Arby’s Island

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Arby’s Island

Postby amiller92 » February 21st, 2018, 9:39 am

We don't have any like Europe, but we've got lots of public square type places - they just happen to be next to water or another amenity. Peavey Plaza, for one, but the pavilion at Minnehaha Falls, the beaches and Tin Fish (did the branding change?) at Lake Calhoun, St. Anthony Main, Target Field Plaza and even the government center plaza.

But I know what you mean, we could make a public place in the heart of Uptown, which has some appeal. On the other hand, it's likely be continue to be surrounded on three sides by speeding, one-way cars which would significantly undermine it's utility as a hang out place. And we desperately need housing, so on net I'd choose housing.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 13th, 2018, 3:22 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ml?ana=twt
The Uptown Arby’s closed recently and Supervalu owns that property. What is Supervalu planning to do there?

Yeah, we thought [Arby's] would extend the lease, so it was new information to us. And it's a really great site. So, we’re evaluating options right now.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » March 14th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I thought they owned part of that site. Was Arby's just renting?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 14th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Yes, Arby’s was renting. Their lease was coming up, and wanted to sign a new 10-year lease to stay. Supervalu wouldn’t give them a 10-year lease, so instead of agreeing to a shorter lease term Arby’s made the decision to walk away.

As for why Arby’s would not sign a 1 year or 3 year lease (or whatever term Supervalu was offering), I’m guessing the store badly needed a major remodel, and Arby’s wasn’t willing to put that kind of money up if they had no guarantee of sticking around long enough to earn the money back.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 4th, 2018, 2:35 pm

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » June 4th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Reuter Walton coming in hot with 170 units and "a fair amount of parking." $45 million.

https://finance-commerce.com/2018/06/re ... rbys-site/

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 4th, 2018, 2:39 pm

I C O N I C

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 4th, 2018, 2:53 pm

170 units

"We’re expecting upwards of 90 percent of the units will have a parking stall"

Why temper your statement to "fair amount of parking" when you're basically planning for every unit to have a space?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 4th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Boy, something twice as tall (and with a bit more breathing room at the street level) would have fit really nicely here.

I'm glad to see it developed, obviously, but I think we all would have been shocked if it had been anything less than 6-story stick. That was the bare minimum level expectation here (which in general is a good thing for our city's growth). This project is basically boilerplate development for Uptown, just on a unique site, leading to the curved building, etc. Not exactly anything special.

Note: The draft Comp Plan allows up to 10 stories here.

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » June 4th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Why temper your statement to "fair amount of parking" when you're basically planning for every unit to have a space?
I'm guessing not much thought went into that statement. A <1.0 parking ratio actually seemed impressive to me, especially for Uptown. When I was looking at downtown parking ratios for a paper last fall, almost everything was above 1.0.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I think it's cute! I like the curved walls and sleek appearance quite a lot. Nothing gimmicky. Granted I could go for something ground breaking and with height on every underutilized lot, but this looks nice. The true test for me is that it's basically 360 degrees of retail on the ground floor.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 4th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Sorry, 4000 ft.² of retail total

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 4th, 2018, 8:08 pm

I don't know if all 3 corners are going to be rounded but the one shown could be cool to have a 2 story glass penthouse on top, and if the other 2 corners were rounded as well they could have have them 2, or even if not. Each with their own patio decks.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm

A little more effort on the materials and this could get a real Florin Court vibe going.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 4th, 2018, 9:32 pm

A landmark it’s not.

What an iconic spot, marred by a completely anonymous, faceless building.

This kind of nothingness building is fine, but it belongs mid-block, as filler, not at a prominent intersection, much less a gateway to a district.

structuralEIT
Block E

Postby structuralEIT » June 4th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Does Reuter Walton ever build non-wood apartment buildings?

While this spot is "iconic" from the outside, I don't think this is that great of a spot to actually live. It's surrounded by busy streets and the neighboring buildings include Cub, a liquor store, the Verizon store, Tires Plus, and the strip mall with CVS and the laundry mat. Eventually the surrounding area will probably be more developed, but right now I'm not sure why anyone would pay a premium for steel/concrete construction here when you could live in luxury apartments a few blocks away either near the greenway or closer to Calhoun.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 5th, 2018, 7:58 am

FYI all: 4,000 sq ft of commercial space isn't much. That's likely just two small storefronts, or one larger restaurant space. The Walkway building has around 12,000 sq ft, all along Girard Ave. FrankLyn has 8,000 sq ft (one large restaurant and one small retail). Sons of Norway has 7,000 sq ft of commercial (in addition to the SoN office space). Even the tiny little project at Hennepin & 32nd had >4,000 sq ft of commercial.

This proposal has 3 "front" facades, so with just 4,000 sq ft of retail, there's inevitably going to be a bunch of inactive frontage. If you're laying out this project, on which side do you put your "service" frontage? UG parking entrance, deliveries, etc. has to access somewhere, and it clearly can't be on the curved side. Do you think that stuff will wind up dominating the Emerson (west) frontage?

Just firing a warning shot that 4,000 sq ft isn't going to occupy much of this project's street frontage. This probably signals that the developer does not have any retail tenants lined up yet, and is therefore proposing a bare minimum amount of retail to make the project acceptable to staff and the Planning Commission. It's difficult to force a developer to build more retail (with no identified tenants), so the alternative is to make the lobby/common/fitness areas engage the sidewalk as much as possible. If they can, I hope staff and the Planning Commission can get the commercial square footage into the 6,000-8,000 range.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » June 5th, 2018, 8:03 am

The triangle island in the middle of the intersection and the sidewalk along the building could use some heavy duty bollards. Not sure how common it is to see cars plow into the existing lot, but seems like the building would be a target for drunk or distracted drivers.

JT$
City Center

Postby JT$ » June 5th, 2018, 9:41 am

Much better than a dirty ol' Arby's!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » June 5th, 2018, 9:48 am

I've checked this image on three different computer screens... is the building pink? pinkish?