Sola Salon Building Site - (3020-3034 Lyndale Avenue South)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown(ish) Goodwill

Postby John » September 27th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Nick wrote:Haven't we figured out that a heavy-use retail parking lot probably shouldn't be located mid-block with no signals on a high traffic street? I'm sure the Wedge has no problem hiring their off duty cop with the money they get from me buying five dollar boxes of granola bars, but that seems like a bit of a waste for Goodwill.
You raise a good point. I think the parking configuration will be modified before this project is approved. BTW , granola bars are almost half that price at Target!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » September 27th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Looks like a pretty classy building. But the site plan is way too auto-oriented for a pedestrian-oriented district. I believe that when the code says "the driveway width for all parking facilities shall not exceed twenty (20) feet of street frontage" the 20' is cumulative, and it looks like that pair of driveways will be close to 20' each. Also I'll be curious as to whether the porte-cochere for drop-offs will be considered one of the "drive-through facilities" that are prohibited in PO districts.

This stuff matters because (a) I don't think a variance has been approved in a PO district that wasn't for an existing condition and (b) this city is far too auto-oriented already and needs strong zoning codes to encourage better conditions for pedestrians.
"Who rescued whom!"

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 28th, 2012, 8:56 am

redisciple wrote:Looks like a pretty classy building. But the site plan is way too auto-oriented for a pedestrian-oriented district. I believe that when the code says "the driveway width for all parking facilities shall not exceed twenty (20) feet of street frontage" the 20' is cumulative, and it looks like that pair of driveways will be close to 20' each. Also I'll be curious as to whether the porte-cochere for drop-offs will be considered one of the "drive-through facilities" that are prohibited in PO districts.

This stuff matters because (a) I don't think a variance has been approved in a PO district that wasn't for an existing condition and (b) this city is far too auto-oriented already and needs strong zoning codes to encourage better conditions for pedestrians.
and (c) this city needs people who give a damn and are enthusiastic about making it a better place to live.....like you. More people like you and others on this forum should work for the city or firms who do this for a living. That, and those jobs should pay the price for people who are willing to make a city a place where everybody wants to be and loves!

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 10:48 am

I don't know much about the Alleys, what business can and can't do with them, but could they possibly direct drop off traffic to the alley? as to minimize their curb cuts? Or is that strictly forbidden?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 28th, 2012, 11:21 am

fotoapparatic wrote:I don't know much about the Alleys, what business can and can't do with them, but could they possibly direct drop off traffic to the alley? as to minimize their curb cuts? Or is that strictly forbidden?
I believe it is forbidden, and it should be. The alleys just aren't built to handle that kind of traffic, and it's not fair to the other neighbors.

(Sorry if I'm repeating myself).

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Totally what I thought. But didn't know :)

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » November 15th, 2012, 10:22 am

Saw something recently about a 2-3 story Goodwill being considered for 60th and Nicollet across from the Cub. Anybody know anything about that?

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » January 7th, 2013, 10:48 am

Archiapolis wrote:Saw something recently about a 2-3 story Goodwill being considered for 60th and Nicollet across from the Cub. Anybody know anything about that?
Yeah, they are no longer considering the Lyn-Lake area, and are now pursuing the 60th and Nicollet location.

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/01/goo ... tore-plan/ (Paywall)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 7th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Wow, I never thought it was an either/or type situation. Those stores would've been almost 5 miles apart and would've had completely separate customer bases. I don't think they would've competed much at all, especially considering the density+hipsters=success equation in LynLake. I can't believe the smugness of the LynLake Business association folks who thought Goodwill wasn't "upscale" enough for the area. The guy who owns that suit shop at 31st & Lyndale (also runs the LynLake Festival) had the balls to tell Goodwill they should be opening one of their fancier "Second Debut" shops instead.

Good for the Nicollet & 60th area though. I know it's just a Goodwill, but a new 2-story bldg is waaay better than a closed Perkins.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 8th, 2013, 8:10 am

I don't know much about Goodwill but I always thought they were kind of seedy or at least a bit grungy myself. I mean, that's where my wife and I drop off the clothes and stuff we don't need or use anymore.

Are they not?

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » January 8th, 2013, 9:46 am

I love Good Will!!!

I got an amazing pair of 60's curved plywood back modern chairs one time $5.00 each, but they were half off that day and I carried them out myself so I got an extra 10% off... Later I looked them up online and they were selling for about $50.00 a piece... Thrift Stores are never glamorous, but there are plenty of people 'just dropping things off' that have no idea what they are dropping off.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 8th, 2013, 11:51 am

I think Goodwill would have been great for Lynn-Lake. I really want that area to maintain some of its retail quirkiness and contrast with the more upscale shopping around Hennepin and Lake.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » February 28th, 2013, 8:33 am

Part of this site is still slated for a commercial building. There is a 'Now Leasing sign/ build-to-suit' sign up in the front yard of the house between HDesign and ZRS Fossils.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 7th, 2013, 10:25 pm

And it looks like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ro6T ... AG0338.jpg

The LynLake Small Area Plan definitely calls for mixed-use and multiple stories (up to 6 / 84') on this block. It specifically mentions adding a provision to the Ped Overlay to have a FAR of 1.0 (floor area ratio) to prevent single story buildings. Anyone know if that action was ever taken by the City?

Obviously this is not an actual proposal, but it's disappointing nonetheless that it would even be considered enough to wind up on a rendering. If I were in the CARAG neighborhood or LynLake Business Association, I'd try to get out in front of this and have the Councilmember get in touch with the property owner and let them know what the community expects. Why even bother tearing down the H-Design building if you're just going to rebuild another single story commercial building? The duplex is rough shape, it could even be vacant. It has a "For Sale" sign in front of it in the Google Street View from 2007.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: H-Design building & duplex site - 3020-3034 Lyndale

Postby Minneboy » April 8th, 2013, 2:20 am

Where have I seen this design before. I know I've seen it somewhere...oh yea...everywhere.

John
Capella Tower

Re: H-Design building & duplex site - 3020-3034 Lyndale

Postby John » April 8th, 2013, 6:58 pm

This site screams high density development to act as a gateway into the Lynn-Lake retail district.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Re: H-Design Building Site - (3020-3034 Lyndale Avenue South

Postby seanrichardryan » September 21st, 2013, 12:31 pm

Giving this a bump. Why are they building am ugly strip mall on a site zoned C3A on busy Lyndale Avenue?

They are still listing the building for lease.

http://www.uplandbrokerage.com/users/le ... ?id=106873
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”