Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
degersblogg
Metrodome

Re: 2316-2320 Colfax Apartments

Postby degersblogg » April 18th, 2014, 12:07 pm

Well, this is the first anyone's heard of it, so I'm not going to take her word at face value, that's for sure.

They may be offering him a price on it as if it were a SFH, whereas he and the realtor have said they're selling it as a rooming house, because that's what it is. And if Lander wants to pay him twice as much as Nicole Curtis does, should he really be compelled to take the lesser offer? That sounds like quite the governmental taking to me.
Compelling the owner to accept a lower offer, if it was even made, is not a reasonable alternative.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » April 18th, 2014, 12:21 pm

She's dangerous to our city.
Definitely. If she is going to use her platform to get people all over the country to flood our CM's with emails on every demolition vote in our city, it will make it even more likely that any emails sent from actual Minneapolitans who support demolition would even get read. It looks like she's going to do the same thing before next week's full council vote.

On the plus side, Lisa Bender doesn't seem to consider any emails from people who don't live in Minneapolis.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 18th, 2014, 12:57 pm

For what it's worth, to "counter" claims that the HPC never allows demolition, they did allow demolition of the Superior Plating site. I haven't dug into it yet, but based on testimony from this building, they allowed it because the building had been skinned, not because the ground is literally filled with poison, which would qualify it pretty easily as a reason to allow demolition (to correct a safety issue).

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 18th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I just read the latest status update from MRRDC thinking it was actually from the parody account MRRSVLD:SUV.

Their ridiculousness has reached self-parody

https://www.facebook.com/MplsRRDC?fref=nf

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » April 18th, 2014, 2:40 pm

I just read the latest status update from MRRDC thinking it was actually from the parody account MRRSVLD:SUV.

Their ridiculousness has reached self-parody

https://www.facebook.com/MplsRRDC?fref=nf
It is completely ridiculous. However, in their ridiculousness I personally believe that they crossed the line on this one. I'm writing a blog post about the vote, as well as my reaction to the reaction.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 18th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Ugh, Nicole Curtis is now calling Mike Crow a slumlord, and is suddenly saying she's offered to buy the property multiple times.
Are you sure she hasn't? I could completely believe she made an offer that Mr. Crow rejected.
On a road trip right now, but Fishmanpet you are being disingenuous. I sent you info on Curtis' offers. I can't get into the nitty gritty details because I don't have that info. They wanted Landers to foot part of the bill for moving the building.

I think this whole mess was a distraction that took the preservationists and urbanists in Minneapolis down a dangerous road. There are homes (yes SFH) that should be saved and sometimes density should prevail. Until both sides come to a realization that their perspective isn't fact, but opinion, we will continue to see unnecessary fights. I guess I shrug my shoulders about the loss of this house.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 18th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Sorry, that's right, you did say that Nicole Curtis was involved in that apparent offer. But to be honest I still don't really believe it, because if there was a legitimate offer on the table, why isn't there actual proof? If someone wanted to save this house, why would they keep it a secret?

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » April 18th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Sorry, that's right, you did say that Nicole Curtis was involved in that apparent offer. But to be honest I still don't really believe it, because if there was a legitimate offer on the table, why isn't there actual proof? If someone wanted to save this house, why would they keep it a secret?
Because it's a private real estate transaction between three parties that didn't pan out. Nothing nefarious.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 18th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Unfortunetly everybody's getting dragged through the mud here, so everything ends up out in the open. Especially if the key issue is what's economically viable,

Has it been stated anywhere what Lander is offering Mike Crow? Because one of the claims I heard at the public hearing is that Lander is offering him far above market value so nobody that wants to buy it as a SFH can compete with that. But Mike and his Realtor claim they're selling it as an apartment, and Mike says he's offered it far below value.

If the difference in value is the difference between what it's worth currently as an SRO and what it would be worth as a SFH, then I say Mike is clearly in the right. He shouldn't have to take a huge financial hit because somebody else wants to convert his multi-family building into a SFH. The onus should be on the person that wants to change the use to pay the fair market apartment value and just eat the instant depreciation when they turn it into a SFH.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » April 18th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Unfortunetly everybody's getting dragged through the mud here, so everything ends up out in the open. Especially if the key issue is what's economically viable,

Has it been stated anywhere what Lander is offering Mike Crow? Because one of the claims I heard at the public hearing is that Lander is offering him far above market value so nobody that wants to buy it as a SFH can compete with that. But Mike and his Realtor claim they're selling it as an apartment, and Mike says he's offered it far below value.

If the difference in value is the difference between what it's worth currently as an SRO and what it would be worth as a SFH, then I say Mike is clearly in the right. He shouldn't have to take a huge financial hit because somebody else wants to convert his multi-family building into a SFH. The onus should be on the person that wants to change the use to pay the fair market apartment value and just eat the instant depreciation when they turn it into a SFH.
I would also add that converting it to a SFH given the R6 zoning is also an unreasonable alternative, from the city's perspective at least.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 20th, 2014, 11:00 pm

My God, they're actually holding a candlelight vigil. I thought that was parody from the parody group, not an actual thing MRRDC was doing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 20th, 2014, 11:04 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 226&type=1

THIS IS NOT YOUR HOME IF IT WAS YOUR HOME THEN YOU WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT!

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 20th, 2014, 11:53 pm

And this is why public comment should be ignored

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2014, 9:48 am

And this is why public comment should be ignored
It shouldn't be ignored, but taken with the proper weight. Public comment can unearth issues the planners didn't think about.

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » April 21st, 2014, 11:21 am

And one of the candles from their vigil accidentally burns the historic house down. That would be the icing on the cake.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 11:27 am

I hope one of the residents calls the police on these clowns for stalking or otherwise threatening behavior.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2014, 11:27 am

People are holding a vigil. So what? Some people have a different opinion than most of us. So what? If they need a mourning process, so be it. I'm not one to judge the feelings of others.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 11:33 am

They're holding a vigil by standing Mike Crow's property, or at least on the sidewalk. Even if the sidewalk is public space I don't think it was made public with the intention of people camping out on it all night without permission.

And there's actual tenants here, I assume they go in and out at times. I wouldn't want a crowd of people outside my window with candles all night, and if I had to leave or something I'd be afraid of being harassed or in some way involved with this stupid thing.

If they were doing this because someone's ex-girlfriend was living in the building, even if it was only to honor and remember her or something, would it still be OK? No, it'd be creepy as hell and I'd call the police in an instant to get these stalkers/harassers off my property. It's just weird and creepy and in no way an acceptable adult thing to do.

David, you wonder why people do things like put snide remarks on planning maps. It's because we're up against nut jobs like this (not to belittle people with legitimate concerns, but these are nutjobs) and sometimes you gotta let off a little steam.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 21st, 2014, 11:37 am

Are they on the property or the sidewalk? That's not the same thing. Even nutjobs have the right to peaceably assemble in public. Unless they're chanting or something this is not harassment.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 21st, 2014, 11:40 am

I guess they're on the sidewalk across the street.

If I lived anywhere in the neighborhood I'd call the damn police. It's just creepy.