[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby Chip Whitley » October 8th, 2015, 7:11 am

Some updates on the Fremont and Cowboys. I walked by the Fremont Monday at about 9pm and they had contractors working in there. Work appeared to be getting very close. I don't think you'd pay for contractors working that late unless you had a hard, opening date rapidly approaching.

Also, driving by Cowboys this morning, there was a Pepsi and fruit truck parked outside the doors. I didn't actually see things being brought in but the lights were on. If they're bringing in perishable goods, they must be close to opening too.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 8th, 2015, 10:24 am

Pepsi? Now I'm 'for sure' never going to set foot there.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » October 8th, 2015, 11:53 am

Pepsi? Now I'm 'for sure' never going to set foot there.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 10th, 2015, 4:07 pm

The Fremont opened this weekend. They had their table and chairs on the front patio. The front door was wide open, and the entrance is now moved to the west end of the building. Why I had not noticed that until today , I don't know. They have full length windows to the patio area that can be opened up also. Missed those until today also.

Needless to say, the Cowboy has to open this week!! They have been sitting in almost mode for 2+ WEEKS NOW. There were staff milling around on the inside, but by 4:30 on a Saturday they should have been open with this kind of weather!!!! The door were closed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 13th, 2015, 7:43 am

Possible tragedy in LynLake: Twitter reports that Caffrey's has been closed, possibly since Saturday. Phones off the hook too. Apparently the bread delivery person showed up Sunday (they have a key) and no one was around.

I'm speculating (based on additional second-hand knowledge) this is due to a personal situation with the owner.

I'd stay tuned to Twitter to see if any current/former employees start sounding off.

All my prayers that this is a temporary closure.

Caffreys has some delicious sandwich recipes, but holy hell if it wasn't obviously poorly run. The place appeared to be a smashing success over the last decade, but there was absolutely zero reinvestment into their space. A place that delicious/successful should've had a second location by now, at minimum. An entrepreneurial type could buy that place and make millions based of that menu.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 13th, 2015, 9:13 am

Possible tragedy in LynLake: Twitter reports that Caffrey's has been closed, possibly since Saturday. Phones off the hook too. Apparently the bread delivery person showed up Sunday (they have a key) and no one was around.

I'm speculating (based on additional second-hand knowledge) this is due to a personal situation with the owner.

I'd stay tuned to Twitter to see if any current/former employees start sounding off.

All my prayers that this is a temporary closure.

Caffreys has some delicious sandwich recipes, but holy hell if it wasn't obviously poorly run. The place appeared to be a smashing success over the last decade, but there was absolutely zero reinvestment into their space. A place that delicious/successful should've had a second location by now, at minimum. An entrepreneurial type could buy that place and make millions based of that menu.

is Caffrery's the one that has had scaffolding outside it most of the summer? Between the Smitten Kitten and the old Falaf King? Old Yellow brick building, or is there another space in there also?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 13th, 2015, 9:55 am

No that was the former "country bar"

I will literally die if they go out of business.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 13th, 2015, 11:12 am

I will literally die if they go out of business.
Just gonna put it out there that I have a single cup of their macaroni salad from last Wednesday (kid didn't want to eat it) sitting in my fridge rn. Will freeze and sell to the highest bidder.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » October 13th, 2015, 11:20 am

Cowboy Slims is now open. I explored the whole place, to make the main indoor bar area as large as possible, the kitchen is in the basement. Likely why it appeared that this place was stalled for so long.

Two levels of rooftop, manager/owner/guy with cowboy slims t-shirt on seemed frustrated they couldn't get the place open sooner.

$2 dollar domestics during happy hour 3-6 and after 10
$3 dollar domestics during "the game" plus 18 wings for $5. What constitutes "the game" was not fully explained, I just drank the cheap beer.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » October 13th, 2015, 11:31 am

Also walked into Fremont. No specials, and literally no decor anywhere. Hopefully they can spruce the place up a bit because it looks like a hospital.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 13th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Also walked into Fremont. No specials, and literally no decor anywhere. Hopefully they can spruce the place up a bit because it looks like a hospital.
From what I could see when I walked by the front door was gray barn board. I did not walk in as they had a hostess at the door and I did not want to hassle just to get a peek inside.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 13th, 2015, 4:07 pm

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » October 14th, 2015, 11:07 am

"There isn't a person living in Uptown that hasn't had a post-bar close sandwich delivered."

*raises hand slowly*

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 14th, 2015, 11:16 am

"There isn't a person living in Uptown that hasn't had a post-bar close sandwich delivered."

*raises hand slowly*
Shuuuuuuun- uh

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6LWkcSIAAEBpJl.jpg

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 14th, 2015, 11:28 am

*raises hand slowly*
Same here. Change "post-bar close sandwich delivered" to "post-bar close Toppers delivered" and then I'd agree.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 14th, 2015, 11:31 am

Cowboy Slims is now open. I explored the whole place, to make the main indoor bar area as large as possible, the kitchen is in the basement. Likely why it appeared that this place was stalled for so long.

Two levels of rooftop, manager/owner/guy with cowboy slims t-shirt on seemed frustrated they couldn't get the place open sooner.

$2 dollar domestics during happy hour 3-6 and after 10
$3 dollar domestics during "the game" plus 18 wings for $5. What constitutes "the game" was not fully explained, I just drank the cheap beer.
Are they open, open or is it just a soft opening? They don't reference the location on their site or Facebook yet as being open other than changing their Facebook cover picture to the Uptown rooftop.

Also, anyone know when The Fremont is having their hard opening (that sounds wrong)? I know they had a soft opening on Friday and Saturday but they were closed Sunday.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » October 14th, 2015, 11:37 am

Dunno, both were open for business Monday evening.

Walking from Slims to Fremont, it wasn't hard to notice the dearth of people in the Uptown Tavern. As the Cowboy Jacks chain has slightly above average food, hopefully this will prompt the tavern to improve their barely fit for human consumption level of food.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 14th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Also, anyone know when The Fremont is having their hard opening (that sounds wrong)? I know they had a soft opening on Friday and Saturday but they were closed Sunday.
I think the term you're looking for is "grand opening" ;)

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » October 16th, 2015, 9:26 am

I went to both Cowboy Slims and The Fremont yesterday. I went to Cowboy Slims around 8 and the place was packed. Apparently the news that it's open has gotten out. It seems like the thing to do is get about 10 of your douchest friends and go there. A lot of large groups were there. I can't speak for service, I didn't feel like getting a table or fighting for attention at the bar.

I walked down to The Fremont and got a booth there. I was informed the place was "converting into a nightclub" at 9. I agree with the earlier comment about the decor. They apparently went for the modern, minimalist look. It might be fine for an apartment lobby but it didn't feel like the place you'd want to get drinks and stay a while. Very plain and dull. The service was decent. I got one of their specialty root beer drinks for $10. One thing I noticed is that they are not collecting tax. My bill was $10 for a $10 drink with no tax line on the receipt. That seems like trouble to me.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 16th, 2015, 9:39 am

Was it purchased over the bar? Cash transactions over the bar sometimes don't collect a line-item tax, to keep dollar amounts even for easy change. I think there needs to be a notification somewhere at the bar. The 'bar register' is the only place where this is allowed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.