[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2016, 10:12 am

Electric Six was unavailable for comment.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 6th, 2016, 10:39 am

Thanks Matt. After all the talk I felt obligated to post the video.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » June 6th, 2016, 3:29 pm

Electric Six was unavailable for comment.
Actually, I heard the new space was going to be a combination disco and Taco Bell, until the fire department and the electrical inspector put the kibosh on it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 6th, 2016, 3:33 pm

It's the dance commander who gives those orders, actually.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » June 9th, 2016, 8:49 am

CP snipping about the Library space.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/th ... er-8339286

TommyT
Target Field

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby TommyT » June 18th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Apparently there is a new gay sports bar opening in uptown which will have volleyball according to a teaser I saw on FB. I wonder where this will be? it says the location will be announced in a few weeks and it will be l called game sports bar

TommyT
Target Field

Game Sportsbar

Postby TommyT » June 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Here is the facebook page for the new gay bar that is opening in uptown. According to their fb page the address is 2841 Hennepin Ave which seems to be Salsa a la Salsa's address? Anyone hear anything? Is Salsa closing?

TommyT
Target Field

Re: Game Sportsbar

Postby TommyT » June 27th, 2016, 10:09 pm

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Re: Game Sportsbar

Postby BBMplsMN » June 27th, 2016, 10:22 pm

The Uptown location isn't listed on the main Salsa a la Salsa website (www.salsaalasalsa.com), but I'm not sure that it ever was. The Salsa Uptown website is a little odd (www.salsauptown.com), but again, maybe it's always that way. I could still make an Open Table reservation.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 28th, 2016, 11:30 am

Confirmed with a friend who works for Salsa that it is closing and becoming Game Sportsbar

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 28th, 2016, 11:35 am

Gay bar scene <-------> Sports bar scene. I honestly didn't know there was that much overlap.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 28th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Yeah, we will see I guess. There are gay Sportsbars in other cities but they are in places like Boystown

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2016, 12:05 pm

The Uptown Salsa location was more or less a franchise of the parent restaurant (Loring Park and Midtown Global Market locations), and Kaskaid Hospitality (Crave, et al) was a partner/operator of the Uptown location. Kaskaid bought and remodeled Old Chicago into southern concept "Boneyard", which failed in under a year. The Salsa deal was likely a quick attempt at salvaging the costs they put into Boneyard, but it must not be working out very well. I wonder if Kaskaid has ownership interest in the new bar...

Surely someone can make a Mexican restaurant (even if anglicized and/or douchified) work in Uptown...it just won't be Salsa a la Salsa.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » June 28th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Gay bar scene <-------> Sports bar scene. I honestly didn't know there was that much overlap.
Yeah, I can't imagine gay guys having any interest in muscular men in tight outfits. :lol:

Joking aside, the Twin Cities LGBT community actually has a pretty sizable participatory sports scene as well. Just off the top of my head, there's a traveling rugby team, a hockey team, and an entire softball league. So yeah... someone tell the principal at Rydell High that we're both athletes and athletic supporters!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 28th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Huge volleyball community too!

Let's not with the boxes! Sports can totally be gay af.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 28th, 2016, 5:09 pm

I've never been in this building and hate to generalize, but it seems like a large space to be targeted toward such a small group of people. Hoping it does well though. Uptown needs more randomness like this.

LyndaleHoosier
Metrodome

Postby LyndaleHoosier » June 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Just because it's a sports bar in nature, doesn't mean only those interested in sports will go there. :) Plus, I'm sure they will take advantage of the outdoor space, which will be awesome for happy hour. I live in Uptown and while I don't watch sports or participate in a league, I'd still go have drinks there because it's convenient and friends would probably go. I'm sure this will have a decent amount of success.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 29th, 2016, 9:13 am

I've never been in this building and hate to generalize, but it seems like a large space to be targeted toward such a small group of people. Hoping it does well though. Uptown needs more randomness like this.
It is a rather large space, though I have to imagine it will attract more than just people in the LGBT community (Uptown does have bro bars, but does it have any sports-themed bars? I can’t think of any off the top of my head). Also notable is the fact that while the LGBT community is a small percentage of the overall state population, Minneapolis is very much overrepresented—something like 12-13 percent of the population, or about 1 in 8 people in the city. I have to imagine greater Uptown area's numbers might be even higher than that.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 29th, 2016, 10:37 am

My point was just that taking a fairly large space and marketing it primarily toward a small segment of a group that already represents only 12-13 percent of the population could be tricky. As you said, it'll probably have to be marketed less as a "gay sports bar" and more something a little more inclusive, like "sports bar that happens to be gay friendly" or something.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, though?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 29th, 2016, 11:04 am

Confirmed with a friend who works for Salsa that it is closing and becoming Game Sportsbar
Will the volleyball court replace the parking lot? I really hope so. There's enough district parking in the area.