Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
t2the_iz_O
Block E

Re: 2316-2320 Colfax Apartments

Postby t2the_iz_O » April 22nd, 2014, 10:14 pm

First time poster.

I find myself on the side of development at the site. But I went to the vigil as I'm interested to hear what the either side had to say. I stood and listened. I winced a few times in response to the speeches. I didn't witness any antagonizing behavior nor did I seek to antagonize anyone. Granted, if approached, I would have expressed my opinions.

I don't think it was a total waste of time. Nice night, good walk, people unable to control their vigil candles, anti-development hysteria. It was a hoot, what with all the anti-Bendrification sentiment.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » April 22nd, 2014, 10:15 pm

Just to watch? That's clearly what the other guys there were doing. It's not like they brought signs or did anything antagonizing (I hope.)
I sure hope not. What's to watch, though? It just seems like a total waste of energy.
Liberals acting like Tea Partiers. I'd like to think I was watching the waste of energy.
Last edited by aeisenberg on April 22nd, 2014, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 22nd, 2014, 10:16 pm

Word on the street is that Meg Tuthill is lobbying councilmembers hard in advance of the full council meeting.

If you haven't already, please email the full city council (no form emails I guess, and probably skip Lisa Goodman) with a note why you are supporting demolition. Personally, I wouldn't think Meg Tuthill would wield much clout following her landslide defeat, especially with the new councilmembers, but I guess she does. I thought this was a done deal following the 5-1 committee vote, but you know what they say, "It ain't over 'til it's over".

Let's finish strong and remind the full council why demolition should be permitted here. There will not be public testimony taken at the full council meeting, but it will likely be well attended. If all goes well, the item won't even be discussed at all. Lisa Bender would just move the entire P&Z Committee agenda as a whole. Councilmembers could cast a "No" vote against this particular item if they felt so inclined. Let's make sure it's 12-1 or 11-2 in favor and move on to bigger and better issues in our City. This one just has to be put to bed.

WestCoastDude
Block E

Postby WestCoastDude » April 22nd, 2014, 10:25 pm

Candle light vigil over a freekin house? I'm from San Francisco and even this would be seen as wacky! These folks are clearly having some kind of religious experience with Saint TP Healy.

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » April 22nd, 2014, 10:34 pm

Word on the street is that Meg Tuthill is lobbying councilmembers hard in advance of the full council meeting.

If you haven't already, please email the full city council (no form emails I guess, and probably skip Lisa Goodman) with a note why you are supporting demolition. Personally, I wouldn't think Meg Tuthill would wield much clout following her landslide defeat, especially with the new councilmembers, but I guess she does. I thought this was a done deal following the 5-1 committee vote, but you know what they say, "It ain't over 'til it's over".

Let's finish strong and remind the full council why demolition should be permitted here. There will not be public testimony taken at the full council meeting, but it will likely be well attended. If all goes well, the item won't even be discussed at all. Lisa Bender would just move the entire P&Z Committee agenda as a whole. Councilmembers could cast a "No" vote against this particular item if they felt so inclined. Let's make sure it's 12-1 or 11-2 in favor and move on to bigger and better issues in our City. This one just has to be put to bed.
I'd think Friday's full council meeting will be very well attended because they're voting on the resolution to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day.

Anton
Block E

Postby Anton » April 22nd, 2014, 10:41 pm

I was one of the guys who talked to spdcheetah. I attended just to see what the crowd was like, and to hear what kinds of arguments the leaders were making (I find the "I even made an offer on the house" argument especially amusing - how much $ was the offer?). My friend was the one who was wrongfully "accused" of being a Whittier resident (seriously!). I recognized lots of Tuthill supporters from the DFL endorsement convention when Meg lost the endorsement to Lisa: these are local homeowners who feel marginalized because they no longer have the same type of ally on the council they once did. It's great that renters now have a voice, as they make up a lion's share of residents in this ward.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 22nd, 2014, 10:41 pm

So here's the interview with her on Fox 9:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25 ... c.facebook

I'm not sure how in one sentence you can say Uptown doesn't need apartment buildings and then the next say that there are plenty of parking lots to build on. Either Uptown doesn't need apartments and who cares if there are empty lots, or Uptown does need apartment buildings but build on parking lots instead. You can't have it both ways.
"We need another apartment building in the Uptown area like we need a hole in the head," Curtis said. "It's already so busy. I get it if we want pro-density, but then let's build on the empty lots we already have."

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 22nd, 2014, 11:02 pm

fishmanpet you are like an ultra troll though and youtend to pride yourself in not being able to look away from disasters... I think you're getting a little carried away. that being said I feel like I made a valid point and got banned because they won't have a conversation... oh well.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 22nd, 2014, 11:14 pm

I do care way too much about this. It's probably not good for my health.

At least I haven't stopped by the vigils (yet?). But I live 2.5 miles away, so I'm sure I'd be lynched for living in another country.

WestCoastDude
Block E

Postby WestCoastDude » April 22nd, 2014, 11:34 pm

I find it amusing that someone was accused of being a "Whittier resident" all the while Anders Christiansen from Kingfield was in attendance leading the brigade.

scttdvd
Block E

Postby scttdvd » April 23rd, 2014, 6:18 am

From CM Yang's FB:
I hate when folks call me names before I even take a vote. The tone in the excerpt below makes me think: "why the heck would I even consider your position." Seriously, a little civility is not too much to ask. Save the name calling until after the vote, please.
Excerpt from an email re: the Orth (TP Healy) home:
"I have no reason to travel to your city or any desire to see Minneapolis with apathetic and hypocritical people like yourselves in charge. There is nothing green about tearing down a historic house just for it to rot in a landfill. Shame on all of you for lying to the public about your stance on 'being green.'"
While I'm at it, I just want to say that the personal attacks on my colleague, CM Lisa Bender, have been utterly stupid. Let's argue the facts, the laws, the policy implications, etc. Let's not make personal attacks on family members. The name calling can be minimized, if not eliminated. I know emotions are high and people feel strongly about their positions. But, please stay classy.
I'd been getting worked up reading all the out-of-state Facebook comments telling Minneapolis that it CANNOT. TEAR. DOWN. THIS. HOUSE. but it looks like Nicole Curtis and MRRDC's efforts are backfiring. No need for urbanists to do anything else, IMO. It's over. On to the next one.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2014, 6:43 am

Looks like that's one more "yes", then.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 23rd, 2014, 7:00 am

It's just so strange to me that Nicole Curtis and Meg Tuthill waited so long to get involved in this issue. For Nicole Curtis to flood councilmembers inboxes late the night before the committee vote was a huge swing and miss. And now Tuthill lobbying the council after a 5-1 committee vote...I'm guessing she was expecting the committee vote to go differently or something.

Compared to Nicole Curtis and the MRRDC folks, Anders Christensen actually seems like a pretty decent guy. He seems a bit full of himself at times, but I've never witnessed him being rude. His specific obsession with Healy houses does seem borderline unhealthy, but a lot of my habits/obsessions would probably appear that way as well (i.e. posting on this website). I hope he continues to work at seeing other Healy houses preserved/restored, whether historically significant or not.

All in all, I'm just ready for this to be over. This is a really petty thing for everyone involved to be spending so much time and energy on. There are bigger fish to fry in this city, and far more important public hearings to attend and email councilmembers about (i.e. Hennepin-Lyndale bottleneck, SWLRT municipal consent issues, bike-walk infrastructure and maintenance issues all over the city, heck even just taking 5 minutes to report a pothole on 311 is more important than this damn house)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2014, 7:40 am

Heh. The MRRDC dumped a wall 'o text on the FB page saying that, despite rumors that have been going around, they are NOT an anti-development group. I can't imagine why anyone would think that.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 23rd, 2014, 7:50 am

Well right, they support development...on vacant lots in North Minneapolis...or something, according to Nicole Curtis. Economic reality be damned. Haven't you heard that they have "welcomed" over 1500 units in Lowry Hill East recently? (Or was it actually just that they had no way of fighting those developments along the Greenway?)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2014, 7:59 am

I'll be interested to see if they jump on the hysteria bandwagon next time something gets proposed for Dinkytown, or if they admit that they actually only care about their specific slice of the city.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

anders
Block E

Postby anders » April 23rd, 2014, 9:19 am

I find it amusing that someone was accused of being a "Whittier resident" all the while Anders Christiansen from Kingfield was in attendance leading the brigade.
I find it disturbing that formal neighborhood of residence should ever be seen as a valid way to define who does and doesn't have a perceived right to speak on issues (like those surrounding growth, preservation, etc.) that affect a larger group than just those residing in a small polygon on an administrative map.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » April 23rd, 2014, 11:11 am

Also, someone recorded some footage from the vigil of a speech from Nicole Curtis. I think she makes a few questionable statements (TIL: in Europe, no old buildings are torn down ever, to be replaced with new green ones). Perhaps worth a little more dissection, just to see what new arguments will be brought up from the preservationist side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0emtcpD_Q

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 23rd, 2014, 11:54 am

Love how she accuses Lander of not having developed the lot by the Calhoun Beach Club, ignoring the neighborhood group's role in delaying, modifying, and making it less financially feasible. Nicole Curtis has an obsession with single-family occupancy, and that's fine that it's her world-view that if 100% of people owned homes society would be better (I disagree, despite my current homeownership status and pending offer on a home in Mpls). She even writes into her renovation sale agreements that 1) the home will always be owner-occupied, and 2) the home can never be torn down. I'm glad she's willing to limit her potential market (and profit) by doing so; again, her prerogative.

I have to say, reading comments on streets articles, hearing the vocal ones made, etc by preservationists, it's hard to say they're less "black and white" than non-preservationists (ie, harder to reason with and find any middle ground). Their language is hard and absolute (ex. "there is nothing green about tearing down homes") with no room for negotiation using other factors (total life cycle analysis, alternate scenarios of energy use and land-use change without intensification, potential re-use of any house materials, long-term affordability, positive feedback loops from intensification, etc).

anders
Block E

Postby anders » April 23rd, 2014, 12:02 pm

Also, someone recorded some footage from the vigil of a speech from Nicole Curtis. I think she makes a few questionable statements (TIL: in Europe, no old buildings are torn down ever, to be replaced with new green ones). Perhaps worth a little more dissection, just to see what new arguments will be brought up from the preservationist side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0emtcpD_Q
I live in Germany at the moment and just today was watching a relatively older building be torn down for the construction of a new one. And I also noticed down the block that an older house had been demolished for new housing. Doesn't really matter, obviously, but you can see how superficial these arguments are (that was a hard video to watch). Honestly, this whole debacle is giving preservation a bad name.