Motiv Apartments - 2320 Colfax Avenue S

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 2316-2320 Colfax Apartments

Postby mister.shoes » April 24th, 2014, 11:24 am

I've watched her show a couple times. While she does mention that she works on MPLS houses, she doesn't really brag about how awesome MPLS is. One particular episode I recall was working on a house around 37th and Lyndale or so. It was winter and a really crappy winter at that and they kept talking about how hard it was to work on a house that didn't have its heating system fully functional. Awesome.

I do know (with 90% confidence, anyway) that she redid the house on the NE corner of Lyndale and Minnehaha Pkwy. It's an absolutely gorgeous house from the outside, and while I cannot remember the specifics of the inside, it'd be really hard to screw that one up, given with what she was almost certainly starting.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 24th, 2014, 12:20 pm

A house she renovated on 3rd and 31st St. often has overgrown grass and is now somewhat unkempt looking generally. I guess single family homeownership isn't always a slam dunk for property maintenance.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 24th, 2014, 1:28 pm

A house she renovated on 3rd and 31st St. often has overgrown grass and is now somewhat unkempt looking generally. I guess single family homeownership isn't always a slam dunk for property maintenance.
WHAT!?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 24th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Apparently Ms. Curtis is considering litigation after tomorrow's inevitable outcome.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 24th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Apparently Ms. Curtis is considering litigation after tomorrow's inevitable outcome.
Over what!?! Do you have a link to a story that talks about this?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 24th, 2014, 5:38 pm

this could go in stress relief... but I'll leave it right here...

http://m.imgur.com/nyMaUyf

degersblogg
Metrodome

Postby degersblogg » April 24th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Plus side of a potential lawsuit is that the judge may rule that the HPC acted illegally when they denied demolition.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 24th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Didn't Meg Tuthill run a balloon shop at one point?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 24th, 2014, 7:25 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! THAT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE FUNNIEST PICTURES I'VE SEEN IN A WHILE.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » April 25th, 2014, 9:07 am

Brilliant!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2014, 9:21 am

We're live right now: http://minneapolis.implex.net/video.htm

EDIT: And it's over folks

Aye:
Bender
Pres Johnson
A Johnson
Reich
Warsame
Frey
Palmisano
Cano
Gordon
Glidden
Quincy

No:
Goodman
Yang

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 25th, 2014, 9:29 am

It was pretty reasonable, one thing I'm really happy about is that council members aren't just voting based on the council member who's district it's in. I'm glad to see them operating in their own context.

So are they going to court now? lol we'll just have to wait and find out... maybe we'll get new apartments in the wedge by 2020

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 25th, 2014, 10:56 am

No:
Goodman
Yang
Interesting vote by Yang. I know a few Northsiders were lobbying him to vote no, presumably because they're afraid of setting a precedent that would cause even more teardowns in the area. I can't watch the video at work. If Yang made any comments, what was the essence of them?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 25th, 2014, 10:59 am

He made no references to northside teardowns or his constituents. He seemed pretty hung up on the argument that since an offer had been made (by Nicole Curtis or others), he saw that as meeting the definition of a "reasonable alternative" to demolition, even if not a formal purchase agreement.

All in all, the 11-2 vote was a huge victory for Lisa Bender. Hopefully she will be spared some vitriol since there was such broad concensus on the vote, though somehow I doubt it.

I'll just remind everyone that Lander's project will still have to go before the Planning Commission for site plan approval, even if they only need the one minor variance (something innocuous like parking setback from the building). Let's hope the project is a real winner and the naysayers are proven wrong on this one. This has the potential to be a strong addition to the neighborhood, both because of the active street frontage and the scale (4 stories, with the top level set back)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 10:59 am

I don't think the video's been posted yet, the Channel 79 video says it'll be up within 2 business days, and it's not on the YouTube channel yet. The CoW meeting was posted on YouTube the same afternoon it happened, so probably sometime today.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » April 25th, 2014, 11:00 am

LMAO I had to share this... someone posted on Nicole Curtis' facebook page "Camille Fiorillo: So sorry. You should hold a public wake in front of the house."

These people really are nuts about old homes aren't they? I mean I can understand if it really was significant and one of the very last homes of Healy's but... it's an ugly home and there are quite a few more of them.

WHS
Landmark Center

Postby WHS » April 25th, 2014, 11:03 am

Interesting vote by Yang. I know a few Northsiders were lobbying him to vote no, presumably because they're afraid of setting a precedent that would cause even more teardowns in the area. I can't watch the video at work. If Yang made any comments, what was the essence of them?
He did not exactly present a coherent rationale for his vote. He said something about hearing about how there had maybe been an offer, he wasn't sure, but it seemed like a relevant fact, and the offer was maybe less than Lander's, but it's still an offer, assuming it happened, which he didn't know, so anyway this was omitted from the HPC report so he's voting no. What bearing any of this has on 2320's historic nature, or Mike Crow's right to dispose of his property as he pleases, who can say.

He also mentioned the Facebook fights over the project and chided the opponents for heckling Bender, so good on him for that, I guess.

noodles
Block E

Postby noodles » April 25th, 2014, 11:07 am

He spent the bulk of his time talking about how this has been a hotly contested item, with a lot of passionate activity online. And then, without naming names, called out the vitriol about Lisa Bender that was posted by some of the preservationists.

Then said he thought there could maybe be some alternatives to tearing it down and voted nay. It definitely sounded like a tepid "nay" vote, knowing full well that it would pass.
Brian Udell
Springfield's Chief of Police.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 25th, 2014, 11:09 am

This is what rubs me most about this house being "historic" is I just don't see it. I understand it's old, but something being old doesn't automatically make it historic. There weren't any noteable historic figures living in this house. The best we can find is John Orth's son. John Orth doesn't even warrant his own Wikipedia article (not that Wikipedia is the be-all end-all source of notoriety, but there's a lot of pointless stuff that gets Wikipedia articles). And it's not even John Orth that lived here, it was his son.

I get that people want to save buildings, but I feel like we're doing historic preservation a disservice by calling this building historic. It's old, and that has value, but it's not historic.

anders
Block E

Postby anders » April 25th, 2014, 11:18 am

He also mentioned the Facebook fights over the project and chided the opponents for heckling Bender, so good on him for that, I guess.
Heckling? As in heckling in the Council chambers? Or do you mean the general mostly-online bullying tactics? Just curious if there was any kerfuffle today, or if people could behave like adults.