Arby’s Island

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Seth
Metrodome

Re: Arby’s Island

Postby Seth » June 6th, 2018, 9:30 am

A sign on top would be a fun way to signify that you're entering Uptown, much in the same way the theater does when driving down Hennepin.
arbyssite.jpg

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 6th, 2018, 10:16 am

I like it

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » June 6th, 2018, 10:21 am

They should put the old Arby's sign on top of it.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 6th, 2018, 11:14 am

A neon (uh, LED?) sign on top should be a condition of approval. Neighborhood character and such...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 6th, 2018, 11:58 am

Good concept for place making! The Calhoun sign and target field station sign are great landmarks, I think the city should be open to such things.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Arby’s Island

Postby Multimodal » June 6th, 2018, 12:55 pm

An iconic sign on a dull building—that would be keeping with the Arby’s ethos.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » June 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Has Reuter ever built anything with curved walls before? Is this a milestone?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 6th, 2018, 8:37 pm

1. Reuter Walton built WaHu in Stadium Village, it doesn't have curved walls but is over 6 stories.

2. Realistically we all knew that this was going to be a 5 over 1 building from the beginning and just dreaming about something bigger/better. To me the problem is that there is no better piece of real estate in Uptown to build anything bigger or more dense.

3. The sign idea is great. There has to be something in this proposal that serves an clear entrance to Uptown it doesn't matter if it's the building it's self or a something else. While the current proposal certainly isn't a gateway a sign or something similar could be. Let's just hope that the powers that be insist on something better than Minneapolis Mediocre

4. We call this Arby's Island for a reason. While there has been massive steps forward to connecting this parcel to Uptown, and LynLake for that matter, it still kinds feels like it is out on it's own with the massive parking lots to the north and east.

Bob Stinson's Ghost
Landmark Center

Postby Bob Stinson's Ghost » June 6th, 2018, 8:50 pm

I'm dying to know if the curved area will be clad by specially fabricated curved cement board panels. This design is crying out for cement board.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » June 6th, 2018, 9:21 pm

I'm dying to know if the curved area will be clad by specially fabricated curved cement board panels. This design is crying out for cement board.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 7th, 2018, 7:02 am

That rendering has a couple good ideas in it. Green the porkchop and install human-scale traffic signals.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Lisa I. RoadBot
City Center

Postby Lisa I. RoadBot » June 7th, 2018, 9:33 am

This is my first post- long time listener, first time caller, so to speak-
But I have to weigh in here, Uptown has been my neighborhood off and on for 30+ years, i am compelled to comment on another prime site falling to mediocrity.... We were ripped off on The Nicollet Hotel site- easily amused, I was all in on the Duval proposal.
Now here- what a poor use of the Arby's site- a site crying for architectural creativity, falling prey to penny pinching, moneymaking pablum.
Sorry to interject so strongly in my forum infancy, but the only way to dress up this pig is three more floors in tiers fading to the west, and perhaps pseudo- New Orleans style wrought iron balconies.... I told you, easily amused...
Hello, everyone, BTW, respect to you all!

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 7th, 2018, 9:46 am

This is my first post- long time listener, first time caller, so to speak-
But I have to weigh in here, Uptown has been my neighborhood off and on for 30+ years, i am compelled to comment on another prime site falling to mediocrity.... We were ripped off on The Nicollet Hotel site- easily amused, I was all in on the Duval proposal.
Now here- what a poor use of the Arby's site- a site crying for architectural creativity, falling prey to penny pinching, moneymaking pablum.
Sorry to interject so strongly in my forum infancy, but the only way to dress up this pig is three more floors in tiers fading to the west, and perhaps pseudo- New Orleans style wrought iron balconies.... I told you, easily amused...
Hello, everyone, BTW, respect to you all!
No need to apologize, you're preaching to the choir!

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 7th, 2018, 9:55 am

I might have just sent that image to Reuter Walton Development.

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » June 7th, 2018, 10:06 am

I might have just sent that image to Reuter Walton Development.
Great! Did you also ask them to give this building a little more personality? ;)

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 7th, 2018, 10:22 am

I did not, I focused on the sign.

But hey, I think if multiple people write in about this, they'd probably be more likely to consider it, since it would mean their project has a groundswell of support. And if some of those people commented on the built form at the same time, maybe they'd think on that as well?

It's worth a shot. Ever since Bapster reached out to TC&W and the company president replied to him about SWLRT, I've been reaching out with thoughts more often. Worst thing that happens is no one responds.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 7th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Packet http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 211558.pdf

I thought this image was neat:
CaptureG.JPG

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » June 7th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Yeah, the whole 'island' thing; as someone suggested might not be all that appealing to actually live there.

I suspect there might be some perceived risk with this site which precludes a developer from going too bold...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Lmao lets try and put some walk up studios on Lake St and get away with it... Ok.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » June 7th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Woof. Outside of kinda cool curved wall following Lagoon there is exactly zero to be really excited about in this project. The first floor has a bunch of doors but who is going to want to live at street level facing Lake St, at least they have private terraces I guess. The retail at Lake and Lagoon is destioned to be an AT &T or Verizon store, that's not the worst thing ever. It would be great if the city could find away to make them go back to the drawing board but I doubt they can find a reason to stand up court.

As it was mentioned above taking the curved part to 8 or 9 stories at Lake & Lagoon and having it step down to 5 at Emerson would great improve this project. Also if the Verizon and Mattress Firm buildings were redeveloped it make the island feel so much more connected to both LynLake and Uptown.