[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Uptown Restaurant News

Postby EOst » July 30th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Given the slow pace of this gentrification and the ready availability of nearby cheap storefronts and real estate, I don't think "the cool part of town" shifting a bit is going to cause a lot of human misery.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 30th, 2014, 6:17 pm

Yeah, exactly. There are literally thousands of blocks in Minneapolis that effectively look the same way they did thirty years ago. I like complaining about crappy bars just as much as the next person but we don't have to do it all the time.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 30th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Well, clearly. We have to spend some time complaining about how ugly new development is.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » July 31st, 2014, 11:26 am

^That's incorrect. If you think hipsters would go to a lame suburban cowboy bar, you clearly misunderstand who that word is describing.
That is exactly why they would go there.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 31st, 2014, 11:28 am

^That's incorrect. If you think hipsters would go to a lame suburban cowboy bar, you clearly misunderstand who that word is describing.
Ah, the old "hipsters are ironic" canard.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 31st, 2014, 12:12 pm

It's not entirely wrong, but only when "irony" can own a place.

eg. Nye's can be ironic, because its real audience is on life support. This place I doubt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 1st, 2014, 11:19 pm

Apparently cowboys will have the run of the building. All tenants are out:

http://www.journalmpls.com/news/biz-buz ... -northeast
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 1st, 2014, 11:31 pm

What!? That's absurd!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » August 2nd, 2014, 7:21 am

I suspected there might be a rooftop bar when I saw a guy on the roof Thursday night when I was on the Libertine rooftop. I do enjoy Cowboy Jack's and that location will be packed. That's really a sucky thing to do to people though with the short notice.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 2nd, 2014, 2:56 pm

Wow there are/were apartments up there? Those must have been cool. They either 1) didn't actually get a week's notice, 2) got paid off for their week's notice, or 3) should sue the landlord for breach of lease. MN law does not allow less than a month's notice for residential tenants.
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 2nd, 2014, 3:32 pm

Building in question had a retail store above the Social House. No residential is involved. You might be thinking Williams Pub, but there too I believe those are businesses above that establishment.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 2nd, 2014, 8:01 pm

It's a really cool store too. Good thing is, they're relocating to NE. What they did was really awesome for the kids who want to be involved in art.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » August 2nd, 2014, 8:44 pm

There was at least one apartment in that building. The guy who had been living there back in 2011 also was involved with the property and businesses.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 3rd, 2014, 10:09 am

It seems I did not consider a fourth scenario, in which the "residential apartment tenants" referred to in the article do not in fact exist. I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt that MN state law applies to nonexistent leases.
"Who rescued whom!"

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 4th, 2014, 3:06 pm

It's a really cool store too. Good thing is, they're relocating to NE. What they did was really awesome for the kids who want to be involved in art.
Not sure if you saw this in the article, but the store is closing.

"The print shop and offices will move into the Thorp building at 18th & Central Avenue Northeast, and staff will continue teaching youth classes in the fall. The retail end of the shop will "hibernate," and staff will instead focus on the wholesale business and the national brand."

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Stop by and shop during our moving sale!
From their Facebook page.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 4th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Ah, the old "hipsters are ironic" canard.
Hipsters are one demographic that has enough taste to not give money to establishments like Cowboy Slim's. I mean, think about it, they wouldn't be able to load up the jukebox with a lot of great music you never heard of. And in all seriousness hipsters do play some great music. In any case, I'm pretty sure the mainstream music playing there sounds like nails on a chalkboard and would scare any away from even setting foot inside.

In any case, a Cowboy Jack's (not noticing any difference from the similarly named Cowboy Slim's aside from the name) just maintains Uptown's status as a brotopia like its twin the Warehouse Frats District ( which just so happens to already have a Cowboy Jack's and Jackson's Hole). The issue here is, what establishment in Uptown is opening that is as great as this place sucks? Lake & Lagoon is about as uniformly douchey as can be (here's a 2009 Vita.MN article on that topic which references the old Cowboy Slim's and rings just as true today). I couldn't help but notice that with my hometown's "Uptown", the Short North, although there are similarly douchey places opening up there are also some cool spots that have opened in recent years giving reasons to go even for people who aren't douchebag bros (redundant, I know). A couple of those include what have quickly become among the city's best coffee shops. A new Short North bar opened up just under a month after I visited (and I'm hitting it up ASAP next time I'm back in town) and a brief glimpse reveals something that you sadly never see opening in Uptown: been here over 2 1/2 years and nothing there has opened that compelled me hang out there. The toilet alone is reason enough to go. Yet when I go to Columbus I find new spots that I have to check out and they're even opening in that city's version of Uptown.

Sure, places like these could just cede the neighborhood to people with a penchant for orange tans and too-tight clothing and open elsewhere, but why is that the case with Uptown and not the Short North?
Last edited by Minneapolisite on August 4th, 2014, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 4th, 2014, 8:39 pm

The issue here is, what establishment in Uptown is opening that is as great as this place sucks?
The Walker Library?

So much hate...

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 4th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Unless I can get a boilermaker there and it's open after midnight...I was talking about more socially oriented places, not a place where you're supposed to be quiet. That's more "institution" than "establishment" anyway.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 4th, 2014, 8:46 pm

You know there's more to life than eating and getting drunk, right?