether or not luxury apartments can sell here (and lol at that term shifting from how CP/etc usually use it to now mean the ultra-luxe). Like, I get it, purchased single-family homes are a different sub-market for folks beyond their 20s than nice rented apartments (and part of that is due to the incentives we give to buying). But even still, we don't need to wonder if wealthier older people, maybe even those with kids, will co-mingle with all the 20s bros in Uptown. Rich people are buying $500k-$1m homes a block south of the SoN lot today! They eat at Lucia's and walk the lakes just fine. Some people even buy $4-500k townhomes, or $300k condos.

This site is big enough that the developer could fit some concrete condos/upscale apartments on one part, slap some wood-framed walk-up units wrapping a 6-story apartment building toward the back for those with a lower budget, and still have room for office/retail space along Lake.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 6th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I can't fathom why any developer (especially big leaguers like Ryan) would talk to City Pages. Hang up the phone!

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » September 7th, 2017, 6:47 pm

I agree that I think the format can work. I live in what is the only newer condo building on the north side of the midtown greenway between Hennepin & Lyndale (all others are rental) and we have a very diverse mix of homeowners. We have several couples that are retired and have cabins up north and a condo here in the city. We have younger (late 20s) single folks, 40 something couples, a few babies and kids in the community all a block off of Lake street. It's awesome to have this diversity as my neighbor across the hall is in her late 70s, retired, very active in the arts community and a great neighbor to have to let in repair folks during the day while I'm at work! :)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 13th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Lisa Bender just shared on Facebook that Ryan Cos and Weidner are hosting an open house tomorrow 9/14, 4-6pm at the Sons of Norway Building:
Ryan Companies and Weidner Apartment homes, in cooperation with Sons of Norway, are excited to continue their community outreach with a neighbor open house to discuss their proposed redevelopment of the Sons of Norway property. Their goal is to create an active, mixed use project that is anchored by a newly envisioned Sons of Norway office space, featuring retail, green space, and Uptown's newest premium residential community. They would like to gather feedback from the community on the current conditions in the area and other key concepts that they should keep in mind as the project completes its conceptual design work. Ryan Companies representatives will be at the open house to show some initial site plans and to gather additional feedback about current site conditions so that this feedback can be incorporated into architectural concept plans.
Full architectural concept plans for the project are still under development and will be presented at upcoming ECCO Livability community meetings and to the City of Minneapolis Committee of the Whole in late September or October.
I very likely cannot attend. Can anyone go and take some notes & photos?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 14th, 2017, 8:18 am

I was going to try to make it, but it might be toward the tail end. Gonna push them to go with my vision for the Calhoun Square block :) In all seriousness, I'd like to see them push the envelope along Lake St given the surrounding context. It's too bad the Mozaic Phase 3(?) office building isn't completed to give Ryan Cos a little more confidence in the Uptown office market.

I'll snap some pics and post them when I get the chance, or maybe have someone without a locked-down twitter account post as well.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 14th, 2017, 10:23 am

Push it!!

I may try to stop by on the way home.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » September 14th, 2017, 9:05 pm

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 15th, 2017, 7:27 am

A few other relevant tweets/threads...
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/908457971918737408
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/908462151681142784
https://twitter.com/WedgeLIVE/status/908465053002797056

So to recap what those pictures don't necessarily show (and, I showed up very late so may have a bit of this wrong):

- Along Lake would be two separate structures. The one along Humboldt would likely have a restaurant (but they're not 100% certain on this yet), with residential above it and moving south along Humboldt. The larger structure along Lake would have SoN offices on the ground floor and maybe second level, with 5-6 stories of housing above it (I thought I hears them say 7 stories total?). Basically no other office space.
- Along Holmes would be one structure with 3 different massings, scaling down a bit toward the southern end of the block. It's R4 down there which allows 4 stories or 56 ft, they're looking at 4-5 stories on the southern portion. R4 obviously needs some major variances on FAR and lot size per unit to get at the densities shown.
- Developer stressed that the northern half of the block is zoned C3A, which allows everything they're proposing and more, but they wanted to scale back the massing on the ground to get more open space/public-private amenities and somewhat trade that for a bit more density on the southern portion of the site.

Depending on your view on the world, this meeting was either: 1) a really good showing of a developer working with people who live almost exclusively within a couple hundred feet of the site to mitigate impacts, or 2) a shady-ish backroom meeting where a select group of wealthy homeowners get to influence housing outside the typical political process in exchange for a bit of support (or lack of fight). The developer is obviously free to talk to whoever they want and design the project however they see fit to go forward to our complicated approvals process. It's just odd that concerned neighbors and the city spent so much effort on a small area plan that designates spots like this for growth, small as they may be (it's really weird that this block has any R4 instead of entirely C3A!!), only to have people come out with concerns about what you can build even under that plan.

Anyway, hundreds of housing units are good. The concepts for the open space seem nice. Bit disappointed in the overall vision, so Ackerberg better deliver on the CS lot.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 28th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Plans from CoW: http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 205252.pdf

Seems generally good at first glance?

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Hmm.... it looks very... sturdy.
There are a lot of things I really like though. The detail on the eastern part of the lake street front is really nice and the southern portion has some really great design cues.

That turret though... I think it's mostly the color/ material that turns me off. Everything else is so demure and that is garish. I'd like to see it either in a natural stone color or like a true hue... make it a little more fun and uptown...

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » September 28th, 2017, 5:23 pm

I wouldn't say i love it but definitely don't hate it. Its more original than all of the other recent 6 story buildings that have gone up in uptown. I do wish it felt more cohesive... it looks like its mixing architectural styles in an odd/random way. The actual materials used on this one will have a big impact, especially for the turret (that's not the proper term but i don't know what else to call it...).

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » September 28th, 2017, 7:03 pm

My fav rendering Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2017, 7:39 pm

uptown067 wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 5:23 pm
(that's not the proper term but i don't know what else to call it...).
Dryer bin?

Palmetto
Block E

Postby Palmetto » September 28th, 2017, 8:09 pm

I can't lie, I really like it. The materials look solid and I think the round building is a nice touch.

alexschief
Union Depot

Postby alexschief » September 28th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Love the scale. Love 326 units. Not a huge fan of 327 parking stalls, but that does come to less than 1/unit because some portion of those spots are intended for SoN employees.

The turret though, was this designed by Michael Graves' ghost? Looks like they were inspired by the Kjeungskjær Lighthouse. I'd have preferred they took inspiration from a stave church. The way they have a different material for each facade is bold, my gut tells me it won't look good, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Hoping this design gets refined a bit.

Anondson
Capella Tower

Postby Anondson » September 28th, 2017, 9:53 pm

This will be quite fine.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » September 29th, 2017, 6:27 am

alexschief wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 9:01 pm
The turret though, was this designed by Michael Graves' ghost? Looks like they were inspired by the Kjeungskjær Lighthouse.
Haha my exact first thought. Low and behold, the have it as a precedent image. Massing is solid. Good density. Color is maybe not my favorite. Other than that, throw it up.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”